PDA

View Full Version : from a t-maxx to an e-maxx..sort of

Jim511
11-28-2002, 05:51 PM
I am thinking about taking out my nitro engine, and making custom motor mounts to accomodate electric motors. I will lock the truck in forward, an remove the throttle servo, receiver battery, shifting servo, and tank. But everyone says I should get an emaxx tranny. Why can't I use the T-maxx tranny? It would be the same as using a nitro motor, just 2 speed gems sapphires, or 2 magnetic mayhems(or something around those) running out of 2 explorer 2's. So can you please help me out here no other forums seem to be helping me.

Crashmaxx
11-28-2002, 06:03 PM
Theres no reason you can't do that, but with those motors it won't be very fast. And the 2 speed won't always work, as the battery dies, it will become harder and harder to get it to spool up, that goes for the clutch on the spur too. But if you use a brushless motor, it would get rid of all these problems.

Jim511
11-28-2002, 06:17 PM
Well I have the explorer 2's lying around and im trying not to spend a lot on it. I might sell the trx .15, not sure yet, but would I be able to run titans off of my explorers?

Crashmaxx
11-28-2002, 07:52 PM
Yes, but they will go even slower, I think you would be better off with:
a: a new nitro engine( you can extange your trx .15 for a 2.5 for $100)
b. get a e-maxx tranny, will make better use of power you should be able to find one one ebay for under $50, then the speed gems could work, with the right gearing.

SixVi6-Camaro
11-29-2002, 03:54 PM
The 2 speed setup in a maxx is really not any different than a 2 speed in most electric RC's. The 2 speed in the maxx is just sealed. It will shift fine until the batts get really low. I've seen an electric t done using a large industrial brushed motor before and he had no 2 speed problems at all. The slipper slutch is the identical on both the Tmaxx and e-maxx the difference being the size of the spur gear so there will be no problems there. titans were designed for 14.4 volts... so runnig them on 7.2 will make them really slow. If I were to do it I'd run Mag Meyhams and a super rooster. Then play with the gearing a lot. I'd pick up a 65t spur gear and then several large pinions from like 16t-22t.

John

Jelo
02-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Jim and I are not the only ones interested in breathing new life into the old maxx.
According to this thread http://forums.radiocontrolzone.com/showthread.php?t=244308 the tranny might need to be reversed as part of your conversion from nitro to electric unless you reverse the motor's rotation?

Seriously though...if all I need is an e-maxx tranny installed backwards, this should be cake from there. Electric motor, speed controller and batteries are a given, of course.