PDA

View Full Version : Discharge?

seagull22ds
04-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Hey I have a Pirahna CX-15 charger, stupid me I rarely discharge and the other day i was chargin up at the charger started smokin'. I turned it off checked it at the charge aps was off the scale. So I'm dishcharging now and its been like an hour of discharging and its barely past 0 is there any way I can speed up or tell if its discharging? thanks
Dave

RecordBreaker
04-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Hey I have a Pirahna CX-15 charger, stupid me I rarely discharge and the other day i was chargin up at the charger started smokin'. I turned it off checked it at the charge aps was off the scale. So I'm dishcharging now and its been like an hour of discharging and its barely past 0 is there any way I can speed up or tell if its discharging? thanks
Dave

Sounds like you below a resistor.. if so, don't discharge with that unit anymore!!

born2rc
04-09-2004, 04:54 PM
Or you could just have it fixed

seagull22ds
04-10-2004, 12:43 AM
Aha! found it, the needle is screwed up! its fine! YEs!

lerningdriver
04-10-2004, 01:06 AM
the best way (and safest for your batteries) to discharge them is to just run them in your car untill the wheels stop moving. or you can connect a few regular light bulbs to it, that works good too. I know rcca had an article about this not that long ago.

highroller
04-10-2004, 01:48 AM
Running them in your vehicles until it stops moving is not the best way to completely discharge your pack - it may take cells below a safe voltage. The best and cheaper way is the lightbulb route - build a string of lightbulbs 5-10 is series soldering them together you can add a cutoff device to stop the discharge when pack reaches a certain voltage level or watch the pack and remove the string of bulbs when they begin to dim (for all battery types). To further equalize the cells so they are close to the same voltage level attach one single bulb with the appropiate connector to the back and remove when bulb dims.

The problem with discharging packs on some chargers is the rate is too low only about 2amp, plus if pack voltage is too high (6.50volts) it may burn out the resistors or something else in your charger.

SandManRacing
04-10-2004, 04:46 PM
Schematic of a discharger with cutoff here:

Discharger (http://24.203.185.62:85/images/circuits/dechargeur.GIF)

Sorry, the text is in french, but the drawing talks by itself.

Bye