PDA

View Full Version : Everything DRIFT

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Ovalracer04
12-28-2002, 08:44 PM
Post EVERYTHING you know or want to know about drift style racing. Post pic's of your super sick drifters in action, the track you drift race on,and the best stuff to start with.

p.s.- I want to start doing it but have no idea where to begin.

MAXX 2.5
12-28-2002, 08:59 PM
in the newest issue of RCCA there is a whole article about drifting

S13 Drifter
12-28-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by MAXX 2.5
in the newest issue of RCCA there is a whole article about drifting

....Dear God.....:rolleyes:

Ovalracer04
12-28-2002, 09:07 PM
I'll have to pick one up. thanks

RC_MUSTANGRACER
12-28-2002, 09:49 PM
I'LL GET A COPY ASWELL;)

Skribble
12-29-2002, 01:27 AM
Go here (http://www.importthugs.com/videodownloads.asp), and d/l Tokyo street drift. It's like 10 cars following each other through Tokyo drifting. :)

MAXX 2.5
12-29-2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by S13 Drifter
....Dear God.....:rolleyes:
what???

4W Drifter
12-29-2002, 11:04 PM
I remember when someone would look at you funny if you said you drifted around a corner :rolleyes: Id go take some pics of my cars drifting with my new digi cam but its kinda hard with 2 ft of snow on the ground! hmm. Mabie i can get my sister to snap a few pics of me getten sideways in my real car. Just gotta find some way to bribe her to do it... http://www.probetalk.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_merlin.gif

Skribble
12-30-2002, 01:38 AM
Drifting .gif. Shows that your never too young to start!

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1244327.jpg

momosport
12-30-2002, 02:32 AM
Hey gang,

yes, many of you if you frequent the old HPI board may remember a Drifters Forum. One of the founders of the Drifter thread,Rob Gunning ( Robstoys ) wrote the article.

I've read the article and I think its a good example of how to get started, though some of the article was left out, but none the less.

We have a Drifter forum going again hit me up if you want more info. Im currently re-building my drifter so that it will accept a Trueno body that i got from japan.

Drift ON!

MOmo

spoolin
12-30-2002, 02:58 AM
Did somone say drift?? lol good to see some drifters here too! :)

http://www.imagemagician.com/images/spoolin/spoolindrift.gif

http://www.imagemagician.com/images/spoolin/df.gif

momosport
12-30-2002, 03:05 AM
Spoolin

SHOWOFF!

See you on HPI Bro!

MOmo

spoolin
12-30-2002, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by momosport
Spoolin

SHOWOFF!

See you on HPI Bro!

MOmo just so ppl get a idea of drifting ;)

S13 Drifter
12-30-2002, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by MAXX 2.5
what???

I just dont like the idea of seeing a Corvette-bodied RC "power-sliding" in RCCA, it will give REAL DRIFTING a bad name and RCCA will no doubt get it wrong...

spoolin
12-30-2002, 04:08 AM
I just dont like the idea of seeing a Corvette-bodied RC "power-sliding" in RCCA, it will give REAL DRIFTING a bad name and RCCA will no doubt get it wrong... ahha not a corvet WORSE a honahh civic hahaha it should be a s15 or somthing like a real drifter :p

bigmike216
12-30-2002, 05:08 AM
are thoose gifs you drifting?

S13 Drifter
12-30-2002, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by spoolin
it should be a s15 or somthing like a real drifter :p

<<<< See my nick...:p

spoolin
12-30-2002, 06:44 AM
<<<< See my nick...:p hehe exacly! lol

yeh thats me drifting in those gifs.

bigmike216
12-30-2002, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by Skribble
Drifting .gif. Shows that your never too young to start!

http://image1ex.villagephotos.com/1244327.jpg

that's my avatar image on many other forums!

SteveH
12-30-2002, 07:20 AM
Drifiting is cool. Just don't try it with a Monster Truck! Can you say "Roll over?"

Rampant
12-30-2002, 04:42 PM
What does everyone use to drift? Car? Motor? Tires? etc.

djm914-6
12-30-2002, 08:20 PM
Driftin' --- If you can't be fast, be flashy.

Any car (big or small) can be made to "drift". Set the car up a firm as possable with the hardest (least sticky) tires possable. A hot motor is nice, but not necessary. as you turn into a corner, lift off the throttle or stab the brakes to unload the rear tires and get them to slide. As the car starts to spin, fully counter steer and apply the throttle hard. At that point, you should be drifting (or at least sliding). The colder or wetter the pavement, the better too. On a corner, as you approach the apex, gently straighten the wheel to get the car back on track.

It's, by far, not the fastest way around the track, but it looks cool (and is a blast in a full size car).

GLA,

S13 Drifter
12-30-2002, 09:30 PM
Some people also tape their rear tires with electrical tape, to make the tires loose traction easily. I find really hard tyres like some older Eagles work better though.

Lapster
12-30-2002, 09:50 PM
What does drifting do to your tires, wear them down to the rim in a lap??

S13 Drifter
12-30-2002, 09:59 PM
Yeh you go through tires pretty quick, which is why its best to get cheap, nasty radials or hard slicks, dont use expensive brand racing rubber!;)

tc3pimp
12-30-2002, 09:59 PM
drift wisely

because you can loose control of your car and hurt it

I FOUND OUT THE HARD WAY :(

MIKE

momosport
12-30-2002, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by Lapster
What does drifting do to your tires, wear them down to the rim in a lap??

Not quite. We use hard compound tires and for the most part, we choose slicks. The harder the tires, the better. You can also try Tape, but thats for people who can drift Dry tire.

Tape is a bit trickier, and Cheaters use tape, RIGHT SPOOLIN?

Lots of options!

MOmo

spoolin
12-31-2002, 01:36 AM
pffffft i have tried drifting without tape and it doesnt work! i can drift about 4 meaters but thats it!

we all make mistakes tho....right??? :p

http://users.nac.net/rs-scooby/jynx/drifters/spin.gif

bigmike216
12-31-2002, 02:20 AM
would it be possible to get a close up shot of someone's taped tyres? I wanna see where you put it.

spoolin
12-31-2002, 02:39 AM
i havnt got any pics but i can explain it if you want

first the front tyres: put the tape on the insede of the front tyres and do about 3 layers.

rear tyres: put it dead in the centre of the tyres and do about 4 layers (if you keep spining try 3 layers)

hope this helps :)

bigmike216
12-31-2002, 02:44 AM
thanks, i wil lhave ti give it a try in the next couple of days.

NMT_RACER_BOY
12-31-2002, 09:42 PM
can you make a MSpaint drawing?
i would like to see how much tape you use.
Also, what tires and inserts do you use while drifting??

spoolin
12-31-2002, 11:52 PM
i will go take a photo with yellow elctrical tape on so you can see easy :)

momosport
01-01-2003, 10:32 AM
Be sure that when you are Drifting you tweek your suspension to have 4 degrees of Camber and not zero, you drift much better.

*exerpt from Drift article by Robstoys *

Camber:
Another important set up requirement for r/c drifting is your camber angles. You will need a gauge. Up front you will want your tires to have alot of camber, I recommend starting at 4 degrees. Your front wheels will look like this: /-------\ when viewed from the front. Looks stupid, but it works! In the rear, you will want very little camber. I suggest zero degrees. This will allow maximum front tire contact in a slide, with minimal rear tire contact in a slide to allow the car to drift, and to maintain it as well.

Tires:
You got to have tires. The harder your tires are the better. Again; put harder in the rear. I really like Tamiya hard compound slicks. They are cheap, hard and work really well. A firm molded insert in the rear gives great results, and a medium insert in the front is a good place to start.

with all setups, these are just a proven baseline. You will need to experiment with shock oil wieght, spring rates and tires to find what works best for your driving style, and your driving conditions.

As far as tape goes, tape CAN be tricky. If you can practice w/o tape at first just to get the feel of it. Then try tape later. The reason i suggest it is because with tape, you create a very slick surface and that may or may not cause problems with control.

Spoolin is the master of the tape drift, so don't think just by adding tape you'll drift like he does out of the gate. it takes work. He has done this for a while!

Spoolin, how long have we been at this?

