PDA

View Full Version : What are my options for 4wd Electric offroad?

orbitron
03-29-2004, 03:10 PM
Hey all I was wondering if I could get some input from y'all.

I have had a Duratrax Evader for about a year and a half and I want to move into 4WD. I have some questions.

1. What vehicles are there besides RS4 Rally, RS4Mt, XXX-4, E-Maxx?
2. I'm leaning heavily towards the RS4 Rally or the XXX-4 but is the price difference worth it?
3. Can I expect similar offroad prowess as the Evader with the RS4 rally or the buggy?

Thaks for your help. :)

Lapster
03-29-2004, 03:33 PM
There is the xxx-4, yokomo super dog fighter 2(mr4bc), and the new academy sport or whatever it is called. Those are all competiton 4wd buggies.

Techno Duck
03-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Hey all I was wondering if I could get some input from y'all.

I have had a Duratrax Evader for about a year and a half and I want to move into 4WD. I have some questions.

1. What vehicles are there besides RS4 Rally, RS4Mt, XXX-4, E-Maxx?
2. I'm leaning heavily towards the RS4 Rally or the XXX-4 but is the price difference worth it?
3. Can I expect similar offroad prowess as the Evader with the RS4 rally or the buggy?

Thaks for your help. :)

Do you plan on racing, bashing or both? The buggys are better suited to racing and i think are a little overkill for bashing. The rally will not jump as well, the extent of running it will be pavement, packed dirt and very low cut grass. The XXX-4 and RS4MT being able to do slightly more on different terrains including jumping. The E-Maxx is great for bashing as it has more of a 'go-anywhere' capability. It can be an expensive option though as you need basically double the battery packs..and i would say a minimum of 2 sets of packs if you want to have any fun running the truck (8-10 minute of runtime sucks!).

orbitron
03-29-2004, 03:45 PM
This car will be primarily bashing. I like the versatility of stadium trucks but also like scale realism...

Yeah I think E-maxx is out, too bulky. I am pretty sure I'm going with the rs4 rally but I don't know if I'll still be able to bash with my friend and his rustler?? If I can't with the rally then I want the XXX-4 since it should be able to do whatever he can do. I'll look into the yokomo super dog fighter 2(mr4bc), and the new academy sport cause the losi is a lot of $.

glassdoctor
03-29-2004, 04:52 PM
The Rally is not really a match for bashing with a Rustler, IMO. The rally is not much better than a sedan with knobby tires. It will get hung up on tall grass, sticks, etc with the small tires, full body, and low clearance...

The Rs4MT with off road tires is a better basher. But be careful trying to put too much power in it... it's a little more fragile than a Rustler.

There are electric 4wd buggies and trucks from Tamiya that are preety good bashers, just not up to the performance standards of the racing stuff.

BTW, the other Xxx4 racing type buggies will be expensive too...

orbitron
03-29-2004, 05:05 PM
Yeah - I'm essentially looking for a 4wd replacement for my evader. Unless I go nitro I have no options! Little bit of racing capabilities, lot of bashing capabilities... Actually the RS4 MT is now discontinued so much for the easy answer.

InspGadgt
03-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Well if you want scale realism look at the Tamiya Chevy S-10 and Ford F-150 stadium trucks on this page http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcitem/kit/kit58051.htm Part numbers 58146 and 58161. I'm not sure if they are still in production but as far as 4wd scale looks they are tough to beat.

nitrofun
03-31-2004, 11:16 AM
Not sure the amount of money you have to spend, but if you want something different, get the BJ4x4 Buggy. Its based on the tc3/b4. I don't know if its released yet? :cool:

Peterbilt
03-31-2004, 05:18 PM
Go over to the HPI RS4 Rally thread in the HPI discussion area. Some of those guys are doin some pretty sick stuff with those. Couple of pages in there is one catchin about 4 feet of air over a quadruple jump, with a photo to prove it. I'm not 100% on the details of that, but it looked cool.

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/rally/RallyIB-L.jpg

The car is a little more than just rally tires. Longer shocks, wide track, and has pretty good ground clearance for a car. I'd be willing to bet the low hanging body would hang you up more than anything else. It won't go places the Rustler can, but if you hit pavement, I think you'd have the advantage. I may go to the hobby shop this weekend and take a look at one. Maybe it'll be my 3rd RC...

orbitron
03-31-2004, 08:30 PM
RS4 Rally! :eek: It is pretty good from what I've heard. I'm getting one as soon as the LHS can get one in! Thanks all for the input.

Peterbilt
03-31-2004, 10:31 PM
Oh, I think I'll suggest one more. Tamiya has the Baja King 4WD buggy. Its not totally awesome as it lacks oil shocks (has short travel non oil units) and has no adjustable camber/toe links, but 1) Its very durable 2) VERY cheap ($79.99 @ Tower) 3) Pretty fast on stock drivetrain (RCCA clocked it at 20 MPH with the stock 540 that came with it). Cheap price leaves tons of money to add the adjustable links, oil shocks, and full set of bearings. It all depends on what interests you most. The Rally is very cool since it can pull double duty as a light offroader/onroader, but won't have a chance running with your buds Rustler unless yall are on pavement. G'luck with your choice ;)

orbitron
03-31-2004, 10:48 PM
Thanks. I was asking around on the RS4 rally forum and it seems that this car can handle what I'll be doing most of the time. I looked at the tamiyas but well, they seem to me to be toy cars.

I just bought an RS4 Rally with the Peugeot body for it.

Thanks for your help, and Have a happy day