PDA

View Full Version : RS X Mods

vtl1180ny
11-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Anyone else try these yet? They're about the same size as the Mini Z and about 1/3rd the price... I got my son and I each one to race n the house... They're pretty quick and there are a bit of mods for them... They come 2wd but I got the 4wd upgrade since we are running on wood floors...

NitroBoy24
11-01-2003, 05:36 PM
Ive got some questions on these since I was just at radioshack and was thinking of getting one. But, I didnt know much on run times, charging, etc. so I figured Id ask first. They run on Triple AAA's right? Also, how long of a run time do you get on non-rechargable batteries before they die?? Did you buy rechargable batteries and a charger? If so how long does it take to charge and what brand is it? I wanted to get one but the charger I saw took 4 hours and theres no way Im going to wait around for that long just so I can drive it. Can you drift them with the AWD? If you can drift them Im thinking of getting a Yellow skyline :D. Mmmmm skyline. Thanks a ton
NitroBoy24

t3dude
11-03-2003, 03:41 PM
hey guys i just bought one and so did my freind, these cars are tight because they are so interchangable, we bought the body kit and the batteries and we'll soon get the motors. but i drove mine just a minuet ago and they handle relatively well(a lot better than the mini-z becuase they dont loose the rear end as easily). i used to own the micro and the mini-z and i like this better because everything is soo customizable. and you can get the 4-wd upgrade,(unlike the mini-z) and for 50 bucks, you cant beat the prices. and everything is soo inexpensive. the motors(4 motors) cost like 15 bucks. you couldnt get a mini-z motor for 15. and thats just one. and the crystals. for all the crystals is like 14 or 12 bucks. the body kits are bad a$$. if you buy the upgrade you get a total of 3 body kits. cmon you cant help but like at least one or two. but one thing that i dont like is that oyu have to hit the reverse button twice to back up. that gets annoying. so if i were yall id get one. peace

t3dude
11-03-2003, 04:34 PM
ive jsut driven it and DAMN it is quick, i might not even need to get the motor upgrade becuase ill break the car, its definalty faster than the mini-z. its hard to compare it to the micro because thats like comparing a miata to a monster truck. buyt guys it is tight, and i think i figured out why you have to push the reverse twice. becuse when you have the light upgrade it has brake lights and thats what thats for. you might as well go and get the recharable batteries. i have come to the conclution that you should go and get the energizer rechargables. they are the best. i have the radio shack versions and the energizers are soo much better. as for charging you might have to use your rc car battery charger to charge them. "HOW WOULD I DO THAT?" you might ask. go to radio shack and get a AAA battery holder for either 4 or 2. 4 would be more economical. and there will be 2 prongs on one side of it. solder a plug o your choice to it and VIOLA you have a battery charger. just make sure that you charger wont blow them up. and if it will work. adj your amperage prettty low. any other ?'s just ask

Nsxshogun
11-03-2003, 04:49 PM
So should i go and buy one there the same size as the mini z rite

t3dude
11-03-2003, 08:02 PM
if im not mistaken, they are smaller. but only by a little bit. min-z are 1/24 and i thought i read somewhere that these were 1/28. i might be mistaken. but also if you have read the xmod book that came with the latest superstreet. on page 13 you will see the rsx. belvie me that is not what it looks like. the height is not like that,it is much lower. cause in that pic they must not have had the body on correctly. cause it looks rather retarded. but the two best bodies IMO are the rsx and the supra. the supra is quite a b it longer.

Nsxshogun
11-03-2003, 08:07 PM
I went to the radio shack to get a case for my fone and i seen them they look preety tyght but im not sure if i should go with the rsx or the sky. anyway about how fast do you think they go.

SteveK
11-04-2003, 04:55 PM
I just saw them today: I want one. $50 for the car and radio, and only $16 for the 4WD conversion? Nice.

Somebody see if Mini-Z bodies at least line up with the width and wheelbase (I don't expect them to use the same mounting system). If they do I'm definitely getting one.

BTW: Mini-Zs are 1/28 scale, not 1/24. Somebody on HPI's forum compared a Skyline from the Z with one from a 1/24 model kit, and the model was substantially larger.

vtl1180ny
11-04-2003, 08:28 PM
I got myself the Skyline and mu son the Accord... I also bought 8 RS 700man NiMh's and a 4 cell AAA holder... I just through 4 batteries at a time on my charger, set the amp rate and mah rating and charge them on my Quasar Pro... Easy enough...

I'm wondering if you really need the AWD upgrade, maybe with the hotter motors... They handle excellent on my wooded floors...

Oh, about runtime... I get bored long before the batteries die...

11-08-2003, 01:31 PM
when i still had my overlands i got 4 700mah rayovac nimh batts and thier ps4 1hr charger i use that charger to charge some aa nimh rx batts for my nitro vehicle could also charg 9v batts nimh and nicd and comes with a car adapter for a quick topoff on the go

Jeckler
11-09-2003, 03:04 AM
I picked up a Yellow Skyline today, along with the ball bearing and AWD upgrade. I was debating whether the AWD was worth it, as the car does not spin out. It actually seemed to push a bit on linoleum. It seems impossible to get the rear end loose, at least in AWD. I should have run in in RWD first , to see if I liked that better.
I was VERY surprised to see that these have proportional steering and throttle. Most cars like this are only "full function", which translates to full right or full left. Nice.

Next upgrade will be the stage 2 motor kit.

I wonder if any aftermarket companies are planning anything for these cars.

