PDA

View Full Version : Does Removing Tires Ruin Them?

TC3-MikeB
04-08-2004, 05:59 PM
I've read all the threads on removing rubber tires from rims but will any of the described methods ruin the tires, rims, or inserts? I glued up a set of tires (only my second try/set) and they are all lopsided and out-of-round, and I am hoping I can get the tires off so I can do them better. Any help is very appreciated. Thanks, Mike

InspGadgt
04-08-2004, 08:23 PM
If they are allready glued they are stuck until it's time to replace them. At the very least trying to remove them now will rip up the bead of the tire if not the tire itself. If you manage to get the tire off without damaging it then your foam insert will be soaking wet with water or whatever chemical you used and will need a while to dry out properly. Often tires that are lopsided are due to the foam insert bunching up. With some patience you can work the foam around even wih the tire glued to take out some of the wobble.

Jered
04-09-2004, 02:16 PM
If you soak your glued tires in acetone overnight they will come off easily. you may have to scrape a small amount of glue from the wheel afterward, but nothing is ruined doing it this way. The acetone evaporates pretty quickly after you pull them out, just squeeze acetone out the foam, and set it aside.