PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice

sccachris
03-21-2004, 08:05 PM
I have never purchased a RC Car and would like to get one for my eleven year old son. I would like to get something that would work on pavement and also off road. Could any of you steer me in the right direction regarding type and manufacturer, batteries, quick charger, second set of batteries (I've heard they only last ten minutes and if you have a quick charger you can alternate batteries), I'm looking for a complete package with car, controller, batteries, charger, etc. I would like to spend around $200.00 if that is reasonable. I certainly do not want to buy something that I will be unhappy with so if I need to spend a little more (hopefully not a lot more) let me know.

I read some of the postings and most of you are really into this but I'm hoping you might have some information on a good begginer set up.

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm hoping to purchase one before our spring break trip to Baja...

Thanks.

Chris

Pacoson
03-21-2004, 08:42 PM
tuff price range!

For that range your best bet would be used IMHO

E-bay and look for a losi or AE (team assioated) stadium truck

electric NOT nitro.

soup to nuts you might find a good buy.

New your way over that.

those 2 manufactors are popular and reputable (I own a T3 from AE) Parts are cheap and EVERYWHERE.

to end this chapter both brand sadium trucks are raceable @ your local hobby racetrack (you must have one, even if you don't know it)

hope you well!
Jon

BTE214
03-21-2004, 08:52 PM
The Evader by Duratrax is a good choice. It'll do good in a stock class if you want to race, and is a great basher.

italiannitroman
03-22-2004, 01:16 AM
Traxxas, Associated, and Duratrax will be the cheapest ways to go. If they have a kit form you might save a few bucks here and there because you have to build it. Look around on www.towerhobbies.com for more stuff. Hope you and your son like the hobby.

sccachris
03-23-2004, 03:12 PM
To the three guys who responded, thanks! I took your advice and purchased a Duratrax Evader EP ST w/ ESC RTR and upgraded the charger and batteries. I also purchased a set of street rims and tires. Looking forward to our first run...

Thanks again for your responses.

Chris:)

Animeboy123
03-23-2004, 03:21 PM
Great to hear that, I hope you and your son have loads of fun with it. Your also gonna need to purchase some CA (kinda like super glue but ment for RC aplications to glue your new tires to the new rims or the tires will fly off the rims. Also what tires/rims did you get?? the rims will fit the truck and the tires will fit the rims right??

Have Fun :)

sccachris
03-23-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Animeboy123
Great to hear that, I hope you and your son have loads of fun with it. Your also gonna need to purchase some CA (kinda like super glue but ment for RC aplications to glue your new tires to the new rims or the tires will fly off the rims. Also what tires/rims did you get?? the rims will fit the truck and the tires will fit the rims right??

Have Fun :)

A-123,

The rims and tires I purchased were recommended by the hobby store where I purchased the truck. I paid a few dollars more for the tires but they said they were worth it (better than the Trax street tire). They did mention the CA and said it was like super glue? Will super glue work or do I need to purchase CA?

I also went with the truck vs. the car because they said it had more ground clerance. Sounded like that would be better seeing how were going to run it on natural terrain vs. race tracks. Hope I made good decisions...

P.S. I also purchased one 1500 battery and one 3000 battery (no memory) with a digital pirana charger so I hope this will be a good combo. The package include a peak charger I'm not sure exactly what this is for. Sounds like you can hook the clips to your car barrery to charge your RC truck???

P.S.S. I ordered the RED truck and I think my son's going to flip when he sees this spring break surprise!

mwcet8k
03-23-2004, 05:26 PM
Yeah, you definitely spent your money wisely. The digital pirahna charger is by far the best charger for the money on the market in my opinion. I've owned one for several months and I'm amazed how many features it has. Nothing else in that price range even comes close.

Regarding gluing the tires, super glue should work ok. I've glued quite a few tires with it and never had any problems. The key is to do it correctly. I could try to explain it, but you really need a visual description. I'd recommend going by the hobby shop and ask them to show you.

mwcet8k
03-23-2004, 05:37 PM
One more thing: make sure your son lets the batteries cool down completely before he recharges them. Charging a pack back up right after running it is pretty tough on them. If you're willing to spend any more cash on this in the future, I would say spend it on a few more packs.

Also, it's a good idea to let the motor cool down completely after running before you put a new pack in and run it again.

By the way, AWESOME gift!

kitty
03-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by sccachris
The rims and tires I purchased were recommended by the hobby store where I purchased the truck. I paid a few dollars more for the tires but they said they were worth it (better than the Trax street tire).
I bet that those are Pro-Line Street Sweepers - very good choice. I have a set of them for my Evader. They grip quite well and are a more medium compound that last - just right for a learning kiddo. Thanks for ushering in another RC fan (your son)!

They did mention the CA and said it was like super glue? Will super glue work or do I need to purchase CA?
Personally, I prefer CA glue over generic super glue. CA glue will hold better. To me, super glue is unreliable. CA isn't that expensive and when compared to the tiny amount they put in super glue tubes for 99 cents at the store, it's overall a better deal. I no longer even buy super glue; I use CA anywhere I normally would use super glue.

I also went with the truck vs. the car because they said it had more ground clerance. Sounded like that would be better seeing how were going to run it on natural terrain vs. race tracks. Hope I made good decisions...
I think you made great decisions. That was great of you to put so much thought into a gift for your son. The Evader was my first truck; I still have it and wouldn't part with it. I think your son is going to have a lot of fun with it and that red shell looks great. I can imagine the look on his face when he sees it =)

You're a fantastic dad!