PDA

View Full Version : why do we do what we do

biker dude 666
04-11-2004, 04:49 PM
people at school ask me why i "play" with "toy" cars. My answer is because i like to have fun, and i like racing my car. Sure its a lot of money now and then. But thats only when i crash and i dont crash much. Thye tell me save up for a car. But i dont have ot worry about that. . . somebodys buying me mine. Just want to know what yall think on the subject. any criticism, opions or anything else is welcome. oh yeah just got a new era gas motorcycle drag chopper. not even put together or opened yet. it was sitting on my desk when i got up this morning and nobody will tell me where it came from and who got it so i can give them a formal thank-you. :) :cool:

RC10tee3
04-11-2004, 05:04 PM
someone just gave you the drag bike? and wont tell you who? lol lucky,,i want one of those

Prelude14WRX
04-11-2004, 05:04 PM
I hate when people say that stuff......at least im spending my money in a hobby and not drugs or anything :rolleyes:

biker dude 666
04-11-2004, 05:09 PM
thats funny because all the people who ask me do drugs . . . crasy isnt it. about the drag bike, you sorta want one and you sorta dont, its crzy to put together :mad: . plus i cant start on it till tuesday. :eek: i have **** ot do over spring break

Krasi_5000
04-12-2004, 12:08 AM
yeah i get that alot too but i just tell them that its fun and its my hobby and they cant chage that.
Nothing in the world can get me out of rc!

rocknbil
04-12-2004, 01:07 AM
... it was sitting on my desk when i got up this morning and nobody will tell me where it came from and who got it so i can give them a formal thank-you ...

Oh that must suck so bad, I feel so sorry for you man . . . .

NOT!! :D

Many people do RC for different reasons. At the root of it all I think, young or old, is that we recognize the importance of having fun, it keeps you young, it reminds you that life is not all about going for the gold or making The Big Bucks.

You should not be offended that people call them toys (it's the WAY they call them toys that's offensive.) They are, indeed, toys. Technically advanced, tunable, micro-machines, but in effect they are a toy as much as any ATV, power boat, motorcycle, or target rifle - they are used for entertainment and play a very important role in a healthy personality.

Now sent me your bike, I'll put it together for you and send it back. Honest. :D

biker dude 666
04-12-2004, 09:40 AM
Oh that must suck so bad, I feel so sorry for you man . . . .

NOT!! :D

Many people do RC for different reasons. At the root of it all I think, young or old, is that we recognize the importance of having fun, it keeps you young, it reminds you that life is not all about going for the gold or making The Big Bucks.

You should not be offended that people call them toys (it's the WAY they call them toys that's offensive.) They are, indeed, toys. Technically advanced, tunable, micro-machines, but in effect they are a toy as much as any ATV, power boat, motorcycle, or target rifle - they are used for entertainment and play a very important role in a healthy personality.

Now sent me your bike, I'll put it together for you and send it back. Honest. :D

will you buy me the engine, radio gear, fuel, glow plug and glow
igniter? :rolleyes:

yeah your real car can be yo toy, i see what you are talking about. i didnt think anybody would feel sorry for me oon getting the bike. hmm wierd people :D :rolleyes:

GT-Racing
04-12-2004, 11:51 AM
its nuts. i have gotten into it cause i cant race my ATV's or Dirtbikes anymore. i had them the whole time but they were just a small hobby. now they are my main thing and i cant figure out why i didnt do this sooner! its cheaper than quads and dirtbikes and you can use them much more and anywhere! tricking out the RC10GT is alot easier then the R!

TC3Racer
04-12-2004, 01:57 PM
i really haven't gotten much crap about it. I live in a dorm and when the guys find out i spend so much on RC cars they think its pretty dumb until they see it for real. i was editing a segment of my Storm running some hot laps and they definitely changed there minds. In fact, 3 of them are in the market for a new stadium truck. haha.