MOmo

Goldfingiz
01-01-2003, 04:58 PM
Drifiting is great! I accidentally hit some ice the other day, which initiated a drift (RC car). I drife a FWD car, so no drifting for me yet =\ Soon enough I'll have that MR2 or 240 ;P

Goldfingiz

bigmike216
01-01-2003, 05:11 PM
i will go take a photo with yellow elctrical tape on so you can see easy :)

thanks, that would help alot.

CK9887
01-01-2003, 05:12 PM
After seeing this thread it makes me wish i still had my RS4 E-Rally. I used to be able to do some nice drifts but never though it was anything special until i realized so many other people had such a hard time drifting.

spoolin
01-01-2003, 08:45 PM
just finished my focas...well half finished i still have to put some carbon on;)

pics of the tape will be up in 20 min :)

http://www.imagemagician.com/images/ps/focus3.jpg

spoolin
01-01-2003, 09:18 PM
here is the rear of the car (tape in the centre of the tyre)

http://www.imagemagician.com/images/ps/tapexrear.jpg

this is the front of the car (tape on the inside of the tyres)

http://www.imagemagician.com/images/ps/tapexfront.jpg

hope this helps you guys :)

NMT_RACER_BOY
01-01-2003, 11:03 PM
spoolin, thanx for the pic, sweet car!
Info on the tires? 24mm or 26mm? who makes it and which compound?

thanx alot

BAC5.2
01-01-2003, 11:44 PM
hmm, im gonna have to give that a shot on my Micro RS4, awd didnt really drift to well, espically in stock trim...

spoolin
01-02-2003, 12:06 AM
no worries

Wheels: im not to sure of the name but they are 24mm
Tyres: HPI35r tyres
Insurts: eagle racing medium insurts

and for the micro i used to have one and i wouldnt stop it from drifting!

bigmike216
01-02-2003, 01:51 AM
thanks for the pics spoolin!

BAC5.2
01-02-2003, 02:24 AM
no worries

Wheels: im not to sure of the name but they are 24mm
Tyres: HPI35r tyres
Insurts: eagle racing medium insurts

and for the micro i used to have one and i wouldnt stop it from drifting!

really? mine wont break a tread on clean asfault, full battery, it will just stick. but the tape thing might not be a bad idea :)

it slides around my living room like you wouldnt believe though!

spoolin
01-02-2003, 04:20 AM
yeh tape works great ;)

greenmuse
01-02-2003, 11:04 AM
im hobo dan from the hpi,and rccarboard(has this finally went defunct?)

im a tape drifter too,it takes alot of practice to keep from just doing endless donuts.but i find it well worth the effort.of course i cannot come anywhere close to spoolins ability.

i use a tl01 to do my drifting,its powered by a mvp,and it has all the goodies that is required to make it a decent car.robs article was great,but the civic body wasnt good at all.shoulda been a s15.

spoolin
01-02-2003, 09:56 PM
ohhh i still havnt seen the artical! wont be here for at least another month :(

I was doing some tape drift last night! realy big ones..i mesured it out and it was around 29meaters!!!!! i cant believe how well it was drifting! so smooth and easy with lots of power! but in the last few drifts i broke another outdrive:(

all in good fun tho :)

curbcheck
01-02-2003, 10:51 PM
i like drifting in my full-size '96 impala ss. get going slowly around a corner and nail it and the back end gets to about a 45 degree angle and then you slowly feather the gas and work the wheel to get her back straight without smacking your passenger's head off the pass. side window!;) then and only then are you "one with the vehicle." gotta love it!!!

S13 Drifter
01-02-2003, 11:52 PM
I dont Know how you guys drift with your fronts taped, you want traction at the front. If I tape the front it just slides out upon turn in, so I prefer no tape on the front.;)

skylude
01-03-2003, 12:18 AM
ahha not a corvet WORSE a honahh civic hahaha it should be a s15 or somthing like a real drifter :p

the real drifter is the 86 trueno thats one of the best drifting cars in japan

S13 Drifter
01-03-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by skylude
the real drifter is the 86 trueno thats one of the best drifting cars in japan

WAS the best drifter...
Most common now are S15's and 180sx's, the AE86s just dont have the midrange torque of the turbos.

aznTAMIYAdriver
01-03-2003, 12:55 AM
almost anything set up right is good for drifting.... the ae86 is pretty much the honda civic of drifting

S13 Drifter
01-03-2003, 12:58 AM
I wouldnt go that far:p

AudiTT-Quattro
01-03-2003, 01:28 AM
Hehe. :D

Hey spoolin (and everyone else),

I'm having a little trouble "getting out of" a drift. I can control drift through a turn pretty much perfectly but when it comes to re-gaining control of the car I usually spin out a bit and tend to oversteer.

Some tips?

Ease off throttle?

I read the articles at Access R/C and it seems to have helped me a lot.

I drive a TC3 with all the recommended setups. Worn tires everything.

Best of all, NO TAPE! I guess its just that my tires are REALLY worn and old.

Thanks.

spoolin
01-03-2003, 03:19 AM
i think the main thing is the right tyres! and practice! i have only drifted the pro 3 and each car handels different so i think all you have to do is practice! :)

Cychalen
01-03-2003, 06:55 AM
I think the trick is to predict what the car is going to do (oversteer in this case) and correct it in advance. It is already too late to regain control once you see it oversteering.
Practice is the only way. :)

slid'in sideway
01-03-2003, 09:46 AM
I guess at point I'm a little surprised that drifing is such a big thing I thought ever one knew how to do it. One the best places I've seen for watching has to be on Speed Channel when they show the WRC( World Rally Championship) or the WOO( World Of Outlaws) or Late Model Dirt Oval Cars or if you like two wheels, The AMA Dirt Oval Motorcycle Championship or the SGP( Speedway Grandprix or SWC( Speedway World Cup). The one that impresses me most is the motorcycle speedway riders, even though they may not be going as fast as some of the others, think of the kind of balance and control it takes to do that especially when they race on a day when it's raining.
Just my .02. Have Fun.
Slid'in Sideway

megaman
01-03-2003, 10:08 AM
finally, drifting! i love it, but i have to ask a couple questions: how would a locked/unlocked diff effect drifting? and also are all you guys drifting with 2 or 4 wheel drive cars? i just want to know cause ive been trying to drift and its real tough for me, but then again i have a stadium truck, so you never know. ah well, thanks, later.

MAXX 2.5
01-03-2003, 11:45 AM
hey has ne one tried drifting a off road truck???

4W Drifter
01-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by megaman
finally, drifting! i love it, but i have to ask a couple questions: how would a locked/unlocked diff effect drifting? and also are all you guys drifting with 2 or 4 wheel drive cars?

If you lock up your diff it would probably make it easier to drift but then you car would handle like a wet sponge once you get traction. The best thing to do would be to get the heaviest grease you could find (for a gear diff) to slow the diff action down.
As for the cars, most of us use 4WD since its much easier to get a 4WD to drift than a 2WD although I have seen it done with a 2WD.

djm914-6
01-03-2003, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by AudiTT-Quattro
Hehe. :D

Hey spoolin (and everyone else),

I'm having a little trouble "getting out of" a drift. I can control drift through a turn pretty much perfectly but when it comes to re-gaining control of the car I usually spin out a bit and tend to oversteer.

Some tips?

Ease off throttle?

I read the articles at Access R/C and it seems to have helped me a lot.

I drive a TC3 with all the recommended setups. Worn tires everything.

Best of all, NO TAPE! I guess its just that my tires are REALLY worn and old.

Thanks.

You don't want to get off t he throttle at all. What's happening is your front tires have more traction than the rears, so the rear steps out more and spins the car. Getting off the throttle puts more weight on the front,giving it more front traction and making the car spin out faster. You need to get more traction on the rear tires to stop spinning out. Try goosing the throttle slightly to shift the cars weight rearward. The secret is not putting too much power to the rear wheels so that they break traction even more.

Read up on car control here: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/physics_racing/index.htm

Sure it's for full sized cars, but the physics are the same.

Dave

noRCforNOW
01-03-2003, 03:10 PM
AudiTT-Quattro : you drift an Tc3? tell me how.. i will buy soon an TC3 or XXXS or even an TL 01 LA but i dont know which to choose. i dont want to spend all my money in and i dont want a cheap RC in plastic like Tyco R/C. well.. is it hard to set your TC3?
which kit is it? racer, team or FT? cuz i might take a RACER kit cuz i dont want to spend all my money and it will be my first REAL RC.

thanks

AudiTT-Quattro
01-03-2003, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I swapped to some harder tires and shocks in the front and that seems to have helped alot. Guess its just a matter of practice now for me.