11-09-2003, 03:22 AM
RS carrys proportional rc cars! cool

me43
11-09-2003, 05:49 AM
has anyone noticed that you can change the battery positions?

i my self have only got the rechargeable batteries and the suspention kit

but i installed a VIC motor(57,000 RPM) with triple plate brushes

so my speed has practically doubled in accelleration and top speed

btw,
does the 4WD mod come with ball diffs. or gear diffs.?

because if it comes with gear diffs. im deffinitely getting it

can anyone say ofna diff. lock:D

vtl1180ny
11-09-2003, 08:41 AM
I got the stage 2 but haven't really had time to screw with it yet... It handles great on my wood floors, wonder how it's going to do on carpet when I redo my basement...

t3dude
12-12-2003, 11:19 AM
imy freind and i bought the stage 2 upgrade and i honestly have had some great success. it is like your car has direct nitrous injection, i put the fastest motor on mine and the battery life has decreased significantly. but i will be getting the bearing and the awd upgrade. and after that i will have everthing(except the ricey decals) but they are pretty cool. my freind and i had a blast on a skateboard ramp at the park. but you have to have the awd to keep good traction with it. so what we did was run it in reverse(which essentially made it a front wheel drive) and it was at night so we had our lights activated. if yall do that and you have the body kit upgrade. be sure to put the stock bumpers on. unless you want the scratch the crap outta them.

dirtstomper
12-13-2003, 04:20 AM
xmods are way cool i have 2. I painted my skyline green and a mini z motor in it. and it flys.

ayk_driver
12-13-2003, 09:37 PM
does n e one here know if u can buy those things in canada? i looked on radioshack.ca and all i could find r the zip zap thingies

Maxxcrazy
12-14-2003, 04:26 PM
My friend has both. He says that the X Mods are no where near comparible to the Mini-z

Grifter
12-15-2003, 07:04 AM
They look pretty cool. They remind me of Need For Speed:Underground, which isnt a surprise because I think I unlocked an "X Mods Vinyl Decal" or something. They are cheap too, how much do Mini-Z's go for now adays?

Another plus is the fact that the are from Radioshack. Not everyone has a Hobby Shop near them, almost everyone has a Radioshack. Parts are pretty cheap, so you wont have to save up for a Motor, etc. I really enjoy my RS Zip Zap, so I think the X-Mods should be just as fun.

Irish Pride
12-15-2003, 07:50 AM
Iv got the RSX and the Skyline. I bought every hop-up they had and just switch the stage 2 motor up-grades around. Each has there own AWD set as well ball bearing sets. They are what got me started in RC. Since Thanksgiving I'v gone and bought a nitro kit and plan on getting another by Christmas. X-MODS are great for rainy days. Especially since my city get more annual rain fall than any other city in the country.

Grifter
12-15-2003, 05:42 PM
What Nitro car did you get Irish Pride?

Yeah, they are great for rainy days, how cool would it be if you had a Track inside for when you cant drive them outside.

EvaderRacer76
12-15-2003, 08:42 PM
you guys got any pics. of the chassis?

BritishRacingGreen
12-16-2003, 11:54 AM
i am thinking about getting one, but i dont really like any of the bodies they have right now. anyone know if they plan on releasing any new bodies? other than that they look awesome, and if they arent gonna make any new bodies i might have to settle with a Supra :(

thanks
BRG

BlingBling17
12-16-2003, 04:14 PM
yo BRG,
after x-mas, i'm gonna get one of these too. and i'm gonna race ur a$$. i like the skyline or the supra style too.

until then, peace, zach

t3dude
01-19-2004, 09:18 PM
i just recently put on the bearings and the awd upgrade (for free from ly local radio shack) they were kinda a pain in the butt to put on but they are done, i really didnt notice a significant difference in the bearings but i now cant spint the rear end around when i do a turn. which is good in anyother place EXCEPT my halway. but im thinking about rebuying the motor upgrade and getting the motor that my freind has in his car and race and see the difference. then i want to get the suspension. i have an idea that i think might be pretty cool. i want to dye the white parts on my car either red or black(along with the rest of the stuff) i was thinking about what a freind told me to do when dying plastic. you get the RIT dye from the store and mix it with vinager(sp?) and let it sit. i belive that he told me that the vinager makes the plastic more porus, but dont flame me if im wrong. what do yall think about it?
cause i kinda think that having 4 or 5 differnt colors is kinda dumb and wierd looking.

BTW dirtstomper what kinda paint did you use for painting your car? and what kinda prepping did you do (if any) becuase i wanted to paint my RSX a candy apple red so i tried it out on an old bumper and the paint beaded off and it had spots on it. i was told that the paint that adheres to plasitc (FUSION) works wonders, so i went to about 6 different stores and all they have is a dark green. if anyone can find a good bold red i would be more than happy to purchase it from them and pay the shipping. just post here if you can help.

well that is my latest update on my XMOD. take it eaasy

NitroBoy24
01-20-2004, 08:05 PM
My cousin go the Skyline Xmod on Christmas day...Last time he drove it was on Christmas day. His body will not come off which means his batteries have gone dead and he cant swap em out :rolleyes: Kinda ticks me off because they arent the richest family world and Sean (5th grader) really liked my GT which is one reason why he got an xmod. Lol, they havent gone to Radioshack yet to have them look at it, I was buggin him on the phone yesterday to have them look at it. And this weekend were having a bday party for me and Im tellin him to bring it over. If all else fails Ill bust out the dremel and break the body to get off and give him however much he'll need for a new shell. Probablly $10 max, no biggy :) Im thinking about gettin a Micro RS4 and droppin that Castle Creations Mamba BL esc/motor combo in it along with some other carbon fiber "accessories" so I can do some indoor driftage and still have an insane amount of speed to drive it outside :D

-NitroBoy24