PDA

View Full Version : Deans or tamiya

mooey1232003
04-06-2004, 05:04 PM
i am going to buy new batteries but i dont know if i should buy them with Deans or tamiya connectors. i cant solder good but i will have to change my ESC and charger connectors if i use deans. should i get them with deans?how easy is it to install deans?

howielong
04-06-2004, 05:20 PM
It is easy to install deans. So i would have to say deans. There is so much power loss with the tamiya's.

Tl-01 dude88
04-06-2004, 05:29 PM
deans could be a pain to solder if using a too high watt of an iron. I've had experiences when the small slot inside the plug moved because the plastic got so hot. But in the long run, deans will give you much less resistence and are much better than tamiya's.

If you cant solder good, get a second person to help you. Remember, males plugs on the esc part that connects to the batteries and male plugs on the motor. Females on the batteries.

*Miller*
04-06-2004, 08:16 PM
I use Corally connectors. The last time I ever used Tamiya plugs was when a pair melted and fused together during use in my Pro3

mooey1232003
04-06-2004, 08:19 PM
i think i am going to wait to get deans because i still need to save up money for the charger for the batteries

Prelude14WRX
04-06-2004, 08:20 PM
Deans all the way...........u will only get better at soldering by doing projects. I used to be horrible, but i started out on deans and have gotten better ever since. ;)

Kevin_366
04-06-2004, 09:12 PM
To prevent the problem that tl-01 dude stated, you can put the oppisite plug in the connector you are soldering to prevent it from moving. Deans, no question.

Breakin2
04-06-2004, 09:34 PM
Can you charge deans batteries by putting aligator clips right on the connectors?

rcsk8er
04-06-2004, 09:36 PM
DEANS ALL THE WAY! They have like hardly any resistance and they dont burn up.
You could also go lightspeeds too but they can somtimes be a pain to solder.
-Cody T.

kitty
04-06-2004, 11:52 PM
Can you charge deans batteries by putting aligator clips right on the connectors?
Batteries should have a female connector, so it would be hard to put alligator clips inside. In addition to that, there'd be the risk of the clips touching (alligator clips like to move around) and fritzing out your battery and charger, as well as the loss of power through the clips to begin with.

In my opinion, not a good idea at all.

Miller - what are Corally connectors?

rcsk8er - what are lightspeeds?

highroller
04-07-2004, 03:32 AM
Lightspeeds are the Sermos (red and black plastic housing with a metal connector) referred to a power pole connectors. These are very low resistance connectors, cheaper and easier to use than Deans - the downside fragile if motor spray gets on plastic housing, 12 awg wire won't fit in metal contact (some wire strands will have to be removed), contact has to snap into plastic housing - contact is more prone to corrision and wear.
Non race vehicles use the Sermos connectors (still feel they are cheaper to replace vs slight problems accociated with them) while hardwiring is widely used for race vehicles or Deans were used in the past or when there is no electricity available.

Breakin2
04-07-2004, 08:00 AM
How would somebody charge a Dean's battery then? I was thinking about converting my batteries, but I don't want it to be a pain each time I charge them.

mooey1232003
04-07-2004, 09:01 AM
you have to change the connectors on that. but i have a extra connectot so i can make a piece of wire with deans on one side and the tamiya connector to fit in the charger.

KTRTS
04-07-2004, 09:34 AM
[QUOTE=kitty]
Miller - what are Corally connectors?QUOTE]
I'm not Miller, but I use them as well ;)

one half (female) is a gold tube. The other (male) is a smaller tube which plugs into the larger one. the smaller tube has like bent pieces of wire to hold it in, hard to see in the picture

male: http://www.corally.com/images/1634.jpg
female: http://www.corally.com/images/1631.jpg

DCLXVI
04-07-2004, 10:57 AM
Looks like the ones I use as motor connectors...only the ones I'm using are longer...they work good but I'd never use them as battery connector...(I don't like the idea of having "two loose" wires from the battery)...

KTRTS
04-07-2004, 11:10 AM
I cover the female connectors in shrink wrap :)

rocknbil
04-07-2004, 11:38 AM
. . . i cant solder good but i will have to change my ESC and charger connectors if i use deans. should i get them with deans?how easy is it to install deans?

All of the above, yeah go with Deans. I use Race Preps myself, but ANYTHING is better than Tamaya plugs.

If you are going to have an electric you really need to learn to solder, and there's a simple trick to it, practice on some old wire.

Here's the trick: you have to heat both surfaces, not just melt the solder.

Clamp the two surfaces together with something like hemostats - this is a must or you'll wind up burning yourself - then hold the soldering tip so it touches BOTH surfaces a little bit. The hotter the iron the less time it will take, but just hold it there for 5 or 10 seconds, then touch the solder to the SURFACES, not the soldering tip - when it starts to melt, that's your assurance the surface is hot enough to make a good bond. The solder will actually run TOWARDS the heat.

xj sean
04-07-2004, 11:42 AM
Make sure you tin the soldering iron tip also. makes a huge difference in how quickly the parts to be soldered heat up

*Miller*
04-07-2004, 02:13 PM

So do I.

Dan H
04-07-2004, 04:17 PM
I use Deans for my battery play packs and the Corally style for racing on my XXXS. Just practice soldering. The Deans are worth the extra money.

DCLXVI
04-07-2004, 04:34 PM
So do I.

So would I do but I still would not trust it...I'm not a racer and as far as I can see, my TXT manages to do with the Tamiya plugs...I will upgrade later though...to deans...

howielong
04-07-2004, 04:37 PM
Do you mean the wire were it connects to the plug. If so i did it to both male and female.

BCat125
04-07-2004, 05:27 PM
I only use lightspeed connectors. They hold up great under heat, are easy to change and you can make the connection from the esc to the motor and esc to the battery different so you dont accidentally plug the battery into the wrong connector if you dond hardwire the motor to the esc.

KTRTS
04-08-2004, 05:30 AM
Do you mean the wire were it connects to the plug. If so i did it to both male and female.

No, i mean I cover the female tube. The male tube goes right into the female tube. Only the female tube is exposed. There isn't any wire exposed on the join from the tube to the wire.

IF that makes any sense :D

howielong
04-08-2004, 12:45 PM
It makes some sense.

Wakegod
04-10-2004, 02:47 PM
As many have said switch to dean's or another high quality plug. The first time your tamiya connectors melt and fuse together will be enough reason to justify the change. I hate tamiya connectors. Oh, and I find dean's very easy to solder.

lerningdriver
04-10-2004, 09:04 PM
I ran mine for 3 years now with no fuesing together.. but my friend did have it happan on him and now he's done with tamiya (plugs that is) :)