AudiTT-Quattro
01-03-2003, 04:41 PM
noRCforNOW,

The TC3 is "known" to be a harder car to make drift. I own a FT TC3, but I've swapped out some of the blue aluminum stuff such as the shaft and the battery bar to make the car more responsive (ie. car balanced along the shaft). I think the Racer kit is great out of the box and doesn't really need any hop ups to make very competitive. The FT TC3 is just for looks.

The TL-01 in my opinion is VERY limited ESPECIALLY at drifiting. The 185mm width doesn't help it drift very well either. The gearing is also very limited (ie. harder to get the speed and torque you want). But if your just starting out in the hobby, everyone recommends this car as a first.

The XXX-S is at about the same level as the TC3 if not better as in handling wise. The TC3 has something known as "torque steer" meaning it will tend to lean to one side when accelerating because its shaft driven whereas the belt driven XXX-S does not.

Ultimately, its your decision on which car you get. But one important factor is checking the parts availability for that particular car at your LHS.

I followed the guide for drifitng at Access R/C (http://******************).

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Err, sensors don't seem to like c-j-b sites.

Try http://accessrc.c-j-b.net without the dashes.

brassmonkey
01-03-2003, 05:18 PM
Man, drifting sounds cool. How good are Mirco RS4s at drifting? I currently have a nmt, but I've been thinking about a micro for a while now, If micros can drift I might acually get one, that is, if I think I can maintian my nmt AND a micro RS4...

Ovalracer04
01-03-2003, 06:20 PM
Around what turn motor do you guys use in your cars?

JewlzTime
01-03-2003, 06:27 PM
Here is my drifter. Seems people here really like silvia's so here is a.....SILVIA!!! haha. Anyways, this is my first r/c, first body, first everything. But drifting is the bomb. The car is a XXXS. :D :cool: :D

http://user.netomia.com/MeAndZiyi/108-0895_IMG.JPG

momosport
01-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Nice to see this thread growing!

Ovalracer04
Around what turn motor do you guys use in your cars?

Most of the hardcore drifters ( OLD HPI Board ) stick to stock or mild mod motors. You want torque not speed. I would say a motor in the 15-19, or 24 degree stocker should do the trick. Im going to be using a GM3 from Banzai motors. Hobo dan (greenmuse) uses an MVP, Others use various other motors. Hot Mods don't necessarily get you drifting, even if they cause no traction from sheer speer!

brassmonkey
How good are Mirco RS4s at drifting? If micros can drift I might acually get one.

I have heard that the Micro is a good drifter on smooth glass-like surfaces. I have a couple vids of a Micros drifting around a homemade track and its pretty cool. Not sure how it will drift on pavement, but for indoor drifting, I hear they are great. [COLOR=green]

AudiTT-Quattro
The TL-01 in my opinion is VERY limited ESPECIALLY at drifiting. The 185mm width doesn't help it drift very well either. The gearing is also very limited (ie. harder to get the speed and torque you want).

I disagree, I hear from many people who have TLO1s and they can get them to drift great. The car will need a bit of "tweeking"but so does any car in order to drift it. Glad to see that a TC3 WASable to drift. I have 2, my FT for race and my Team (converter to rally). As for the other cars, the XXXS and the TC3 and Pro3 all have similar Characteristics and the CG is lower and very blalnced. These cars are a little more work than a RS4 or TLO1. IMO.

MAXX 2.5
Hey has ne one tried drifting a off road truck???

I tried my Kyosho Pathfinder w. a 17t stock, and its very top heavy. I can spin in Reverse, but driftinga big truck is tricky. With a buggy and truck (offroad) I think its pretty easy, its all in control.

Megaman
but i have to ask a couple questions: how would a locked/unlocked diff effect drifting? and also are all you guys drifting with 2 or 4 wheel drive cars?

I know that a couple people are experimenting w/ a locked diff and or front one-way. Results are inconclusive, and results may vary. Most Everyone is using 4wd drifters. B4 I tore my drifter down, I blew my front diff ring and took out my front belt, leaving me w/ RWD. Its tricky to get started, however I had a friend try and he found it controlable. I know ROBSTOYS ( drift article autor) is currently building a RWD drifter that will be completed soon. Reports to follow. If I can make my current Drifter into RWD, I may turn my TAO3 into a drifter IF I can find parts an a manuel for it.

JewlzTime Nice looking car!

S13 Drifter / Skylude
the real drifter is the 86 trueno thats one of the best drifting cars in japan / WAS the best drifter...
Most common now are S15's and 180sx's, the AE86s just dont have the midrange torque of the turbos.

Not necessarily. The AE86 has a cult folowing and you can do upgrades to the motor. There are several racers in japan who still use the AE86 platform. S15s, 180s, and mazda FDS, and FCs are also good choices. Even larger sedans like the Gloria and Is300 are taking off as drifters. I am trying to get some FC, FD, sil180s, and other drifter type bodies for my RC. I already have a LE Lights up Trueno. I hope to have it finished soon. Thats the trouble is that the true to form Drifter style cars are RWD or 4wd. Not many shells compliment that. I think that is why several people groaned at the choice of a Civic for a drift shell for the RCCA article. The EG6 is a popular car as well but it relies on the Ebrake for initiating drift.

Keep it up!

MOmo

YR4-M2 PRO
01-03-2003, 08:52 PM
the AE86 is still the drift king,its light and well balanced,with all the money you save buying it instead of a fc/fd or a silvia, you can buy a racing engine like a sr20 or a 4ag racing engine

S13 Drifter
01-03-2003, 09:36 PM
pffft.

The S13/S15 is definately the best platform for drift cars, I know that coming from me sounds biased but its true. I have over 10 hours of Japanese drift video in my possesion, and here is a list of the most common cars at drift meets.

1. 180sx (including 185's)

2. S15 Silvia (gaining preference due to lowering prices, newer etc.)

3. S13 Silvia (getting overtaken by 180sx and s15)

4. Misc. - I like to put cars like Chasers and MK IIs here, along with GTS-t R32s, Cefiros, laurels, then FD, FC etc.

5. AE86. These used to be easily #2, but they are getting old. ( its rare to see anything older than 12 years in Japan ) There is no doubt they have the goods for drifting, but the engines are more difficult to extract power and drifters have to work harder to get a good angle and keep it sliding. Corners are normally entered at high speed, as they lack the mid range touque to get through the corners at slower speed.

Most of the AE86 cars I see now are having major transplants to remain up to par with the top #3 cars. A lot now have atleast 4AGZE supercharged engines or Silvia engines. Ive seen more than 5 cars with full suspension cradle modifications to accept Silvia parts.

The silvias are undeniably good drifters from stock. Most only need tighter supsension and exhaust mods to get started, at which time driver skill becomes the defining factor. The fact that parts are easily obtainable and the starting price of a s13 is quite cheap also helps.

Ovalracer04
01-03-2003, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the info momosport.
JewlzTime thats a great looking car!

noRCforNOW
01-03-2003, 11:27 PM
audi TT : cool.. sounds like ill pick the TC3 in one month the time that i sell my buggy(i already sold it but need to ship it )

thanks

spoolin
01-04-2003, 06:40 PM
Here is the car that RCCA was SUPPOSSED to use in the drift artical robstoys racing's phat Altezza i just loove the look of the Altezza :eek:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid45/p22639b1b960cdd863403a0454af0471c/fcd52148.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid45/p616c969a3fc62747510a00ece8860d58/fcd52015.jpg

brassmonkey
01-04-2003, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the reply momosport, I heard there use to be drifting threads in the old HPI forums, it would be great if one of you guys started one in the NEW (unofficial) HPI forums. Right now, the only really active forum is the truck section, but the forum is growing fast, and we are moving to a faster server because we are growing at the rate we are.

click me to go to the unoffical HPI forums (http://forums.rcinfo.co.uk/viewforum.php?f=5)

Goldfingiz
01-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Two words: SIL EIGHTY!

Some of you will know what I'm talking about ;P

Goldfingiz

noRCforNOW
01-04-2003, 09:55 PM
yup ! i know what your talkin' about :) the sil 80 is so cool.. its one of the best drfit car(i know i know.. theres the trueno,r32,s14,s15,Fc,Fd... but its one of the best !)
with an SR20det.. its almost as powerfull as an R32.

