PDA

View Full Version : R/C Camera

Strike 4
12-23-2003, 10:28 PM
I notice how you people with on board cameras try not to jump or flip over due to the fact that you may scratch the lens right? Any ways I was going to run a race with one on my car but you have to use a body so how would that work?

PS: In a XXX-NT

ggfx-mikey
12-23-2003, 10:31 PM
well if its a nitro car, theres usually a opening for air flow, just point it through that hole, so its inside the body

if electric or anything that doesnt have a opening like that of sedans.. i dont think it would suffer if you just put the lense really close to the lexan, and shot through it

DirtRules
12-23-2003, 11:56 PM
here's a video of a heat race at a track i race at. all they did was put it on top of the roof.

http://www.rcxtremes.com/video/kingheatrace.wmv

rhcsavage21
12-24-2003, 10:54 AM
ow my eyes hert:D

nitrofun
12-26-2003, 02:10 AM
that video was choppy as hell, I woul rather not film at all plus he flipped twice.

Grant Tokumi
12-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Flipping twice in a 6 minute heat is not bad at all IMO.

My eyes were shaking too, but I have to admit, watching a driver's view of an offroad race was something I always wanted to see. Adding sound may have been good. Maybe a stronger mounting setup could have reduced the shaking. Seems to me like the camera should be mounted sturdy enough where the shock towers should stay still in relation to the camera. And following a competitor may make it more exciting too.

I still liked it.

djfinch
12-26-2003, 03:01 PM
Good quality for the stress that those off road buggies go through. How did you mount the camera? Just on top the body? Or was is chassis mounted? I'm thinking of mounting a camera on my street basher via aluminum frame screwed to the chassis.

nitroburner9248
12-26-2003, 09:47 PM
its only a good idea to mount a camera on an on-road car...it dosent have the jumpiness of the off-road truck. People(including myself) get distracted from the video when the picture is bad and they will usually shut it off.

Grant Tokumi
12-26-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by nitroburner9248
its only a good idea to mount a camera on an on-road car...it dosent have the jumpiness of the off-road truck. People(including myself) get distracted from the video when the picture is bad and they will usually shut it off.

I wouldn't give up on offroad yet. I still think if the camera is mounted more study on the chassis so that the shock towers don't shake in the video, it can make for some cool footage. Like djfinch mentions, maybe an aluminum camera mount bolted to the chassis. I went through some parts of the movie frame by frame. It obviously eliminates the jitter and is pretty cool to watch the suspension work.

A picture in picture of an onboard camera angle and another camera angle from the driver's stand could be neat.

djfinch
12-26-2003, 10:58 PM
Now on Radio Control HObbies they mounted two cameras on a stadium truck they did as a project. The cameras were lipstick style, hard fastened to the chassis. One faced out the rear, the other out the front. The front one was dirt covered and useless in a minute or two, but the back one got some great footage. No rattle and shake, and it looked flat out awsome when the trucks behind came over the jumps and reoriented in mid-air by blipping the throttle....that video and next-weeks show on on-road cars (a street force and megatech razor) got me into RC for real

Grant Tokumi
12-26-2003, 11:12 PM
Radio Control Hobbies? Is that another forum? I'd like to see that movie if its something that can be downloaded...

Macdaddy4738
12-26-2003, 11:21 PM
try mounting the camera on a movable base..maybe with a coil over shock or a limited movement spring?

djfinch
12-27-2003, 12:24 AM
Radio control hobbies is a show in the DIY network
check out diynet.com maybe you can download it there...