PDA

View Full Version : What RC vehicle for sand?

Vmax911
04-24-2004, 06:23 PM
I'm wondering what the best RC vehicle for sand is. It seems there isn't dirt here in new mexico, just fine sand. I know stadium trucks are out, had an experience with my T3 outside. I'm thinking monster truck, but I wonder if they are too heavy. Anyone with experience in this type of environment?

lerningdriver
04-24-2004, 06:29 PM
if you get a monster truck you will need the monster paddles tyres so make sure you have money for that too.

chickenmobilin
04-24-2004, 06:51 PM
If you are into electric trucks , nothing says sand running like the ole' Clodbuster! I lived at the beach up until two years ago , and I ran my Clod's on the beach all the time :D
The maintanance involved is alittle more , because sand tends to works its way into everything , but its worth it!!

WDGuy
04-24-2004, 07:33 PM
I put a 11x2 Team Orion Rush, and pro-line paddle's on my T3 and it screams across the sand.

b3guyRC10
04-24-2004, 07:33 PM
I'd have to vote for the E-Maxx. It is electric, 4wd, lots of ground clearance, paddle like tires, and tons of torque. Yes you can run nitro's in the sand, but it is a heck of a lot of work. For sand, go with electric.

BCat125
04-24-2004, 08:14 PM
I would either get sand paddles for the t3 or get an electric monster (clod, e-maxx, twin force, Etc.) with some sand paddles.

Vmax911
04-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the fast responses guys!

Is the reason going for electric rather than nitro due to weight, or just because of the mess?

Strike 4
04-25-2004, 01:20 AM
Well nitro tends to be really oily and soaks up the sand and sometimes it can seep into the engine.

Kenny T
04-25-2004, 07:01 AM
My NMT handles the sand fine without any sand tyres, I'm using the stock Bow Ties.

fordman
04-25-2004, 12:21 PM
I love my NMT in the sand too, until cleaning time comes. the nitro residue soaks up EVERYTHING. lately I've been stealing my son's clod to go out to the lake with. it's not as fast, but that's also a good thing. Sometimes with the NMT during a powerslide, I would get it stuck in some deep fine sand. the clod never gets stuck, it goes anywhere, and cleanup takes less than a quarter of the time it did with my NMT. I say go electric- and try for a clod.

fordman
04-25-2004, 12:23 PM
or the electric Mt has that inner shell that's supposed to keep out dirt and stuff. I don't own one, so I don't know how well it works at keeping out sand. it is four wheel drive, and faster than a clod. just another choice

WDGuy
04-26-2004, 04:15 PM
I like my clod for sand too. No it isn't fast but it is really hard to get stuck, unless you have just front or rear motor hooked up.

Racer
04-26-2004, 11:26 PM
i'd say the e-maxx is the best right now-if you put some paddle tires on. you can also make your t3 good on the sand with some paddles and a faster motor...

got nitro
04-27-2004, 12:21 AM
nitro would work better than electric as long as you keep it cool

Revival
04-27-2004, 12:51 AM
Hi everyone.....sorry for posting first before introducing myself.....but I got to read this thread first so here goes:

Be it electric or gas, both requires quite a fair bit of maintenence when off-road is concern. For gas, the chassis gets alot more dirt due to oil residue after a good thrashing round the beach. but As long as your filter is well oil and doesn't pop out, there is nothing much to do except for dripping in after-run oil.

For electric, the problem is always sand getting into the motor can and the do create alot more havoc and that equates to more motor servicing as the brushes and commutator can get scratched and chipped, and sand getting stuck in the wire windings.

Spoon37
04-27-2004, 05:21 AM
nitro would work better than electric as long as you keep it cool

please enlighten me?

given that last I checked you needed floatation and torque to cross sand easily. electric motors develop most torque from zero RPM, so it is nearly impossible to get stuck....or bogged down.... and at speed I cant imagine that either would actually do better, other than perhaps the nitro developing more HP.

I realise I am coming from an electric MT standpoint(where twin motors and 4wd are commonplace), but what better for rough terrain?

a clod on imex pullers would work very well - a TXT maybe even better as all the electrics are mounted high up so you've less chance of getting sand in the motors and stuff......

;)

mrkinigit
04-28-2004, 01:34 AM
Brushless T3, using a B3 body as an inner body and using either paddles or IMEX G-hawgs or pullers on the rear. Brushless motors have sealed cans so motor contamination wont be much to worry about. A Novak system would be plenty of power.

Vmax911
04-28-2004, 11:15 AM
Brushless T3, using a B3 body as an inner body and using either paddles or IMEX G-hawgs or pullers on the rear. Brushless motors have sealed cans so motor contamination wont be much to worry about. A Novak system would be plenty of power.

That sounds like it might work well. Have you actually tried this, or is it just a suggestion?

mrkinigit
04-28-2004, 06:18 PM
I do run somthing similar. I'm running a traxxas rustler with a grave digger body, with a bandit body underneath. I've got stock tires up front and IMEX G-hawgs on the back. For now I'm running an Mtroniks Sport 15 and a peak performance jaguar 15x2, saving up for brushless. I've run this on a the little beach area on the lake and loved it. The extra waterproofing I did on the servo and reciever has saved my butt more than once. Belive it or not, Rusty's can float..just not very well hehe.

