PDA

View Full Version : Too many questions!

Ferrari_Spyder
04-03-2004, 01:15 PM
ive got so many questions:

1. where can i buy mugen parts online? (wing mount)

2. where can i buy hotbodies parts online?

3. when i go to pay at nitrohouse.com it wont let me pick paypal as my payment type like it shows in the ordering information, why so?

4. have i been hearing things or have some people said the words "t-maxx2"

5. after i clean an engine with some denatured alchohol, what should i do before i run the engine again(flush fuel through?, air out alchohol?, etc.)

6. if i am disecting my engine looking for damage after running without an airfilter for a bit (unknowingly) what am i looking for?

7. the powerboards for starterboxes, what are their uses besides the glowplug-from-the-starter-battery?

8. ive red places explaining how to read your glowplug. mine looks wet and green, is my engine all f'ed up?

9. why do glowplug heaters battery last so little (10 starts)

10. im trying to figure out the sprays that i need. i need a cleaner spray (T.A. emeralds looks good), something to clean bearings, diff gears, motor spray(or denatured alchohol?) and all the lubes i would ever need for different things.

11. how do i cut zipties when they are tight around and object?

12. why does towerhobbies not carry losi?

13. what are the different paint-coatings i would need (obviously the paint, then the other coatings to keep it on and etc.)

14. why do servo-trays need to be metal. are they prone to breaking? plastic would save wait and flex to act as a servo-saver.

15. what is the servo-saver that is on the servo? pictures?

16. the dynamite torque start looks to be the best starterbox, good decision?

17. my manual says that i have to have an authorized technician change crystals on my xr3i, does this mean i cant change crystals at the track?

18. my fuel line that came with my buggy crimps very easily and is a pain to position so it doesnt, what some good fuel line that wont crimp???

19. what is one little speck of dirt going to do to a nitro engine?

20. are all shock oils the same (companies) are there some that are cheaper for a larger bottle?

21. how do i clean bearings? if i cant clean them, should i replace ones that make noise when you spin them?

i think thats all i can think of for now, any answers would be great!

Krasi_5000
04-03-2004, 01:55 PM
:eek: ohhh my god talk about alot of questions.

Ferrari_Spyder
04-03-2004, 02:14 PM
do you want more? :cool:

masshybrid
04-03-2004, 02:43 PM
It must be raining there too.

kitty
04-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Tower carries Mugen stuff. Nitrohouse does too.

Various places sell HB parts, but I have yet to see any that sell the full line of HB stuff.

3. when i go to pay at nitrohouse.com it wont let me pick paypal as my payment type like it shows in the ordering information, why so?
Give them a call. They're great people. I had the same problem once but I forget what the solution was, though I did call them.

You've been hearing things. Just kidding ;) I've read the same rumours, though nothing so far to substantiate any of them.

5. after i clean an engine with some denatured alchohol, what should i do before i run the engine again(flush fuel through?, air out alchohol?, etc.)
Are you talking about cleaning the outside or the inside? Outside you don't need to do anything other than let it dry. Inside, lube it with some after run oil or something similar (3-in-1, Marvel Mystery Oil).

6. if i am disecting my engine looking for damage after running without an airfilter for a bit (unknowingly) what am i looking for?
Look for obvious scratches on anything, especially the sides of the sleeve. Check the bearings to see if they feel "crunchy."

7. the powerboards for starterboxes, what are their uses besides the glowplug-from-the-starter-battery?
Powering minor stuff that requires 12v DC - stuff like cooling stands that cool motors off, etc. It depends on what connections it has on the front panel. Some include a jack for recharging the battery inside the starter box.

8. ive red places explaining how to read your glowplug. mine looks wet and green, is my engine all f'ed up?
Wet and green? I'd say it has gonorrhea. Are you sure it's green? What type of fuel are you using? If it has a green tint to it (though I haven't seen any that do), that would be the obvious. Blue Thunder fuel may look a bit green. Overall, though, if it's wet, it could be just fuel that's on it or an indicator that you're running a bit on the rich side. More information/discussion is needed on this one.

Not fully charging them. Older batteries don't last very long if you haven't ever cycled them (discharge, recharge, repeat). Nicad batteries have that "memory" thing going on. But not fully charging them is usually the main cause.

