PDA

View Full Version : tire removal=? bake/boil/freeze/chemical????

rampbrian
04-01-2004, 09:46 AM
hey guys, I believe I have the most stubornly glued tires in the world. I have proline maxx mulchers glued to ofna dominator rims. I want to mount the tires on my proline dish rims so I can put them on my monster gt. ( maxx style hex hubs )

so far I have tried just pulling at them to get them off, = not working
I have also tried using acitone = took off the glue around the out side of the rim, but the tires are still glued tight on the bead,
I tried using just plain ol nail polish remover, = still not working.

so I threw them in the freezer over night, some one told me that works,
so now its morning, and they are still glued on tight.
im trying to work at them to get the glue to loosen up a bit, and im not doing any good.

so now im down to boiling them or baking them. if its possible I would like to keep the tire foam in good usable shape. and I dont care if the rims get messed up. I have no use for dominator rims.

can any one give me exact directions on how to boil or bake them?

bake? 350? 375? how long? 20min? 30min? longer? and do you start trying to pull at the tire when its still hot? I dont want to melt them or deform them at all. im thinking a big cookie sheet with tin foil on top should be ok for in side the oven. but do I let them cool off before I start working at getting them off?

then there is the boil method, I have no idea? I guess you just get a big pot of water and dunk the tires in for a bit, how long? and again, do I wait till they cool to start prying at the tire to get them off the rim?

please help, and thank you in advance !!!!! ( im dying to run theese spikes)

rocknbil
04-01-2004, 10:12 AM
Yeah, boiling works, so long as you don't forget about them. :D Here's a recent discussion (http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162692).

rampbrian
04-01-2004, 10:36 AM
o boy!'

are the foams still good after you boil them? I herd some times the foam in the tire getts messed up some how?

Skagen
04-01-2004, 11:05 AM
Boiling would be your best bet. When you take the wheels out of the water make sure you use oven mits to seperate the tire from the rim - obviously it's going to be hot.

I tried baking wheels once and I ended up melting the rim. It was only in the oven for about 90 seconds at 350. If you bake, keep your eye on it.

raderrustler
04-01-2004, 11:16 AM
If you do not plan on re-using the rims drill some extra holes in the inside of the rim to get the hot water inside, it makes the process alot faster. Take the water to a rolling boil{Boiling and bubbling real good** then down to a slow boil barely any bubbles then add tire and rim, leave for 20 min, turn tire over and let boil for another 10 min. It should peel right off. As for the foams, it depends on the type of foam, stiff foam does not care for hot temps very much but the softer foams tend to be more heat resilient.
Randy

AreCee
04-01-2004, 11:37 AM
Bake at 350 degrees for ten to fifteen minutes should be adequate to break the bond. Your foams will be able to be reused unlike boiling. Also the higher temp releases the bond better than boiling and you can wait until the tires are cool to remove them unlike dealing with very hot water. Both nylon and ABS wheels will be fine but if you have any polystyrene wheels, they will warp or melt.

Either method will work but I found the baking method faster, dryer, cleaner and safer than boiling, it just smells worse.

rampbrian
04-01-2004, 01:12 PM
I ended up doing the boil method,
I drilled some extra holes in the rims, and it allowed hot water to get inside. 10 min each side of the rim. and flip.

hot water makes your hands all crazy burnt up. I forgot to put on gloves, and oven mits, so my hands are feeling a bit raw. im on the last tire right now, im letting it cool off for 10 min before I start prying at the last remenents of super glue. ( my hands are pretty sore tho.! )

the foams in the tires are ok., nothing bad happened to them. and I am suprised how well boiling them works.

freezing them did nothing!