One time i was running my Storm and it was off and i had it on the driveway and i was fixing a turnbuckle adjustment. About 4 smart ass guys about 2 years younger than me came up and asked why i waste my time with dumb toys.... i said "dumb toys?!" started it up and started driving it up and down the street at WOT and hitting curb jumps and stuff.

They shut up after that. haha.

howielong
04-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Im into rc's to keep myself away from drugs. Plus im asked alot why do you have so many toy cars. Im just like it is a hobby that keeps me from drugs. So yeah. Have fun with the drag bike.

KTRTS
04-12-2004, 03:47 PM
my dad went to the schumacher factory once for business and he went with with a couple of other people who didn't know about 'proper' r/cs. When they were showed some of the cars, the other 2 people were like, umm... these aren't really toys are they, they're like real cars, but shrunk...

They seem keen on getting into it now :

BCat125
04-12-2004, 04:01 PM
The people at my school thought they were toys until i showed them my website and a person actually saw me launch my buggy at an mt show.

badtodabone
04-12-2004, 05:46 PM
I have a friend who in 5th grade was sparked with interest when I showed him a rcca mag. He saved up anof money to buy a rustler and as soon as it broke he thrun it away. a brand new car he just chucked on the shelf and it has been there for 3 years.Rc is awsome off the roof action.

lerningdriver
04-12-2004, 07:13 PM
I hate when people say that stuff......at least im spending my money in a hobby and not drugs or anything :rolleyes:

very, VERY true! i'm gonna tell my parents that and hopefully they will order me the steering knuckles I need to run :cool:

Prelude14WRX
04-12-2004, 09:10 PM
I have a friend who in 5th grade was sparked with interest when I showed him a rcca mag. He saved up anof money to buy a rustler and as soon as it broke he thrun it away. a brand new car he just chucked on the shelf and it has been there for 3 years.Rc is awsome off the roof action.

What a stupid kid :rolleyes: :D Ask him if i can have it :p

Prelude14WRX
04-12-2004, 09:12 PM
very, VERY true! i'm gonna tell my parents that and hopefully they will order me the steering knuckles I need to run :cool:

Its always good to suck up to get free stuff :D

p.s. I use to live where u live :cool:

biker dude 666
04-14-2004, 06:45 PM
drugs bad, rc good

lerningdriver
04-14-2004, 07:56 PM
Its always good to suck up to get free stuff :D
it's actually not free, they wont let me buy the stuff with my own (hard earned!) money.

p.s. I use to live where u live :cool:

why'd you move? ... nvm, that was a stupid question :D j/k

Prelude14WRX
04-14-2004, 09:32 PM
it's actually not free, they wont let me buy the stuff with my own (hard earned!) money.

why'd you move? ... nvm, that was a stupid question :D j/k

Same here, i just burned 145$$ on esc and servo for new 1/12 scale.

Job transfer for dad....it was a cool place :D

2mcgrath
04-14-2004, 09:37 PM
well im 26 and into rc i dont see anything wrong with it at all.its a good positive way to spend your free time and having fun with friends that are into the hobby..its a pretty competetive hobby to i like that part also..because me and my friends go all out just to be able to outrun and out do each other..i myself to was into riding dirtbikes and all.. but places started getting slim to go riding where people didnt complain so i just got tired of the hassle..and got into this hobby i run mine in my yard and other places and havent had any complaints have had a alot of interested spectators though..

LiTtl3_Mik3
04-14-2004, 10:30 PM
i love rc because helped me start in racing. I wanted to race go-karts BUT they are very expressive and the closes track was more than 3 hours away. Then i was in the mall and saw a RCCA mag. Then i was hooked and the obsession started. :) :D :) :D :)

ososlow
04-15-2004, 02:39 AM
I have always owned Radio Shack rc's and one day my cousin handed me the radio for his King Blackfoot and I was hooked. I saved up all my money for 10 months so I could buy a stampede :D . People have made fun of my "toys" but I think of them as real toys like motorbikes and snowmobiles, not department store crap.
The stampede lasted me 4 years before I recently bought my tmaxx and my obsession slowly expanded from there, and I am planning on a few more purchases by the end of the year :D