10. im trying to figure out the sprays that i need. i need a cleaner spray (T.A. emeralds looks good), something to clean bearings, diff gears, motor spray(or denatured alchohol?) and all the lubes i would ever need for different things.
Depends on if you're talking electric or nitro. Electric motors need motor spray. I use either motor spray or denatured alcohol (methanol) to clean my bearings. When they're clean, I re-lube them with Trinity bearing lube, though any light machine oil will do the trick. Motor spray is also good for cleaning out CVDs. I use a product by 3-in-1 that's a spray-in foamy white lithium grease to re-lube my CVD joints. It dries to a waxy kinda substance and helps keep dirt out. I even use it in my drive cups. For overall cleaning, Simple Green works wonders for removing dirt and even nitro exhaust junk. I use it diluted 1:3 SG:water, then rinse off with water then blow dry it with my compressor. Just gotta keep it out of electronics. I could make a big list of the various chemicals, lubes, etc that I use.

There's a pliers-looking cutting tool commonly called dikes that work great and cut right against the "block" part of a zip tie.

Because there is another place that is the exclusive distributor for Losi. I forget which one, as I don't own a Losi vehicle.

13. what are the different paint-coatings i would need (obviously the paint, then the other coatings to keep it on and etc.)
Do you mean for painting clear lexan bodies? Check the painting forum for tons of info on that one.

14. why do servo-trays need to be metal. are they prone to breaking? plastic would save wait and flex to act as a servo-saver.
Servo trays on some vehicles such as 1/8 buggies need to be metal for rigidity. Plastic would flex way too much and would wreak havoc with fine adjustments.

Eh? Which servo? What pictures?

I've never seen it, though I'm not big on parts from Dynamite. Though most of them are made by other manufacturers and just re-badged, I haven't been too happy with the parts I have purchased with the Dynamite name on them. I'm partial to some of the Ofna starter boxes. Duratrax makes a fairly decent one too. Depends on what vehicle(s) it's for.

17. my manual says that i have to have an authorized technician change crystals on my xr3i, does this mean i cant change crystals at the track?
You can change them yourself. Just don't tell JR that if you ever need it serviced and change the crystals back. Other radio manufacturers say that too.

18. my fuel line that came with my buggy crimps very easily and is a pain to position so it doesnt, what some good fuel line that wont crimp???
Pretty much any medium-size fuel line is suitable. Good thing to have plenty of around. I bought a 25' roll of clear fuel tubing from Tower, but I also keep on hand a few lengths of the pretty coloured stuff too. Where is your fuel line crimping? It may be too short.

Whatever it wants to. Too general of a question, really.

20. are all shock oils the same (companies) are there some that are cheaper for a larger bottle?
Beats me. I haven't found any in larger bottles. There are a lot of opinions on whether weights vary from one brand to another. To my knowledge, no one has yet been able to provide a definitive answer to that one.

21. how do i clean bearings? if i cant clean them, should i replace ones that make noise when you spin them?
I put mine in a small jar with some methanol or motor spray and swish 'em around. If they're really dirty, I'll empty out the solvent and repeat the procedure. It depends on what kinda noise they make when you spin them. If it's a grinding noise. try cleaning them first, then re-lubing them (see what I wrote way up there about lubing them). If they're really messed up then by all means replace them.

Ferrari_Spyder
04-04-2004, 12:42 PM
wow this board needs alot more people like you! thank you very much

8. yup i run bluethunder fuel

11. where can i find one of these "dikes"?

15. theres a servosaver on the car chassis itself and then i have heard about a servo-saver on the actual servo itself(like a rubber pad or something inbetween the servo and servo-horn)

22. no i dont have pictures there, if i go to the website, it has that message over every picture. i have not been able to view the pictures in like half a year. nobody has been able to figure this out?

rocknbil
04-04-2004, 01:01 PM
WOW kitty, great job, slow night? :D I'll help a little here . . .

11. where can i find one of these "dikes"?
Another word for them is "wire cutters," any hardware store.

15. theres a servosaver on the car chassis itself and then i have heard about a servo-saver on the actual servo itself(like a rubber pad or something inbetween the servo and servo-horn)
The stock servo savers that come with some kits, such as an AE or a Losi, are a spring-actuated cam built right into the steering linkage. If you take a hard hit, the cam compresses the springs allowing the linkage to give rather than putting the strain to the servo. these are by far superior to on-servo savers (IMO) that have a little play in them.

22. no i dont have pictures there, if i go to the website, it has that message over every picture. i have not been able to view the pictures in like half a year. nobody has been able to figure this out?

In Internet Explorer, I presume? Try this:

Main Menu->Tools->Internet Options

Click the Advanced tab

Scroll down to the Multimedia section

See if the "Show Pictures" box is checked. If not, check it.