S13 Drifter
01-04-2003, 10:05 PM
Onevia's and 185's are nicer than Sileightys;)

All have the same chassis and power as a normal S13 Silvia though, its just the body style.

spoolin
01-04-2003, 10:31 PM
Im not to sure what you guys call it in the US but my fav its a 180sx rps13 with the ruond looking tail lights! thats still my fav and then the s15

two words ABC Bodies then we would have the sil 80, r32 GT-R, 180sx EVERYTHING including the Trueno! :(

PtCruiser2003
01-04-2003, 10:36 PM
not only is there an article in rcca about drifting but it says there is a movie on this website about drifting. But, there is no movie.

4W Drifter
01-04-2003, 10:40 PM
if you really want a movie just got to yahoo or something and do some searches. Ive downloaded about 150 different clips from just two sites. Unfortunaly those two sites went down a few months ago and havent been back up. Just do some searching and youll prolly find a few.

S13 Drifter
01-04-2003, 10:59 PM
Im not to sure what you guys call it in the US but my fav its a 180sx rps13 with the ruond looking tail lights! :(

That would be a late model, post 1996 180sx. Very nice.

spoolin
01-05-2003, 01:29 AM
yeh! very nice!

well i just put some new LED lights in my LS430 for some filming tonight! so i will keep you updated :)

http://www.imagemagician.com/images/gtr/myxcars/lights.jpg

ultimaxxracer
01-05-2003, 02:33 AM
can u drift with a nitro tc, like an ntc3

spoolin
01-05-2003, 03:59 AM
You can but the higher CG (center of gravity) makes it harder, I have never tried to drift nitro but im sure its possible :)

bigmike216
01-05-2003, 05:04 AM
i was thinking the same thing... we shall find out tomorrow..

NitroSafari
01-05-2003, 10:20 AM
DRIFT ON!!!!! :D

spoolin
01-06-2003, 12:05 AM
Well i went out drifting last night just testing my car becuase i changed a few things....was on my last drift and i was a bit close to the gutter...not to worry my 10t tripple ill get my out right? wrong all the tape had come off my rear wheels hit the gas and turned UNDERSTERR yuuuuuk smack..........rear suspension arm....... :(

S13 Drifter
01-06-2003, 01:41 AM
LOL!

Oh well, what kind of drift car is without battle scars?:D

spoolin
01-06-2003, 04:02 AM
LOL true but i will send back the arms to hpi becuase they are the old skool arms and they were all recalled :)

Karakoram
01-06-2003, 08:45 AM
Hey,
Was just thinking with all this interest in r/c drifting is there any drift racing that’s done….. sorta like in those *** drift videos. Surely that could provide an alternative to the usual touring car racing

momosport
01-06-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by brassmonkey
Thanks for the reply momosport, I heard there use to be drifting threads in the old HPI forums, it would be great if one of you guys started one in the NEW (unofficial) HPI forums.

On the HPI Europe forum much like the HPI forum we are now on V2 of the Drifter forum. We'll work both if needed as well as another Drifter affiliate is producing a site as well that should take off. Myself, Spoolin, Shockwave and a few others are all Drifter afficionados so feel free to use this and other sitesf for resources.

Spoolin, Yeah Robs car is pretty cool. I have a Lex, but its going to be Rally. I have plans for it. Eventually when $$ is in the Black I will get another.

MOmo
[/i]

S13 Drifter
01-06-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Karakoram
Hey,
Was just thinking with all this interest in r/c drifting is there any drift racing that’s done….. sorta like in those *** drift videos. Surely that could provide an alternative to the usual touring car racing

Option. Drift video magazine. Its all in japanese and you have to import 'em though.

momosport
01-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Option. Drift video magazine. Its all in japanese and you have to import 'em though.

You might also check w/ local Asian markets. i have a grocery store in the area and in the corner it has a bookstore w/ a variety of magazines and books all in japanese and other languages. I occasionally get the OPTION magazine and I did purchase one video, but it was spendy for a COPIED TAPE!!! Still cool though. I got inspired by a few cars to possibly do paint schemes for drifting.

I also know my local Import Tuner shop carries videos as well. If you know of any Import shops in your area you can ask them.

MOmo

momosport
01-09-2003, 02:57 AM
For those interested in DRIFT, I am trying to help a friend who is working on creating a RC DRIFT website. I am looking for ideas about what might be useful for those wanting to learn to drift as well as real car drifting.

Any help is appreciated.

MOmo

S13 Drifter
01-09-2003, 03:49 AM
That sounds like a cool site!

If you have any questions about real drift, or need some info. Ill be happy to help. I also know a fair bit about Silvias which might come in handy. Just let me know.;)

momosport
01-09-2003, 05:18 PM
I noticed RCCA finally posted the DRIFT VIDEO so be sure to check it out. I havent seen it, but I have lots of drift vids here on my home PC. If you aren't convinced of how much skill is needed, you will now!

S13

PM me and let me know how to contact you. I don't want to post the location yet (since its a competing site w/ RCCA) but i will give you more detail OFF the forum. This goes for others that might have information.

MOmo
!

S13 Drifter
01-09-2003, 10:20 PM
PM sent!

hellbilly
01-09-2003, 11:37 PM
spoolin, i saw that you had .GIF's of your R/C drifting. do you have any videos? i am very interested in seeing them if you do. e-mail me and let me know if you have any i can download.

Goldfingiz
01-10-2003, 02:30 AM
Found a nice smooth parking lot near me. There was a TINY bit of condensation (you can see little marks on the ground). With precise control, I was able to nicely drift my stock TC3...very fun and exciting stuff! My friends and I are addicted...no need to drift in our real cars...haha :D

Goldfingiz

bigmike216
01-10-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Goldfingiz
...no need to drift in our real cars...

there is always the need for drifting your real car.. :D

AudiTT-Quattro
01-10-2003, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by bigmike216

Agreed. :D

Goldfingiz
01-10-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by bigmike216

That's true :) I can't do it though, because I have FWD. My friends S2000 is fun though :D

Goldfingiz

YR4-M2 PRO
01-10-2003, 09:22 PM
fwd? or you mean FF, use the e brake. lots of fun, but then the rear tires wear out fast.

YR4-M2 PRO
01-10-2003, 09:22 PM
fwd? or you mean FF, use the e brake. lots of fun, but then the rear tires wear out fast.

AudiTT-Quattro
01-10-2003, 09:44 PM
That might not be a good drifter but OH MY GOD!

Goldfingiz
01-10-2003, 10:20 PM
Simply pulling the e-brake isn't drifting, that's more of a slide. Let's not kill this thread with ricer pics =\

Goldfingiz

YR4-M2 PRO
01-10-2003, 10:27 PM
drifting is pretty much sliding,duh! drifting is for 4wd and FR drive train cars, but they still use the e brake, while power sliding is for FF cars, FF uses the e brake more. plus thats not a ricer car, it was a joke, dont take it seriously, plus dont post domestic cars like mustangs in this forum.....................:mad: .................

momosport
01-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Goldfingiz
Simply pulling the e-brake isn't drifting, that's more of a slide. Let's not kill this thread with ricer pics

Using the ebake in a FWD isn't drifting its called @55 Dragging. In a Rwd, or FR they sometimes initiate a drift with pulling the e brake. For those w/ Fwd, we tend to use trays to slide on.

Drift isn't that easy to do. My friends and i practice all the time but I would be careful when and where you choose to do it. We choose open lots and roads less traveled late at nite.

It is Illeagal, so keep that in mind!

MOmo

rx78gp03s
01-11-2003, 12:35 AM
the day i see local races at my lhs and everyone's doing drifting with their touring car is the day i retire my rs4 pro, and build myself a custom clod or txt and run it as my touring car.
well that or i learn how to powerslide instead.

Goldfingiz
01-11-2003, 03:08 AM
Here are two RC drift video's :)

http://www.team-orion.co.jp/hpi/yoshioka.mov
http://www.team-orion.co.jp/hpi/yodo.mov

Goldfingiz

slid'in sideway
01-11-2003, 07:37 AM
I, myself would like to know why there are some that don't want people talking about drifting, which is basicly sliding there domestic cars, a slide or drift is the same thing and can be done with front wheel drive, rear wheel drive, four wheel drive, and it can be done two wheels, if you're good enough.

