PDA

View Full Version : Radio setups

biped
04-20-2004, 06:48 AM
herro, this is my first post here, so be gentile on the replies,

i tried searching google, and some other places on some guides to setting up radios for ntc's, a lot of radios these days seem to have settings for punch and speed (for both steering and throttle). what are peoples preferences here ? do you like your radio to have super sensitive steering (small movement on radio, big movement on servo) or less sensitive steering (opposite).

My first radio is the KO mars, that has more settings then i currently use, i never had a cheap non adjustable radio, so i never got comfortable with a radio with a flat curve.

i seem to have problems problems exiting tight corners with the current radio setup, on exit, i let go of the wheel, and let it center itself, and try power out of a corner( i have it setup very flat, full turn of radio wheel = limit of steering). problem is that i sometimes loose my point of reference on the wheel, or if i need to make a quick adjustment. I don't think this is good technique. I think if i setup the steering curve to be super sensitive, then i won't have to let go of the wheel when straightening out, but then i loose some accuracy.

I rarely have time to experiment with the radio while at the track (i'm busy finding a setup, tuning motor, etc.. etc..), plus it takes some time to develop good new habits

so my question to everyone is :

a) resources or online guides to good radio technique.
b) personal preferences, and why you like em.

btw, great forum, thanx to the admins and contributors for keeping this going

greets from canada

baih
04-20-2004, 10:25 AM
stop letting go of the wheel. steer the car to the straight away. squeeze the throttle instead of punching it. if you are running a fast steering servo, when you let go of the steering to center itself its actually shakes the car. also if you are letting go of the steering wheel that means the car is not pointed straight down the straight away. you will have no idea when the car is going to get traction and accelerate. everytime you go to the straight away you must be going either right or left like the cars is drifting that way.
go to the track on practice day.

Krasi_5000
04-20-2004, 03:45 PM
yeah you should work on your driving skills were you arent so aggressive with the controls. It needs a fine touch to run good.
I never let of my steering wheel...only when the car is at a complete stop cause you never know when you might hit a bump, another car might cut you of etc etc always hold everything and dont just drop it.

biped
04-20-2004, 06:20 PM
heh, letting go of the steering wheel is obviously bad technique, i'm aware of this. this is why i'm asking for advice on techniques.

btw baih, i'm only out on practice days ty

Krasi, do you have a less sensitive, or more sensitive steering curve setting on your radio, is it more important to be smooth or accurate with this type of car. I'm going to try setup my radio so that it is supersensitive, with less finger motion hopefully it will be a lot easier to be smoother, and i won't have to letgo of the wheel.

how do you grip the wheel on your radio ? do you use your thumb and pointy finger, from the side ? or do you use 3 fingers from the top ?

i've seen some people hold their radios down around their belly, and some who hold their radios up near their head (antenna pointing back), the near the head position feels more natural for me, but i'm afraid of people snapping my antanna, is this bad technique as well ?

I understand a lot of this is just preference, but there has to be some right and wrongs one can use when learning.

InspGadgt
04-20-2004, 06:58 PM
The steering and throttle curves depend alot on the car and the track themselves. For my F201 I have a very sensitive steering curve at small inputs because the car just takes awhile to respond to steering but running a pan car the curve is exactly opposite. Then grip comes into play too...for a loose surface I tend to make the steering less sensitive then with a grippier surface. The only way to really tell is to play around with the adjustments a lot and see what works best for you.

Pro3/nmt105
04-20-2004, 08:33 PM
It really depends on your setup and how good you are at driving. If you have the car set up in a certain way it will feel twitchy, you can use the EXP on your radio to make it feel less twitchy, but as your driving improves it will feel less twitchy and have the faster reaction times that you're looking for. I hold the wheel from the side with three fingers and generally have the radio by my belly. Some people put the radio by their head to keep the antenna out of their view but I dont even notice the antenna unless I think about it. Just hold it in the way that feels most comfortable. Letting go of the wheel definately isnt a good idea. You should always have your fingers on the same spots on the wheel and bring the wheel back rather than letting go. Bringing it back yourself will make your driving style smoother, which is a good thing, and prevent you from losing your orientation.

Krasi_5000
04-20-2004, 10:09 PM
heh, letting go of the steering wheel is obviously bad technique, i'm aware of this. this is why i'm asking for advice on techniques.

btw baih, i'm only out on practice days ty

Krasi, do you have a less sensitive, or more sensitive steering curve setting on your radio, is it more important to be smooth or accurate with this type of car. I'm going to try setup my radio so that it is supersensitive, with less finger motion hopefully it will be a lot easier to be smoother, and i won't have to letgo of the wheel.

how do you grip the wheel on your radio ? do you use your thumb and pointy finger, from the side ? or do you use 3 fingers from the top ?

i've seen some people hold their radios down around their belly, and some who hold their radios up near their head (antenna pointing back), the near the head position feels more natural for me, but i'm afraid of people snapping my antanna, is this bad technique as well ?

I understand a lot of this is just preference, but there has to be some right and wrongs one can use when learning.

On my ntc3 i have the steering kinda in between cause if you have it at max sensitivity then it will be very responsive to every little movement of the wheel but if you make it very unsensitive then you wont get full turning ability and you will have to really work the wheel. I have mine so when i turn the radio wheel the wheels on the car turn and stop as the radio stops at max right or left. So like if you play with the dual rate steering then have it so you dont max out your car tires at half a turn but make sure they are 1:1.
Then...to hold it i use my thumb, index and middle fingers i hold it thumb on the left, index on top and middle on the right. Im right handed.
As for the radio holding it's really up to you. I find it most comfortable driving with the radio a little over my waste and the antenna pointing left going over my left shoulder in a way.
Just try different ways and see what you like best. But you have to stop the quick relese steering :p