Vmax911
04-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Lol, I don't know if a T3 will float, and I don't think I will find out here in new mexico!

mrkinigit
04-29-2004, 01:16 AM
Well I had it floored running down the hard packed stuff left by high tide, and my left front caught some water and dragged the rest on it. Trying to drive it back onto dry land only made it worse. Once the front wheels start floating they dont steer to well, hehe. Had to grab some driftwood and get my feet wet to bring it back in. Pointed it towards land and floored it! hehe. Had to nudge it a bit to where the rears had some form of traction before it finaly drove onto the beach agian....
Maybe I should just get one of those amphibious tycho tank things and supe it up instead of trying to use my rusty like a boat lol

rampbrian
04-29-2004, 02:45 PM
I only go nitro now, I had a electric stadium truck, ( a associated T3 sport, and in stock form it could go no where in loose sand )

now I have a 1/8 scale buggy, and it goes nicely once it getts up some momentum, in lightly loose sand, but in totaly dry sugar sand, like in the middle of the desert you are going to need bigger tires to "float" on top of the sand.

I have a associated monster gt. and it absolutely kills every terrain there could ever be. for running it on extremely loose sand, I rotate the tires around backwards to pull all the sand to the middle of the tire, in stead of throwing it out the side, pulling it in helps it float on top.

the nitro side of rc is totaly where its all at. I cant stand electrics any more, but thats just me. nitro can be a royal pain in the butt too. the engines make oily gooey mess and require maintnence far beyond the standard electric car. but nitro stuff is 110% worth the extra effort required for them. hands down. and if you run out of fuel, you just walk over to your truck , fill the tank with more fuel, start it up again, and keep going, you could run for a couple of hours if you wanted to, but with electric cars, you have 15 min of run time per battery, and a hour of charging.

Vmax911
04-29-2004, 03:32 PM
I, too, am partial to nitro. But I am concerned about the weight of a nitro monster truck being a factor in the dunes. I don't even want to try my 1/8 buggy!

I will have to decide between setting up the T3 with a Novak Brushless ($240) +B3 body ($20) and Sand paddles ($20) or sell the T3 (-$??) and get an HPI Savage kit ($340).

Spoon37
04-29-2004, 04:38 PM
I, too, am partial to nitro. But I am concerned about the weight of a nitro monster truck being a factor in the dunes. I don't even want to try my 1/8 buggy!

lightweights...... :rolleyes:

get a nice E-maxx...load it up with alu goodies and then discover that even at up to 7kg it dont sink.......besides you could always use jumbo kongs - the ultimate floatation tyre!!lol

:D

Revival
04-30-2004, 12:37 AM
Brushless may be a way to go for off-road since the motor can is not vented where sand could get in. But its only good for off-roaders that requires one motor but for the twin motors I dont think there is any brushless ESC that can control two motors? There isnt one in Singapore at least........

It could be possible to have two brushless ESC connected to one radio but that is only theory.......unless someone has tried it. If it is possible then there is the cost factor which needs to be compared to a nitro powered off-roader.

As for me, when off-road is concern, I am leaning more towards nitro power rather than electric.

mrkinigit
04-30-2004, 03:06 AM
In most cases a single brushless motor can replace two brushed motors. A clod-buster or similarly setup truck would of course need two. But the higher rpm's that are produced by a brushless would be a waste on a clod anyway,normaly used as rock-crawlers.

Spoon37
04-30-2004, 09:42 AM
I dont know of any controller that will do twin BL motors - I dont know if theres a technical reason why it hasnt been done, or if its just simply that twin BL would pull too much current through one controller :confused:

connect twin ESC's to one channel are easy, ideally they should be programmed in sync, but thats a minor detail, all it takes is a servo Y lead. if the controller has BEC then you can switch on or the other on. if you switch both on you will see the same voltage but double the current(ok on low BEC output ESC's, i.e. 5v/1a each).

how do u work out that high RPM is wasted on a clod? given that most are bashers, and some are racers, and some others are crawlers. the clod is geared no lower than an E-maxx in first gear. the cost of twin BL/controllers is what puts 99.9% of people of a BL clod.

I'm amazed by the narrow mindedness that is prevelent here - a stock clod dont perform too well, fair enough - but its easy to get a great aftermarket chassis and good motors and have a racer that will give any maxx a run for its money. it has been out for over 15 years, so theres more aftermarket choices than any other truck, ever.

if u dont like something on ur RC change it - there seems to be a feeling here that if the hop ups arent spoon fed in direct-replacement-alu-versions-of-the-stock-parts then the truck is no good? sorry but theres far more to MT's than maxxes and savages......(I own 17 MT's with only 1 E-maxx, no T , no savage, no nitro's at all, in fact).

yes many clods are crawlers, because they excel at crawling, but that doesnt mean to say all clods are crawlers.

sorry for the rant - I'll leave it as the saying "dont knock it till you've tried it"

;)

Revival
04-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Hi Mrkinigit

Errrrh dont mind me saying, I dont think a single brushless motor can give more power than 2 brush motor......I been down to the local track where two guys were racing their tourers. One is with the Novak BL which claims to have the power of a 10T brush motor, and the other is having a Quantum Pro Sports ESC with a 11T Tamiya Modifed.......It seems to me that the Novak BL was having a real difficult time fending off the 11T Tamiya motor even on a straight.......

Hi Spoon37

Thanks for the info that there is still no Twin BL Motor ESC.......yet.

ayk_driver
04-30-2004, 04:28 PM
i drove my maxx and the sand... it was fun... but cleaning was a biotch to clean :o

Spoon37
04-30-2004, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the info that there is still no Twin BL Motor ESC.......yet.

I too am patiently waiting.....:D

;)

Bracer30
05-03-2004, 08:53 PM
i would go for nitro, its a lot easier than electric in the sence of run time and power.
why not try a new rc10gt? i have 3 of those here in miami and drive them trough mud, loose sand, rocky terreain (in a concrete yard), and (of course) grass. i love them!