S13 Drifter
01-11-2003, 08:44 PM
Real drifters only need the E-brake if a corner gets tighter, but a proper drift car only needs a yank on the wheel and a stab at the accelerator to get sliding, then its all pedal work.

flsurf420
01-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Real drifters only need the E-brake if a corner gets tighter, but a proper drift car only needs a yank on the wheel and a stab at the accelerator to get sliding, then its all pedal work.
we are still talking about rc right?

AudiTT-Quattro
01-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by flsurf420
we are still talking about rc right?

LOL. The e-brake part kinda gives it away.

S13 Drifter
01-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Hahaha!

I guess we talk about real and RC drift here.

PtCruiser2003
01-12-2003, 12:55 AM
there was a guy at the local track that had a tc3 that everytime he drifted you could hear the tire skweek. It was one of the sweetest effect i have ever seen.

spoolin
01-12-2003, 10:35 PM
here is part of a old drift video i made of my RC car made this about 1 year ago....i will have tome better drifts onb camera soon. :)

http://users.nac.net/rs-scooby/jynx/drifters/video2.wmv

bigmike216
01-12-2003, 10:41 PM
what's the name of that song? I know who it's by... but cant remember the name..

hellbilly
01-12-2003, 10:43 PM
that was awesome. perfect music, beautiful shots, seemed almost like a commercial. keep up the good work.

i highly reccommend everyone download that file.

spoolin
01-12-2003, 11:22 PM
The song is by moby its callked porcilin or somthin

thanks guys:) here is anorther part of it

http://users.nac.net/rs-scooby/jynx/drifters/video.WMV

bigmike216
01-12-2003, 11:28 PM
porcelain, that's it. thanks!!

RC_MUSTANGRACER
01-13-2003, 01:42 AM
where do you guys drift?:) [COLOR=blue]

rx78gp03s
01-13-2003, 02:59 AM
i find driftin on carpet to be absolutely controllable and fun

NitroSafari
01-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Them vids r mint spoolin,wish i had the gear to make stuf like that :D dug out my old rally car yday started second pull after a year n a half of dust collectin its cumin to work with me on satday for a bit of driftin the boss has bin beggin to see it

KEEP DRIFTIN JIM

Ovalracer04
01-13-2003, 04:34 PM
spoolin,
My jaw droped to the floor when I saw your vid's. That is by far the coolest thing I have ever seen a remote control car do. Amazing just amazing.

spoolin
01-13-2003, 05:33 PM
heheh thanks guys:) In a few days i will have some better drifts on camera :)

momosport
01-13-2003, 07:23 PM
I have a vid someplace too. Its over 10 min of footage, but the stuff that got made isn't a good representation of my drifting. Still cool though. My buddy Q45GUY shot the video. We mounted a single light on it so it would show up.

I'll try and find where its posted and link it here.

MOmo

spoolin
01-13-2003, 08:29 PM
yeh i remember seeing that vid

I think this thread is in the wrong place....shouldnt it be in the electric touring thread? :confused:

sLiTcH
01-13-2003, 08:56 PM
What is the best car to drift with in Gran Turismo 3 on ps2 ? I tried the Mustang SVT Cobra but the Trueno doesn't seems to be strong enough in numbers. What are S15 and things like that. Sorry i'm only 15 years old and I'm the opnly one in the family who interests to cars

rx78gp03s
01-13-2003, 09:14 PM
i think u can do it with any car in grand tourismo3. u just have to alter the car's physic's a bit. i dont' kno the much bout the optins, but.... take down force out of ur rear. change the gear ratio's for a fast acceleration. because u want torque to make the tires spin out i think. but yah, go try that .

YR4-M2 PRO
01-13-2003, 10:19 PM
www.gamefaqs.com has a drifting faq for gran turismo 3

S13 Drifter
01-13-2003, 10:22 PM
My favourite drift car on GT3 is a Mazda RX7 (FD) Type RZ.

Spoolin: I like the vid! Great how you hit the leaves sideways and they blow up, very nice!;)

rx78gp03s
01-13-2003, 10:33 PM
ever wonder why the rx7 is sooo popular? it only has one piston!!! uses a rotary engine to power itself. it gets torque from RPM. How? i dont kno.... ask my tech teacher

momosport
01-14-2003, 02:47 AM
OK, as promised, here is the Vid of my Silvia drifter. I admit that its not showing a whole lot of drift action, but there is enought tailsliding to show you the possibilities.

http://home.attbi.com/~q45guy/rcdrift1.wmv

sLiTcH
First off, welcome to the DRIFTER Thread.
As for the GT3 Drifter cars. Anything with a RWD or a 4wd. The big thing, as with RC Drifting, you want to adjust the camber, which means purchasing the sport suspension, not necessarily the full suspension. i find the middle choice gives the camber adjustmet. I have a souped up RX7 ( yellow of course) Two Truenos ( panda and the Shingo version ) S13 ( 2 tone w/ 400+ hp) and a host of others. I find going into the Run and Settings selection from the garage and choosing the "COMPLEX STRING" track works the best. Lots of corners to let it all hang out. I find setting up most RWD or 4WD with about 4 degrees of camber or more makes it drift nice and smooth. Its all about control.

MOmo

rx78gp03s
01-14-2003, 03:18 AM
if u call that drifting, i am affraid for your drifting kind. i maybe saw ONE, and i really mean one good drift but htats about it. all i really saw was just like runnin the car randomly in circles. i mean like i could do power slides that look waaay more impressive then that video any time.

TrZA
01-14-2003, 08:27 AM
i was working on my TL-01 last night putting on the electrical tape on my tires (got the idea from spoolin), and i was drifting in my basment on my carpet, when all of a sudden, POW! i smoked the wall and i completely ripprd off the front of my Impreza Body! now the whole front of my chassis is showing and, after a long summer of bashing, my body is headed for the dumpster. but there is one good thing i got out of this, i discoverd the ancient oart of DRIFTING!

pottymouth
01-14-2003, 11:53 AM
There's a drift article in this months PopSci. Thought you might like to know.

pro2boy
01-14-2003, 12:55 PM
hey ive been into drifting for a while now but never noticed this thread till this morning, spoolin i remember on the hpi forums when you were show the different rims for ur r32 can you post those up if you can because i am looking for rim ideas for my r32 body

TrZA
01-14-2003, 03:32 PM
ya i saw that article too.

i'm making my tl-01 a stricly drifter. does anyone know what hop ups i should get from my compleatly stock tl-01 to make it a ideal drifter? and when i say stock, i mean stock. i'm running a 540 motor and a MSC.

thanks

TrZA

spoolin
01-14-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by pro2boy
hey ive been into drifting for a while now but never noticed this thread till this morning, spoolin i remember on the hpi forums when you were show the different rims for ur r32 can you post those up if you can because i am looking for rim ideas for my r32 body

i will try and get them up by tomorrow

[QUOTE][i]ya i saw that article too.

i'm making my tl-01 a stricly drifter. does anyone know what hop ups i should get from my compleatly stock tl-01 to make it a ideal drifter? and when i say stock, i mean stock. i'm running a 540 motor and a MSC.

thanks

TrZA[/B][QUOTE]

The first thing i would do is get bearings all round then get a good esc then batts then a better motor....then have a look around for some camber links :)

TrZA
01-14-2003, 10:24 PM
sweet, thanks spoolin. do ya have any suggestions on what motor, batts, and esc.

thanks

TrZA

spoolin
01-14-2003, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by TrZA
sweet, thanks spoolin. do ya have any suggestions on what motor, batts, and esc.

thanks

TrZA
Are you going to be drifting with tape or without? if you drifting with i would go a lower turn maby a 15t, If your drifting without tape use somthing more like a stock motor with lots of tourq like a 21t or 27t, As for batts i use sanyo 2400 and they do the job great! i think batts are one of the most important thing in rc! :)

TrZA
01-15-2003, 08:14 AM
ya i will be running with tape. thanks for the advice, it halped me a lot.

TrZA

momosport
01-15-2003, 10:37 AM
rx78gp03s

if u call that drifting, i am affraid for your drifting kind. i maybe saw ONE, and i really mean one good drift but htats about it. all i really saw was just like runnin the car randomly in circles. i mean like i could do power slides that look waaay more impressive then that video any time.

