PDA

View Full Version : Yet another choosing a radio thread!

brittonlj77
12-30-2002, 04:20 PM
I'm racing a RC10T3 with a used Jr XR2 AM and want to upgrade. It definately needs to be FM or better.

It should have all of the "standard" tricks of a high end radio like DR Steering and all that.

I'm currently using a digital high torque (hitec) servo for steering and would like the radio to take advantage of that as well.

No Glitching and Response time with the typical driving ameneties are my main priorities.

Lastly, if it is FM (or PCM or HRS?) using some kind of crystal-less solution would be handy, but less of a priority than the rest.

I know this is a dream list and I probably won't be able to afford it right away, but I'm not "settling" this time around. I want the best I can afford.

Thanks in advance.

k_sw31
12-30-2002, 09:53 PM
Well,

I got a MX-3 for christmas and I love it.

Its very comfortable, FM, and around 100$ :D

You have a 3rd channel (if you need it) and a nice small receiver, range has been very good and i haven't had any glitching :D

Plus you have DR endpoints and a bunch of other stuff :)

Its a very good radio and one thing that is neat about it it you can turn the DR past 100% (up to 120%) so more power is sent to the servo, that way it turns a lot faster :D

1 vote for the MX-3

jraman8
12-30-2002, 10:07 PM
i have been out of the rc life for about ten years, and just got back into it about 8 months ago, so much has changed , cars, radios,just about everything. i like the sound of the mx-3. i like the part about sending the power to the steering servo, that is to convenient. i race offroad on my track i built, and the would be a big convenience on rough tracks

brittonlj77
12-31-2002, 12:58 PM
I went to the LHS and talked to a few guys. The one they recommended was the JR XR-3i. It has the high frame rate mode for digital servos and it's FM. It's about $169 but it comes with 2 servos I could sell to offset the cost.

The MX-3 seems to be the main competition for the XR-3i. I'll look into it. They are both featured in this month's RCCA.

Thanks for the input guys.

qurve
12-31-2002, 01:22 PM
Hey.

I'm not sure on your budget, so this could be out of the question.

I recommend the Futaba 3PK radio. I just received one last week, and this thing is NOTHING short but amazing. It has a very huge backlit LCD display in the back of the transmitter. I loved how organized and easy to use the digital screen was. The menus are organized neatly, easy to access, and it tells you everything. There are even three models to choose from - PPM, PCM, and HRS. I picked the PCM version, it comes with a built in failsafe. THe HRS version is the fastest, but it requires digital servos. The radio to me is very comfortable to hold, and the overall design is one I like, even though some say it's ugly.

There is a thread on it in the "NEW R/C STUFF" forum or whatever by Steve Pond, it includes pictures. Feel free to look at it. TowerHobbies has it for $320.00, but you can get it from rcmodel in Hong KOng for $250 + $37 EMS shipping (I live in the US and got it in 2 days!)... and it'll still be cheaper then Tower - faster shipping to!

E-Mail: robg@snet.net if you have any questions.

hpi_rs4_racer2
12-31-2002, 03:12 PM
HEY BRITTON-
if you decide on the JR XRSi(which in my opinion is the best radio out there), and you sell the servos, ill take em for a good price!

thanks kyle :)

hpi_rs4_racer2
12-31-2002, 03:13 PM
thats a XR3i not XRS! LOL someone cant type today!