PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite mailorder address for parts

dutchalltheway
05-04-2004, 02:01 PM
Hey guys,

I apologize if this question has been asked many times before, but I do appreciate it if you help me out.
I bought my first Nitro truck this weekend (RC10GT) and just love every inch of it. In june I will have the REVO coming up. I noticed that parts are way cheaper on internet than in the store, for example, I saw the same glowpug for $1.10 cheaper than in my LHS. I plan to stock up on parts and such, but I want to make sure I deal with a reliable vendor. I'm sure most of them are good, but I really would like to have you guys's input please, so let me know where YOU prefer to buy your parts.

As always guys..thank you so much!!

shadmaster4
05-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Towerhobies, Southeastrc, sheldons hobbies, and stormer hobbies are awsome.!

rccardude04
05-04-2004, 06:13 PM
But, you have to pay shipping on most of the mail order stuff, and they can not and will not help you in the way a hobby store can. Also, with the shop, you get your stuff when you want it. You don't have to wait.
Just because it's cheaper doesn't mean it's a better deal.
-Eric

lerningdriver
05-04-2004, 06:18 PM
towerhobbies, 4 bux shipping on parts, gets here in 2 days tops.

most other online stores will be just fine.

this is also a great store:
http://www.rcboyz.com/index.php

nicholcgn
05-04-2004, 10:15 PM
Tower hobbies is great. But you really need to search based on your car and parts. It seems many different sites have an area where they are cheaper. You have to be careful but I always talk to my LHS. Some owners will match or come close to an online store. I usually try to buy local if I can get prices within 10% or if it is just a several dollar item. If you race you need to support the LHS when you can. LHS usually help support and attract new racers to tracks.

KartMan
09-28-2004, 10:14 AM
I have found that SoutheastRC.com has the best prices, and they only charge a flat $6.95 for UPS shipping. You will easily absorb the shipping charges into their great pricing. Also, these people are very helpful on the phone, and will answer any questions.

kitty
09-28-2004, 05:35 PM
HobbieguyRC on eBay or his web site. UltimateHobbies.com. Tower Hobbies. The list goes on.

rccardude04, either you work at a hobby shop or you are lucky enough to have a LHS that sells parts you need. The HS closest to me said that they were going to start selling the HPI Savage and every replacement part for it. They've sold a few, in spite of guys working there pushing the T-Maxx as though they were trying to dump off a box full of diseased animals, yet their HPI section has not grown one bit - not even something as simple as a common 49t spur gear. They do, however, have a long wall full of Traxxas parts that goes from the very top of my reach (I'm 5'9") to the floor and two locked showcases full of hop-ups for the Maxx. When I went in looking for M3x15mm machine thread black oxide cap head screws, they did not have any. They were more than happy to point out a package of cheesy, easily-bent Traxxas 3x12mm button head screws.

At least online, I can find what I am looking for and not have to deal with some twit trying to sell me an apple when I'm looking for an orange.

TRF Drive Hard
09-28-2004, 07:01 PM
At least online, I can find what I am looking for and not have to deal with some twit trying to sell me an apple when I'm looking for an orange.

I have seedless bananas for sale? interested? :D

Jetskiboy77
09-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Thats why I like online better. The people at the HS are always telling me whats "better" which translates into more expensive. Also they talk down to me cause Im a kid so I dont like giving them business.

thedominator
09-28-2004, 08:49 PM
I like online way better than my lhs. My lhs rarely if ever has all the parts i need plus you can get way better prices online. After discounts, i got my revo from tower for 412 dollars. If I bought it at my lhs it would have cost 480 plus roughly 30 dollars tax. thats a hundred dollar difference :eek: The only stuff i buy from my lhs is glow plugs, paint, and nitro fuel. Everything else i get from either tower or stormer

xchief1320
09-29-2004, 01:16 PM
www.thercshack.com has very good prices and great service with super fast shipping..They don't have as much as Tower or the other big places,but i buy from there every chance i get..
Customer service says alot to me..

Steve

atm92484_3
09-29-2004, 02:38 PM
I like online way better than my lhs. My lhs rarely if ever has all the parts i need plus you can get way better prices online. After discounts, i got my revo from tower for 412 dollars. If I bought it at my lhs it would have cost 480 plus roughly 30 dollars tax. thats a hundred dollar difference :eek: The only stuff i buy from my lhs is glow plugs, paint, and nitro fuel. Everything else i get from either tower or stormer

Not to pick on you, but thats horseshit that Tower can sell cars at that price. Its 100% impossible for hobby shops to match that considering that is below cost; theres no reason for them to even bother competing.

Yes I understand that there are "bad" LHS's, but how can a good LHS form if customers immediately jump on the "buy online" bandwagon to save a few bucks?

Jeckler
09-29-2004, 05:02 PM
I have found that SoutheastRC.com has the best prices, and they only charge a flat $6.95 for UPS shipping. You will easily absorb the shipping charges into their great pricing. Also, these people are very helpful on the phone, and will answer any questions.

Wow, I went and checked it out. The radio I ordered from Tower was $6 less at Southeast (Hitec Laser 6). The servo was $2 less (HS-645MG). That's pretty good. One thing I like about Tower is the occasional bone they throw you in the form of ad numbers. I also like the fact that I am *1* day away from the Reno dist. center, so if I order first thing in the morning, I usually get my package the next day, even with standard shipping.
However, if I ever need something Tower doesn't have (*cough*Losi*cough*), I'll definately check out Southeast.