As i stated:

Its over 10 min of footage, but the stuff that got made isn't a good representation of my drifting.

As i explained, i had 10 min of footage, and the video that was made wasn't the best example of my drifting. When you saw was my car turning in a circle, it was actually drifting in a complete circle. I would have used a different section of footage, but i didn't make it or process it. When the weather gets nicer, I'll make more videos. Unfortunately I don't have nice corners like [COLOR=red]SPOOLIN to show good examples of my drift. I also haven't experimented much with tape, but i plan to once the Drifter is up and rolling.

[COLOR=red]SPOOLIN
How much camber are you running up front?

MOmo

spoolin
01-15-2003, 05:17 PM
No worries TrZA good to see more people starting to drift!:)

Momo i think im runing about neg 4 deg in the front and about 1 in the rear. :)

SegaBowMan
01-15-2003, 10:36 PM
Hey to anyone who drifts a TL01, what kind of camber links do you have? I have the ones that come stock with the LA version chassis. They are not easy to adjust. have you replaced the bars(the threaded part) with ones that you use a tool to turn?

S13 Drifter
01-15-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by rx78gp03s
ever wonder why the rx7 is sooo popular? it only has one piston!!!

How would that make it a better drifter? Firstly, the 13B in the RX7s have 2 rotors, and secondly a rotor is not a piston. Basically it acheives the same thing but does it in a completely different manner to a piston engine.

momosport
01-16-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by SegaBowMan
Hey to anyone who drifts a TL01, what kind of camber links do you have? I have the ones that come stock with the LA version chassis. They are not easy to adjust. have you replaced the bars(the threaded part) with ones that you use a tool to turn?

Best bet is to find some Lunsford turnbuckles (spendy but well worth the peace of mind. Otehr companys like Associated and others make adjustable turnbuckles. Just be sure to get them the right size.

MOmo

spoolin
01-16-2003, 03:39 AM
here is a few sneek pics of my new drifter :)

http://slidecentral.rs-scooby.com/pics/rx7.jpg
http://slidecentral.rs-scooby.com/pics/rx72.jpg

locklom
01-16-2003, 09:22 AM
is it possible to drift with a nitro car?

AudiTT-Quattro
01-16-2003, 01:47 PM
Anything is possible. Just remember: You break it, you buy it.

NMT_RACER_BOY
01-16-2003, 03:43 PM
Do you guys think the 414MII will be a good drifter? i want one sooooooo bad.... spooling, what kind of tape do you use to drift?

spoolin
01-16-2003, 04:08 PM
im not to sure about the 414 II it looks too nice to drift LOL but im pretty sure it would work! it looks very similar as the pro 2.

im using electrical tape :)

TrZA
01-16-2003, 09:04 PM
het spoolin, along with the bearings, new batts, motor, and esc that you suggested, i was going to get a new body. right now i have an impreza with no front, and a civic that i'm making concourse. i was going to get a proline BMW 3 series, or a HPI nissan silva. do you have any suggestions on what i should get?

thanks for the imput.

TrZA

spoolin
01-16-2003, 10:04 PM
hmmm out o the 10 bodies i have i still love the silvia the best! i would say silvia or a skyline but in the end its up you you! :)

S13 Drifter
01-16-2003, 11:39 PM
Get one of HPI's new S15 GT bodies;)

momosport
01-17-2003, 03:09 AM
I agree the Silvia is a great choice for a drifter, thou, Im excited to get my Trueno drifting. as soon as I finish the drifter, I'll post pics.

Momo

spoolin
01-17-2003, 04:09 AM
Here is the project slide central car(still in the making)
This car is going to be made purely for drift.

tell us what you think

http://slidecentral.rs-scooby.com/pics/rx703.jpg
http://slidecentral.rs-scooby.com/pics/rx705.jpg
http://slidecentral.rs-scooby.com/pics/rx706.jpg

spoolin
01-17-2003, 04:10 AM
http://slidecentral.rs-scooby.com/pics/rx707.jpg

TrZA
01-17-2003, 08:07 AM
hmmm out o the 10 bodies i have i still love the silvia the best! i would say silvia or a skyline but in the end its up you you!

quote, spoolin

i agree, that is what i was origonally planning on getting. thanks for the help.

TrZA

spoolin
01-17-2003, 08:47 PM
no worries:)

where did everyone go? no one is posting anymore? :(

TrZA
01-17-2003, 09:41 PM
ya i noticed that also spoolin

hey spoolin, is there any other hobbies that you do besides rc's?
i snowboard, i'm sponsored for it and have gone pritty far in it. besides snowboarding (witch comes before averthing else in my life, besides family) rc's are just as much fun to me as snowboarding because you have so much more bigger variaty then other hobbies.

TrZA

spoolin
01-17-2003, 09:58 PM
sweeeeet! wish there was snow close to where i live!

Im sponsed for bike riding and am ranked 3rd in Australia so thats pretty cool! i get free bikes, clothes, shoes, and other things

but i seem to be stoping riding.....dono why i might get back into it soon! :)

TrZA
01-17-2003, 10:23 PM
thats sweet man, good for you. i went to nationals last year and got 40th. witch wasn't bad concidering that there was like 120 people.

ive desided to get the new HPI Silvia GT body. and i was thinking eather just black, or white with the gray veilside stripe going down the top of the sides

what do you think? got any ideas?

TrZA

Ovalracer04
01-17-2003, 10:37 PM
What are some good rc drift sites that have videos on them?

spoolin
01-18-2003, 12:32 AM
thats sweet man, good for you. i went to nationals last year and got 40th. witch wasn't bad concidering that there was like 120 people.

ive desided to get the new HPI Silvia GT body. and i was thinking eather just black, or white with the gray veilside stripe going down the top of the sides

what do you think? got any ideas?

TrZA Thats sweet dude!

hmm yeh black would look mad! hmm maby red? or orange?

Ovalracer04:
There are no real rc drift sites at the moment! i know shockwave is working on a site...and so is rob
Log on to the hpi forum and have a look at the drifters forum there under "not hpi electric touring" the forum is full of usfull info!
:)

S13 Drifter
01-18-2003, 12:42 AM
Nice wheels on that rx7 spoolin. Who makes those?

spoolin
01-18-2003, 02:49 AM
i cant remember but im going to be selling some realy nice rims that no one can get but me! and there realy cheap too! i will keep you guys updated :)

bigmike216
01-18-2003, 02:53 AM
Who's the body made by spoolin? Looks awesome!

spoolin
01-18-2003, 03:27 AM
its a fewer rx7

http://slidecentral.rs-scooby.com/pics/sc.jpg

maX energ
01-18-2003, 10:38 AM
hey, i havent seen so much drifting action since the hpi forums!, (Tamiya_kid.) i remeber some of the people from the drifters forum! we had like...7 haha...i kinda lost the idea of drifting but im starting it all over im going to drift TL-01 possible..i have sooo many more cars now i dont know whict one to use lol
tamiya..mainly.
i have...
TA-04R HKS racing altezza
TA-02 HKS super oil skyline R32...(my baby!!)
hpi nrs4 2
my old drifter mini cooper M-03, but now shes a rally car haha
fox
stadium blizter
King hauler with lights/sound/flatbed tailer
hpi nmt
and as of now an engine-less tmaxx...
im so happy i found a thread for drifting...cause i thought it died!

momosport
01-18-2003, 10:51 AM
No RC Drift specific sites yet, but its in progress. Several members of our Drift crew are putting sites together. Once they are complete im sure we'll post links. Till then check here for info as well as otehr sites like the HPI Euro board.

maX energ
I remember you. Welcome. alot of the Drifters moved over to the HPI Euro board. same location on the US side, just in Euro. Im looking to get a TAO3R soon. I have a TAO3F that Im trying to fix up and turn into a drifter. i might be trading for a TAO3R.

Momo

RC_MUSTANGRACER
01-19-2003, 02:38 AM
i cant remember but im going to be selling some realy nice rims that no one can get but me! and there realy cheap too! i will keep you guys updated :)

who makes them rims you are going to sell and what do they look like?

spoolin
01-19-2003, 04:28 AM
these ones here:
http://www.imagemagician.com/images/gtr/driftxrx7x3.jpg

spoolin
01-19-2003, 07:47 PM
here is a quick vid....sorry about the light..i will go back one morning :)

http://slidecentral.rs-scooby.com/videos/d2.WMV

S13 Drifter
01-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Well since its the "in" thing here to post in colors, I claim purple!"

