PDA

View Full Version : Kyosho Kart 10 - two speed - experts help!

BMP Racing
03-29-2004, 12:19 AM
I am wanting to add a two speed tranny to my kart. Can this be done? I have access to CNC machines and the skills to fabricate. I however do not know anything about two speeds and what could be made to fit. Thanks for any help!

Brad

mp75unlimited
03-29-2004, 02:10 AM
Hmmm.....Randy, where are you? :D

raderrustler
03-29-2004, 09:25 AM
The clearance issue of the Kart10 is the issue, you need to have enough room for the tranny and the clutch side. I need to see a scematic of the layout and the ability to expand the tranny/diff set-up. The engine is a typical 2 speed clutch set-up space allowing but the spur gear set-up is where you will need to make a new shaft. What tranny and engine combo does your K10 have already..or post a link to a schematic and I will see if I can CAD out the necessary parts.
Randy

BMP Racing
03-29-2004, 02:02 PM
I have pics. Would one of the generic 2-speed kits work with a custom spur shaft? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXV562&P=7 The second gear set would be outside the existing gear set, right? I have room inside the pod for another gear. Here is the engine I will be running http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXERB6&P=7 I assume my existing flywheel clutch set up would work? Thanks for your help!

Brad

BMP Racing
03-29-2004, 02:14 PM
Pic 2

BMP Racing
03-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Pic 3

pleaseletmeon34
03-29-2004, 06:50 PM
Randy's right. Clearance is an issue. The screw in the end of the clutch nut is almost on the side pod. (I once scrapped a parking block, tore a small hole in the side pod at the screw and bent the clutch nut.) Your going to have trouble with that recoil (lot of cutting of the chassis). The KYO recoil is much smaller. Did yours come with the GS11 or OS.10? It would be easier to get a CV-X remove the recoil then add the KYO recoil. Get this thing up and running, you'll find traction is a bigger issue. Reading about this makes me want to bring mine back out. Still trying to find my pic's

RichieRich
03-30-2004, 06:38 PM
I wonder if an old RS4-2 two speed would work. It seems other than the clearance issues, you would have to mill some type of shaft. Then you could fit your sproket on one end and the RS4-2 two-speed on the other.

BMP Racing
03-30-2004, 08:08 PM
Mine came with the O.S. .10 FP. It also has a red pull start. I think it says GS on the pull cover though.

The existing shaft has a flat on one end for the countershaft sprocket and a hole on the other for the spur gear. How does the spur gear/clutch mount on the shaft of a two speed car? I wouldn't have any problem spinning out a shaft. I just need to find a tranny that would fit. I can move the side pod out slightly if need be. Thanks again guys for the help!

Brad

raderrustler
04-01-2004, 12:01 PM
After looking at the clearance issue, I do not believe the 2 speed spurs will fit under the cowl either, it looks like a 38-40 tooth spur already and the width going inside can be acomodated but the out side and overall height I am not sure about. Are you looking for higher top speed or just a cool two speed look? Machining a larger front sprocket will give you more speed for sure.
Randy

BMP Racing
04-01-2004, 01:07 PM
I was mainly looking for a higher top speed and also the novelty of running a two speed tranny. I think I have about .250" clearence on the top and bottom. What is the countershaft/clutch bell tooth count on a two speed normally? I am setting at 14/38 before the chain right now. I have the steel countershaft sproket on CAD and might mill one out today. It might be wise to try this first. If it is a big tire burner, wouldn't having it geared tall help a little? I wouldn't be able to take advantage of having a first gear unless there was good traction.

I really need to get this thing running in its current state. I have a TRX .15/tuned pipe combo I can try right now. Should be pretty quick like that.

Thanks again Randy!

Brad

raderrustler
04-01-2004, 02:29 PM
for top speed just change out the 14 tooth clutch bell on the trx.15 to a 20 tooth and that thing will scoot right along. the traxxas clutch bells come in 18,20,22 tooth config and aftermarket companies sell some higher and lower. slap that engine in it and drive it. good luck
Randy