PDA

View Full Version : Help a potential Newbie :)

Digitalden
04-19-2004, 08:48 PM
OK here we go. Im interested in getting a RC Car/Truck ( Hadn't driven a RC car in over 10 years) . I have been doing alot of reading in these forums and others tying to figure out what to get.

Nitro / Electric: I think I am leaning toward nitro because I hate fooling with charging batteries all the time. Is this a good option for a newbie( I am very mechanical with real cars and electronics)

Car/Truck/buggy: I am interested in on and offroad. The offroad would just be yard and dirt not much rocks so I was leaning toward a buggy. What do you think??

ok overall I am looking for something I can have allot of fun with and also my 4 year old daughter to learn. Im not looking to race it just recreational. I would like it to be fast like around 30+ mph. Ok now the tough part. Im sure Ill get flamed but here it goes Im wanting to spend about $300 Maybe $400 tops on the car + Radio. I know most people will say to get this one or that one which is $500+. Im not wanting to spend that much on this hobbie right now. Oh yeah the last thing I would like is plenty off addons to hop it up in the future. Thanks for any help you could provide.

TC3Racer
04-19-2004, 09:16 PM
there are plenty of RTR trucks to get at the price you are looking for. I reccomend a Team Associated GT RTR. It has endless hop up oppurtunities and performance is excellent. It fits all the things you are looking for in an RC car. check out www.towerhobbies.com i believe it runs around 250-300 dollars. Ready To Run. The engine is reliable and it is fast and capable. Great for your daughter to learn on as well. Going nitro as a newbie used to be frowned upon but now, nitro engines are very easy and problem free to work with its not as finicky as some older engines have been. Also Team Associated is one of the best, if not THE best RC car company out there.

Anyway let us know if you have any more questions and we'll be sure to get back to ya! Welcome to the boards man and this great hobby!

Brad in Perth
04-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Well I'm no Pro but becuase no one else has responded to your question I will give it a go. If you want a nitro and a buggy they pretty much only come in 1/8th scale but they cost alot, unless you get a RTR like the Hot Bodies Lightning RR Buggy RTR ($300.00 from tower). Also you can check out the Duratrax line up becuase they are cheap and becing more and more popular I think. They will also leave a some room in ytour buget to by parts and hopups if you want. And any extras you might need. Have fun and let us know what you end up getting.

Brad in Perth
04-19-2004, 09:22 PM
ok scrap what i said about no one else replying cause TC3Racer beat me to it. :-)

Pro3/nmt105
04-19-2004, 09:22 PM
I think you could get a Hot Bodies Lightning for that price, but it would have to be rtr. The HB lightning is a knock off of the Kyosho Inferno 7.5 and is supposed to be the best low priced buggy out there. You'd need alot of room to run a buggy though and I think it might be a little dangerous for your daughter to run, but if the radio has endpoint adjustment (I wouldnt know) you can turn it down to make it go slower, but you'll have to keep a very close eye on her because they're are very hot parts and moving parts to get fingers caught in on a nitro car. What ever you get it'll almost definitly have to be a rtr because you cant get everything in that price range otherwise.

Edit: Wow in the time it took me to type that two people beat me to it. I like Tc3 racer's idea, a GT would be better than a buggy for backyard bashing.

josh222
04-19-2004, 09:24 PM
So you want off-road, well you should go for a buggy or stadium truck.

Here are some trucks you could get....

HPI Nitro MT 2 RTR (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFSK5&P=7)

RC10GT Plus RTR (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLU0&P=ML)

DuraTrax Nitro Evader ST RTR (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDJL9**&P=ML)

DuraTrax Nitro Evader BX RTR (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDLL7**&P=ML)

Ofna Ultra MBX Pro RTR (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAXV1&P=0)

I would go with what your Local Hobby Shop has parts for, hope this helps :)

Digitalden
04-20-2004, 06:11 PM
Thanks for all the great replys... After reading all the replys I think Im going to go with a stadium truck. I didnt know about them till after reading your replys. It sounds like it would be just what Im looking for. Now I just have to figure out which one ;). So am I correct in thinking the difference in a stadium truck and a buggy is 2wd and 4wd ??

space_doc
04-20-2004, 07:24 PM
No, both the buggies and stadium trucks (ST) are 2WD. The difference is in their ride height and handling ability. There are 4WD buggies, but they don't make ST counterparts for them.

I suggest the duratrax because they're less expensive. If you're going to let your four year old run it, I'd hate to see her wreck it and have you feel like you wasted money. Though, some may say the others are more durable and therefore worth the higher price.

kitty
04-20-2004, 07:35 PM
There is a 4WD ST. Though it has "MT" in the name, the HPI RS4MT (Nitro MT2) is more of a stadium truck and it's 4WD.

Digitalden
04-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Thanks. No Im not going to let her drive it. I was just going to let her watch and learn and if she likes it then get her one of her own( Smaller and not as fast of course)

Pro3/nmt105
04-20-2004, 08:20 PM
With stadium trucks you're definitly better off going with 2wd. 2wd trucks are faster than the 4wd trucks and handle just as well if not better. I your planning to go through real rough stuff you might want to get 4wd, but in that case a monster truck would be a better choice.

josh222
04-20-2004, 09:06 PM
go with what yor hobby shop has parts for,thats how I chose my RS4 3 TYPE SS :)

Digitalden
04-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Thanks again for all the help. I think Im going to go with a Stadium Truck 2wd. Ill have to swing by my Local shop and see what they carry. Im sure the prices at a local shop suck :) I had a few people suggest the Traxxas Nitro Rustler but Im thinking that it may be a bit much ( Speed) for a newbie like me :) What do you think. How much slower is the Team Associated GT RTR?? Thanks

KTRTS
04-21-2004, 11:01 AM
I'd go with the GT RTR. I couldn't compare speed, but the GT is very reliable, and high quality for an RTR :)

crushed
04-21-2004, 12:03 PM
With stadium trucks you're definitly better off going with 2wd. 2wd trucks are faster than the 4wd trucks and handle just as well if not better. I your planning to go through real rough stuff you might want to get 4wd, but in that case a monster truck would be a better choice.
thats not nessacerily(sp) true my NMT has a .12 and it beats my friends gt any day and he has the 2.5 on it. speed and acceleation depend on 3 things surface, motor, and gearing.

RCMayhem293
04-22-2004, 10:45 PM
The Associated Monster GT has a top speed of 25-28 mph (or at least that's what I was told). It has great acceleration and can handle the rough stuff pretty well. In your situation (bashing), it would seem to suit you best. Your money though. Either way, you're gonna have fun.

Fantom 15 gt
04-23-2004, 01:57 AM
Um im preatty shure he means the normal gt not monster gt. Anyways the gt RTR plus will do about 38mph. I'd get the RC10GT RTR plus over the normal RTR because It comes with bearings, better chassis, better radio and glow igniter.