Another nice vid spoolin!

S13

RC_MUSTANGRACER
01-20-2003, 04:16 AM
I guese so S13 :)

TrZA
01-20-2003, 11:16 AM
well then i claim green
hey spoolin, when are you going to have that intercooler titorial up?

DaLoSiGuYWiTdAxXxNt
01-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Heh, I've been reading this thread since it started but never posted. I claim blue. Spoolin, nice videos man!!! :)

rx78gp03s
01-20-2003, 03:14 PM
well if everyone is claiming colors and i've been sort of won over by u drifters, i'll claim black. now if i see ne one else in black this thread will have to come down. kidding
wut do u guys think of a driftin rsx?

DaLoSiGuYWiTdAxXxNt
01-20-2003, 03:48 PM
haha nice claiming black, a drifting rsx would look nice

rx78gp03s
01-20-2003, 03:54 PM
well here's my black rsx!
gon to be my concourse driftin car now! bwahhaha

http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=863627

DaLoSiGuYWiTdAxXxNt
01-20-2003, 04:27 PM
kewl, nice paint job :)

spoolin
01-20-2003, 05:53 PM
well then i claim green
hey spoolin, when are you going to have that intercooler titorial up? will work on it today just for you ;) :D

TrZA
01-20-2003, 07:21 PM
why thank you very much spoolin. give me a shout when its done and post the like if its posible. are there goning to be pics like you exaust titorial?

KevanB
01-20-2003, 07:32 PM
SPOOLIN! What car do you use when you drift? I liked the Honda Civic car, but what chassis is it?
I might start drifting in my HPI RS4 rally, will it be a successful drifter?

Mason Copeland
01-20-2003, 07:40 PM
RCCA used an HPI RS4 Sport 2 for drifting.

maX energ
01-20-2003, 10:05 PM
is the TL-01 a ok drifter? with the adjustable upper links and all the other goodies, btw, whats better a higher? or lower? gear ratio? im going to deck out a TL-01 because i dont want to destroy my TA-04R, what is profly the best drifting car that wont destroy my already dead wallet?
thanks again!
~stop trying, start drifting

SegaBowMan
01-20-2003, 10:36 PM
from what alot of people have mentioned, the TL01 is a great drifter. one of the best. upper links and all that stuff is necessary to adjust the camber. I don't know much about gear ratios but the you don't have to worry about that with a TL01

PtCruiser2003
01-20-2003, 11:19 PM
Well i dont know about all of your touring cars but my T3 can drift pretty good. i run a 15x2 motor, TRC foams, and a sanyo 2400 7 cell pack. i am just learning to control the drift because some times i turn to far and it drifts through the turn the smashes in to the wall. I can see if i can get pics. I just wont beable to try this week because they rearanged the race sheduale because of the super bowl. In two weeks i can see if I can get pictures.

S13 Drifter
01-21-2003, 12:40 AM
well then i claim green

Momosport is green...check from the early pages :D

RC_MUSTANGRACER
01-21-2003, 02:06 AM
i got light blue then :p

spoolin
01-21-2003, 02:12 AM
TUTORIAL IS UP!!!!!! with lots of pic too (its in the body section :)

Dinternetman
01-21-2003, 02:53 AM
drifter noob here - I got very interested in drifting after i saw that video by spoolin.

So what exactly is drifting? Is it kinda like in video game terms-Power sliding? or something like that.

Also could drifting be achieved by nitro cars and what do you adjust to make it drift?

spoolin
01-21-2003, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by KevanB
SPOOLIN! What car do you use when you drift? I liked the Honda Civic car, but what chassis is it?
I might start drifting in my HPI RS4 rally, will it be a successful drifter? im drifting a hpi pro 3 :)

spoolin
01-21-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Dinternetman
drifter noob here - I got very interested in drifting after i saw that video by spoolin.

So what exactly is drifting? Is it kinda like in video game terms-Power sliding? or something like that.

Also could drifting be achieved by nitro cars and what do you adjust to make it drift?

Ok welcome to drift #1! drifting is a bit like a power slide but very different too! i think your best bet to find out as much as you can is read this thread! there is soo much info! and yes you can drift a nitro but its alot harder because of the higher CG (centre of gravity)

S13 Drifter
01-21-2003, 03:38 AM
In drifting the aim is to get a car sideways before you enter a corner, powersliding is oversteering (sideways) mid-corner. It can be done with virtually any RC but it does take practice... ;)

TrZA
01-21-2003, 08:54 AM
then i claim lime green. that titorial is sick! i'm going to make one tonight! now i have an exaust and a intercooler from your titorials, are there any other ones/ whats the next your working on?

KevanB
01-21-2003, 05:02 PM
hmmm one more question.....do you use tape WITH the drifting setup? Becuase id like to have a "base" touring car setup and a drift car setup in the same car for awhile (as i dont have 2 touring cars yet).
SO can i keep a racing setup, just put tape on them, and drift?

spoolin
01-21-2003, 05:52 PM
you could do that but the car wont drift as well! i did that for a while but i stoped becuase i got sick of racing....so yeh it could work it would drift better with a good drift setup
:)

TrZA
01-21-2003, 07:29 PM
hey spoolin, you should put a roll cage in that black skyline of yours. maybe in red, or blue.

Ovalracer04
01-21-2003, 07:43 PM
What do most people make their roll cages out of? I was thinking about the left overs from a plastic parts tree but I don't know.

TrZA
01-21-2003, 07:49 PM
i was also thinking that. hey, maybe that could be spoolin's next titorial? what do ya think spoolin?

spoolin
01-21-2003, 08:13 PM
SHHHHHHHH im working on it! dont give it away! ;)

TrZA
01-21-2003, 08:27 PM
WHOOPS! sorry spoolin. i will try and keep it on the downlow :D

hellbilly
01-21-2003, 08:30 PM
maybe colored drinking straws? they are about the right size and come in tons of colors....

NMT_RACER_BOY
01-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Whoa, I got my 3PK and os 12TR(P)-T!! they are so sweet!! 3PK has so many thingies it's unbleivable... When you are drifting, do you want fast steering? faster but gladualy slower? etc? do you want alot of steering or just little?

rx78gp03s
01-21-2003, 09:10 PM
spoolin = mr arts n craft :D
hehe, just a thought

Dinternetman
01-21-2003, 09:27 PM
hmmm one more question.....do you use tape WITH the drifting setup? Becuase id like to have a "base" touring car setup and a drift car setup in the same car for awhile (as i dont have 2 touring cars yet).

Don't understand where the tape goes,
on the wheels to make them slide?

AudiTT-Quattro
01-21-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Dinternetman
Don't understand where the tape goes,
on the wheels to make them slide?

Bottom of page 2.

spoolin
01-22-2003, 01:12 AM
http://slidecentral.rs-scooby.com/Tutorials/012.jpg

bigmike216
01-22-2003, 01:57 AM
That's a nice looking roll cage! Are you designing something like that?

spoolin
01-22-2003, 02:40 AM
Yeh im just designing that now :)

dainjarouz
01-22-2003, 03:11 AM
hey spoolin...are you spooling as well? theres another guy with your same name but with a "G" at the end...just wonderin heh...nice pic btw

spoolin
01-22-2003, 04:56 AM
it isnt me? pffft what a copy lol

TrZA
01-22-2003, 08:06 AM
that is a sweet roll cage. what body are you putting the roll cage in?

KevanB
01-22-2003, 08:49 AM
mmmm nice roll cage...that would look nice on a rally car! Anywho, i might just keep my rally for a racing car, then IF i get a new touring car (tc3) i will convert the rally to be my "designated drift car" and all will be well.

ONE more question, what kind of tires are you using spoolin?! Are they hpi's x's?! Im just baffled. :confused:

ConniePede
01-22-2003, 05:09 PM
i know this is completely off topic, but can u guys go to this site
SpankRacing2003 (http://www.geocities.com/spankrc)

SpAnK RaCiNg00

spoolin
01-22-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by KevanB
mmmm nice roll cage...that would look nice on a rally car! Anywho, i might just keep my rally for a racing car, then IF i get a new touring car (tc3) i will convert the rally to be my "designated drift car" and all will be well.

