PDA

View Full Version : Homemade aluminum chassis

Combatcm
12-01-2002, 06:08 PM
I own a Sandmaster, and an aluminum chassis would work wonders for it. I wanted to make an aluminum chassis for it. Where can I get a nice piece of 1/8 inch aluminum for it. The only tools that I can use is a Dremel, hacksaw, handheld jigsaw, and other small tools like files etc. Do stores like home depot sell aluminum? Can a dremel or hacksaw cut through it easily? How much would it cost?

Peterbilt
12-01-2002, 06:18 PM
www.onlinemetals.com

They can even cut the chassis to the right size for you for a LOW price:)

Combatcm
12-01-2002, 08:24 PM
Is .1 inch good for a chassis? Or .125? Would those black or silver colored drill bits drill through it good? Can a jigsaw with the right saw on it cut through it?

RCLuvit
12-01-2002, 09:35 PM
Use 6160-T6 aluminium at .125 inches, a little thicker goes a long way! A bi-metal blade of decent quality for your jigsaw will cut through even 1/4 thick aluminium, it just takes a little time. Cutting through steel can be rough, especially if it is hardened steel, but .125 inch thick aluminium would be an easy quick task for your jigsaw. Even 6160-T6 aluminium is a very soft metal, but very strong for its weight, and drilling and sawing through it is very easy on hardened tool grade steel blades and bits, just make sure you use some kind of oil (motor oil, WD-40, something like these is fine if you don't have cutting oil) while you are cutting to prevent the blade/bit from getting too hot, as getting them too hot will cause them to loose thier hardness/temper and they will dull very quickly.

NWLee
12-02-2002, 12:44 AM
Yeah what he said, cheap aluminum won't hold up and cheap tools won't work on the hardened aluminum.