Click OK, you may or may not have to restart your browser for it to take effect.

raderrustler
04-04-2004, 08:48 PM
PEANUTS...LOL

Randy

kitty
04-04-2004, 10:07 PM
Stop talking about your dangly bits, Randy :eek: hehehe

rocknbil - I was just trying to be helpful, as no one else had anything other than smart-butt comments prior to my post. Plus, I type pretty fast. Funny thing, though, it wasn't long after that post that the board went down. Maybe that's what caused it heh

Ferrari guy - what's the URL where your pictures are?

rocknbil
04-05-2004, 02:47 AM
. . . Stop talking about your dangly bits, Randy . . .

Owww I know that's gotta hurt! LOL :D

Kitty I was being serious (IF you can believe that,) I couldn't have said it better. And peanuts will be along soon, just wait 'n see. :D

Toyotatogo
04-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Tower carries Mugen stuff. Nitrohouse does too.

Various places sell HB parts, but I have yet to see any that sell the full line of HB stuff.

Give them a call. They're great people. I had the same problem once but I forget what the solution was, though I did call them.

You've been hearing things. Just kidding ;) I've read the same rumours, though nothing so far to substantiate any of them.

Are you talking about cleaning the outside or the inside? Outside you don't need to do anything other than let it dry. Inside, lube it with some after run oil or something similar (3-in-1, Marvel Mystery Oil).

Look for obvious scratches on anything, especially the sides of the sleeve. Check the bearings to see if they feel "crunchy."

Powering minor stuff that requires 12v DC - stuff like cooling stands that cool motors off, etc. It depends on what connections it has on the front panel. Some include a jack for recharging the battery inside the starter box.

Wet and green? I'd say it has gonorrhea. Are you sure it's green? What type of fuel are you using? If it has a green tint to it (though I haven't seen any that do), that would be the obvious. Blue Thunder fuel may look a bit green. Overall, though, if it's wet, it could be just fuel that's on it or an indicator that you're running a bit on the rich side. More information/discussion is needed on this one.

Not fully charging them. Older batteries don't last very long if you haven't ever cycled them (discharge, recharge, repeat). Nicad batteries have that "memory" thing going on. But not fully charging them is usually the main cause.

Depends on if you're talking electric or nitro. Electric motors need motor spray. I use either motor spray or denatured alcohol (methanol) to clean my bearings. When they're clean, I re-lube them with Trinity bearing lube, though any light machine oil will do the trick. Motor spray is also good for cleaning out CVDs. I use a product by 3-in-1 that's a spray-in foamy white lithium grease to re-lube my CVD joints. It dries to a waxy kinda substance and helps keep dirt out. I even use it in my drive cups. For overall cleaning, Simple Green works wonders for removing dirt and even nitro exhaust junk. I use it diluted 1:3 SG:water, then rinse off with water then blow dry it with my compressor. Just gotta keep it out of electronics. I could make a big list of the various chemicals, lubes, etc that I use.

There's a pliers-looking cutting tool commonly called dikes that work great and cut right against the "block" part of a zip tie.

Because there is another place that is the exclusive distributor for Losi. I forget which one, as I don't own a Losi vehicle.

Do you mean for painting clear lexan bodies? Check the painting forum for tons of info on that one.

Servo trays on some vehicles such as 1/8 buggies need to be metal for rigidity. Plastic would flex way too much and would wreak havoc with fine adjustments.

Eh? Which servo? What pictures?

I've never seen it, though I'm not big on parts from Dynamite. Though most of them are made by other manufacturers and just re-badged, I haven't been too happy with the parts I have purchased with the Dynamite name on them. I'm partial to some of the Ofna starter boxes. Duratrax makes a fairly decent one too. Depends on what vehicle(s) it's for.

You can change them yourself. Just don't tell JR that if you ever need it serviced and change the crystals back. Other radio manufacturers say that too.

Pretty much any medium-size fuel line is suitable. Good thing to have plenty of around. I bought a 25' roll of clear fuel tubing from Tower, but I also keep on hand a few lengths of the pretty coloured stuff too. Where is your fuel line crimping? It may be too short.

Whatever it wants to. Too general of a question, really.

Beats me. I haven't found any in larger bottles. There are a lot of opinions on whether weights vary from one brand to another. To my knowledge, no one has yet been able to provide a definitive answer to that one.

I put mine in a small jar with some methanol or motor spray and swish 'em around. If they're really dirty, I'll empty out the solvent and repeat the procedure. It depends on what kinda noise they make when you spin them. If it's a grinding noise. try cleaning them first, then re-lubing them (see what I wrote way up there about lubing them). If they're really messed up then by all means replace them.

OMG??? :eek: no she didn't ! have alot of free time on your hands huh? kitty :rolleyes: lol