ONE more question, what kind of tires are you using spoolin?! Are they hpi's x's?! Im just baffled. :confused:
Those tyres on there i only use for pics.....for drifting i use hpi 33r's or 35r's ....but you have to remeber its alot hotter where i live.

The roll Cage is satying in the GT-R for now....i might make one for my rx7..... will have to see :)

SaturnRS4
01-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Wow hey spoolin. You may not remember me as Saturn from Access R/C, or TVRTuscan from the HPI Forums. So sad how both of them went under. Anyways how ya doing man? If you want to buy a sweet would-be drift RS4, check out he Buy/Sell/Trade forum. Peace dude :D

maX energ
01-22-2003, 07:30 PM
hey i wanna see some pics but of the chassis's i need some addvice on a realitivly cheap but good drifter..im stuck bewteen the TL-01 and the sport 2

spoolin
01-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by SaturnRS4
Wow hey spoolin. You may not remember me as Saturn from Access R/C, or TVRTuscan from the HPI Forums. So sad how both of them went under. Anyways how ya doing man? If you want to buy a sweet would-be drift RS4, check out he Buy/Sell/Trade forum. Peace dude :D
Hey mate!! i remember ya! yeh it blows that hpi usa and access is gone.........i have been pretty good! how about yourself?

If i had money i would thing about your rs4....but i still have to get a new diff for my car!:(

good to hear from ya mate! :)

S13 Drifter
01-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Yeh the diffs in Pro3s are pretty weak, especially when drifting. Ive been through about 3 pulleys...

SaturnRS4
01-22-2003, 07:56 PM
Haha, mine has 2 brand new RRP Ball Diffs. I'm not asking like $600 or anyting, something in the $150-200 range would be great, even though I've invested a lot more. It also has 2 other spare diffs, personally sounds like a good deal to me considering that RS4 Pro 3's go for around the same range.

Anyways, yes I'm doing pretty good. I really don't like sedans anymore, they need too much work to even be fun. Right now I'm modding my Tamiya Mini Cooper for dirt rally racing, and also planning on buying an F1 car.

maX energ
01-22-2003, 08:43 PM
hey i have a site perfect making a M-003 Rally...
http://www.tam.ne.jp/nic/minirally/rally_e.html
its in english too!

SaturnRS4
01-22-2003, 09:09 PM
Wow thanks max, I was wondering how to make good tires. Props dude :)

^j!nx^
01-23-2003, 12:14 PM
:cool:

maX energ
01-23-2003, 10:26 PM
haha its all good, i did it to my mini, its awsome! but i just mite put it back to drifting duty..but i need a ESC and some dampers and new wheels/tires...good luck due to there size, ill guess ill use hpiswith there mini x-patterns but ill tape them

momosport
01-23-2003, 11:03 PM
WOW! I ldon't log on for a few days and the whole room blows up. Yikes! Nice to see that new interest is growing.

Saturn
Hey man, its been awhile. i see you on MSN, I'll try and hit you up soon.

KevanB
mmmm nice roll cage...that would look nice on a rally car

Unfortunately the roll cage realy can't protect a car in that case unless its made from metal. In most cases, those who have roll cages make them out of plastic and they mount to an Inner body just for concourse. You COULD make it functional, but it would add serious weight.

Spoolin
Rollcage looks good man. Can't wait to see a finished product.

MOmo

S13 Drifter
01-23-2003, 11:21 PM
Welcome back momo!

On a side note, check out these drifty style Volk Racing rims I just had fitted to my 1:1 Silvia. I love the deep dish style!

Guess it would help to attach the pic :D

http://upload.silviansw.com/Volks.jpg

DaLoSiGuYWiTdAxXxNt
01-23-2003, 11:41 PM
nice rims S13 :)

bigmike216
01-24-2003, 01:23 AM
nice rims!

S13 Drifter
01-24-2003, 04:33 AM
Thanks guys! Anyway heres the pic on my Silvia, fronts are 17x7, backs are 17x8, 215/45 tyres allround.

http://upload.silviansw.com/HarrysS13.jpg

S13

spoolin
01-24-2003, 04:40 AM
Thanks guys! Anyway heres the pic on my Silvia, fronts are 17x7, backs are 17x8, 215/45 tyres allround.

http://upload.silviansw.com/HarrysS13.jpg

S13 yo s13 i didnt knwo you were from Australia? NSW where about are you? :confused:

spoolin
01-24-2003, 04:44 AM
Ohh and everyone i made a drifters forum on the www.hpiforums.com site under Electric TC section!

so post there a bit too! :)

S13 Drifter
01-24-2003, 04:49 AM
Spoolin: Do you know Wollongong, NSW? I am 20minutes from there. Its 1.5hours down the coast of Sydney

spoolin
01-24-2003, 05:11 AM
yep i knwo! ok kool! im on the northen beachs :)

Wilso
01-24-2003, 06:51 AM
Spooolin where on da northern beaches are u from
Do u know Robert from Wings and things

Bye

momosport
01-24-2003, 10:49 AM
Man, I wish I could be from Austrailia! Sheesh. Like being an american is a good thing now with War w/ Iraq looming in the future. Do we NOT live in the dumbest country? Sorry, I'll spare you my political views.

Spoolin and I have found a way to solve all the worlds problems, however due to the nature of the solution, it can't be discussed here!

S13

Sweet ride man! i wouldn't mind having one. A good friend of mine is working on his 180 and hoping to create a SIL 80 with a conversion. I'll post his pics once its complete.

MOmo

SaturnRS4
01-24-2003, 11:06 AM
I'm starting a new Access RC site on geocities. S13, if you don't mind I used that pic of your car as our logo. I am adding momo, spoolin, and S13 as members.

The site will be http://******************/, but for right now it is http://www.geocities.com/saturnrs4/index.html

SaturnRS4
01-24-2003, 11:07 AM
err ***? the one that got starred out was ******************

SaturnRS4
01-24-2003, 11:08 AM
WHAT THE HELL! It was ACCESSRC DOT CJB DOT NET

SaturnRS4
01-24-2003, 11:40 AM
ok the cjb site is up. The URL is http://access-rc.cjb.net/

And if this is starred it's access-rc . cjb . net (without the spaces)

hellbilly
01-24-2003, 12:36 PM
nice hoops spoolin'!

i used to have Volk TE37's on my civic before i scored sparco's for free in a burnout contest.

old car: '94 civic DX- B18C, LSD, electromotive tec2, turbonetics T04, spearco I/C, blah blah blah

SaturnRS4
01-24-2003, 12:45 PM
I myself have $500 so far towards a Datsun 240/260/280Z (not ZX). It'll be sweet. I don't know if it would make a ok drifter, but w/e.

spoolin
01-24-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Wilso
Spooolin where on da northern beaches are u from
Do u know Robert from Wings and things

Bye

Ya i knwo him pretty well! he knows i have a skyline r32 so say that to him and he will knwo how i am (i dont want to give out my full name)
How do you knwo him?? :)

spoolin
01-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Man, I wish I could be from Austrailia! Sheesh. Like being an american is a good thing now with War w/ Iraq looming in the future. Do we NOT live in the dumbest country? Sorry, I'll spare you my political views.

Spoolin and I have found a way to solve all the worlds problems, however due to the nature of the solution, it can't be discussed here!

S13

Sweet ride man! i wouldn't mind having one. A good friend of mine is working on his 180 and hoping to create a SIL 80 with a conversion. I'll post his pics once its complete.

MOmo

Move to Aus then! would be cool! could have drift meetings and stuff :p

momosport
01-24-2003, 07:43 PM
Actually. This new job, in the future MIGHT take me to China! So who knows. I def. want to pop down and chill if i can.

I wonder how expensive a Skyline is in China? Hmmm how cool would that be!

Spoolin If i come visit, can I drive your Skyline, and im not talking RC? :D :D

I feel like i should write a HOW TO article to keep up w/ Spoolin.

MOmo

spoolin
01-24-2003, 07:47 PM
hehe :p

S13 Drifter
01-24-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by hellbilly
nice hoops spoolin'!

Dont you mean "nice hoops S13!"..... :D

Saturn: No I dont mind you using my pic, its not a fully worked drift machine tho....not yet :p

S13