PDA

View Full Version : Am I mad or…?

f2k
12-11-2002, 04:00 PM
Hi guys…

This might be a strange question but… well, here goes…

3 years ago I got into RC flying and enjoyed it very much. So much so, that I decided to get into RC cars as well.
So I invested in a Schumacher Axis 2 electric touring car and used it for half a year. To be honest, I wasn’t particularly impressed. The car didn’t really live up to my expectations (I’d been told that Schumacher was one of the very best in the business), but worst of all: it just lacked that little bit “extra” (like the power and sound of a nitro-engine).
So I eventually sold the car again and started to look for a proper nitro-monster instead.

So I started to buy RCCA and look through the articles. Man, I never imagined that there were that many cool cars out there (we don’t see that many different cars here in Denmark). But, I soon noticed, when a new car was released it would quickly be followed by a long list of hop-ups. So, I should not only invest in the car itself, I also had to invest in a lot of extra parts (well, of course I don’t have to – but in my opinion moulded plastic and powerful nitro-cars just doesn’t mix very well…).

So, here’s what I’ve been thinking about. Why buy the original car in the first place? With all those hop-ups out there, it should be possible to build a car entirely from scratch using only aftermarket parts. It might be more expensive, but on the other hand you could save a lot by not having to replace broken plastic parts all the time.

What do you think? Is it possible? Has it been done before? Am I a raving lunatic or…?

anothermbdusted
12-11-2002, 04:12 PM
although it is completly possible most of us dont have a few grand to drop at once into a customized rc car/truck.so they offer the parts to make more money from us and this also allows us to upgrade as our budget allows also.take a look at the ofna dominator extreme for a all out option packed truck if thats what you want.

HauntedMyst
12-11-2002, 04:13 PM
Its possible, but not every part in a kit is available convienently in an off the shelf package. You would end up spending quite a bit more buying a complete car peice by piece then you would buying the hop ups as you go.

Rookie Solara
12-11-2002, 04:22 PM
Think about this.....lets say you built your own car with all the eye candies alloy and carbon fiber........afterall, can you garantee your car is the fastest or baddest on your local track......?

The point of having after market parts is to improve SOME specific area, not the entire car......you still need the original chassis, and the most important part is, you need the KNOW the car first, from the original forms, afterall, these ppl have their own engineer to design their own car, will lots of research and modification, and finally let her go for finaly production.....

The last thing you want to see is some stock looking HPI beat you on the track and you just realized that AFTER MARKET parts does not garantee any victory........believed me, I've plenty of HPI outrun goodies like Serpent. Mugens or other big name TC.

Get to the basic, and again, Schumarcher IS a good brand.

InspGadgt
12-11-2002, 05:23 PM
It's possible...no your not nuts...but most times isn't the best way to build a car. Some cars these days you can pretty much buy allready fully hopped up..like the Team version of any Associated car, or the big name version of any Losi car (Matt Francis, Kinwald, ect). Those care come with all the hopups their pros use so there's no need to be hopping it up even more. Other cars the hopups really make a difference like say the HPI Micro for example. I am right now planning out a Tamiya F201 completely from hopups. But I would not recomend doing this on only your 2nd car. It takes experience and knowledge to learn what hopups do and do not make a difference in the car's handling...for better or for worse.

moorerc
12-11-2002, 10:26 PM
I'm sure you could make a 95% metal T-Maxx from 100% Aftermarket stock. Heck, you can even get aftermarket screws:rolleyes:

rocknbil
12-12-2002, 11:08 AM
F2K most of us have probably given that a thought, in fact once (in a much simpler time when I had entirely too much time on my hands!) I sat down with a catalog and added up the retail parts in a 10T kit, it came to about 130% the cost of the kit, and that's just stock parts, not hop-ups. However . . .

One of the things that happens when you stick with a particular model for a very long time is that a lot of parts that are still good wind up in your possession. A chassis appears out of nowhere. A full set of shocks just presents itself one day on your parts drawer. A transmission minus only a few items lies in wait in your toolbox. The spare ESC you bought in case the good one burns out, which never happens, is just collecting dust. The next thing you know, you realize that with just a set of tires and a few other items, you have a fully functional carbon copy of your first RC love. :D

So set your hop-up idea aside and plan for the clone that will someday find it's way to your bench!

f2k
12-13-2002, 10:53 AM
Oh, I see… Wonder who puts them there… Santa perhaps…? :-)

Anyway, it seemed to me that, when I raced electric, the things that broke on my car was always those that I did not have a replacement for…

But thanks for the advice guys, it seems that I might be better off forgetting about this dream until I finish Uni and (hopefully) starts to make some serious money…

In the mean time, I might just check out some of those special edition models – they do look kinda nice. Also, I’ve noticed that, every now and then, a really sweet car turns up on Ebay. Perhaps I might be lucky and get a good deal there…?

TRF Drive Hard
12-13-2002, 11:04 AM
I have built a TA03F from ground up, or from scratch like you say... every part i bought was paid at different times... from different manufactures/hobby shops/dealers... you name it... and all the parts i have on this chassis is an aftermarket part... how much did this cost me? ALOT! do i care? NO!:D heck it was well worth it... and right now i am working another one... i think this is my 4th project...;)

ted

rocknbil
12-13-2002, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by f2k
......it seemed to me that, when I raced electric, the things that broke on my car was always those that I did not have a replacement for…

DUDE that is SO CORRECT!!! I run GT's and oldstyle 10T's, which share a lot of parts, and have a rolling cabinet overbrimmed with parts, I mean almost EVERYTHING you'd think of, and when something needs replacing guess what's not in the box!!?? :D

....I’ve noticed that, every now and then, a really sweet car turns up on Ebay. Perhaps I might be lucky and get a good deal there…?

ABSOLUTELY but beware, keep in mind that 95% of the RC's on eBay have been grossly abused and will almost ALWAYS require a degree of work to get them up to par. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it.

Personally before I put anything up for sale on eBay I completely rebuild it, photograph and document as much as I can for proof against some dope who takes it out of the box and slams it into a curb, then tries to tell me it arrived broken, :D but most eBay sellers don't. Usually it's something small that they can't figure out, like they set their diff too loose and melted the diff balls into the gear, or a broken pull-start, stuff like that, but sometimes it can be big stuff. I once bought a GT with a starter box, the guy bragged about how the starter box made it easy to start, but when it arrived all the wires were totally fried! But I bought it assuming there were things wrong with it, and I would have rewired it anyway, so just beware of that.

I also got what appeared to be a piece 'o 'crap GT that when I got it and looked closely had a completely aluminum tranny and gears, with some other hop-ups . . . so indeed sometimes you can get some gems.

microrcdude
12-13-2002, 06:14 PM
Actually, it is a good idea to buy the car and then all the parts, because if you buy enough parts, you can take all of the stock parts, and bould another truck.