Wow, does that sounds like the lamest commercial ever?

MT Dude
09-30-2004, 11:12 AM
I like shopping at my LHS (HobbytownUSA) whenever i can because they are nice, knowledgeable, and they do not force their opinion on mine when i shop there. They usually only offer suggestions if i ask which is good for me seeing that ive been in this hobby long enough to know what im doin. The only time i use tower or stormer, is when HobbyTown simply doesnt have what im lookin for. But i totally agree with nicholcgn in that you do need to support your LHS because you gotta realize, if it wasnt for them, how would you have found out about r/c in the first place? and how would you have gotten in the hobby?

I know those questions do not apply to everyone but i know there are many who they do. Just sumthin' to think about.

-Chris

kitty
10-01-2004, 03:16 AM
I went to one LHS on Wednesday. I needed a few screws and a header gasket.

Me: "I'm looking for an M3 by 15 cap head screw and a header gasket for a .21 size engine"
Employee: "What is M3?" (takes screw from my hand) "That's really fine thread on there! What is a twenty-one size engine?"

He went to ask the store owner about the screw. The store owner is only into planes, but knows what the heck a M3x15 screw is. They didn't have any, but they had M3x18. I already have some of those so I'll just cut one down.

Did they have an exhaust gasket? Yes, a few packs of GS Racing ones, which seem a bit too soft to me and I've heard that they don't last very long. The store will sell you an OS engine, but they can't supply a header gasket for one.

FifthScaleRacer
10-01-2004, 03:34 AM
But, you have to pay shipping on most of the mail order stuff, and they can not and will not help you in the way a hobby store can. Also, with the shop, you get your stuff when you want it. You don't have to wait.
Just because it's cheaper doesn't mean it's a better deal.
-Eric

I bet you own or work for a hobby shop.

A hobby shop staffed by experts ia very rare. 90% of the time, I know more than the hobby shop worker.

The only 2 scenarios where a hobby shop is better than an online shop is a track side hobby shop (so when you are racing, you can get needed supplies in an instant), and when a newbie needs to buy a car.

Other than that, the online hobby shop prevails. With USPS Priority mail shipping, you can get your parts in 3 days or less. That's perfect.

FifthScaleRacer
10-01-2004, 03:36 AM
But i totally agree with nicholcgn in that you do need to support your LHS because you gotta realize, if it wasnt for them, how would you have found out about r/c in the first place? and how would you have gotten in the hobby?

-Chris

Most people find out about the RC hobby by going to the RC track or seeing another person with an RC. The hobby shop has nothing to do with it...unless it's a combo rc shop/track.

DualBL
10-01-2004, 04:07 AM
am i the only one that has a LHS that has parts cheaper than tower, or any other online store for that matter?
the LHS that i used to go to, the guy was into planes, but also knew a little bit about cars. wasn't the greatest help..
but point is, he could order me parts, and i'd have em in 2 days if needed, but the main reason i went through them, was they priced CHEAP.
if a part was $10 on tower, he could get it for me for $8.
and when i'd go in needing something small like a servo horn, he'd just give me one w/ out charge.. always joking "i'll just put it on your tab"
that's why I prefered LHS over online. but it sounds like none of you guys have LHS's like that =\
-Nick

shadmaster4
10-03-2004, 08:59 AM
I hate my LHS, if tower has it for $10, they will sell it to me for $18! I mean, they are hugh rip-offs... Like $7 for (1), i repeat (1), 5x11 bearing...

cianhanrahan
10-03-2004, 09:20 AM
Same here, LHS guys either don't have, won't get it, or don't know about it. that and it always costs more. As a result LHS's all over ireland are shutting down as cheaper online sales a cripppling them. The downside being that many of the clubs are shutting down a well, through a lack of support.

maxxamillion
10-03-2004, 12:06 PM
The LHS just can't compete with the online outlets. I make my big purchases(1-800 #'s only) from Tower, Stormer or Nitrohouse and get the detail stuff from my lhs.
My lhs was selling the HPI MT2 for $360 + tax(roughly 10%)=$396apprx. I couldn't pay that much. So I got one from Tower for $307 delivered to my door...Sweet.
I have one lhs which will order anything, get it in quick & call me promptly and another that never orders it to start with or puts it on the shelf to be bought by the first buyer to come along. You(lhs) don't neccessarily have to be knowledgeable, but professional with your store stocked with the essentials.
Heck, I can't even depend on the same fuel being stocked regularly(switch back & forth from sport & race formula). And so on.
If a LHS goes out of business, its their own fault.
Right now Nitrohouse is the bomb, as my Blazer SST will be in by Weds!!!

cepwin
10-03-2004, 02:29 PM
I've been following this discussion with interest as I'm planning on buying my first car within a month (I have 5 lab reports, a midterm and a final to deal with before I let myself buy it.) I want to buy from my LHS being a newbie but we'll have to see how they do re tower. Tower can get me out the door with the kit I want and everything I'm going to need for less than $400 and I'm not sure if the LHS can come close (they were directing me towards an RTR out the door for about $400 out the door with everything.) I mean, I'll pay an extra $10 or maybe even $20 to buy locally but I'm not willing to pay an extra $50 or $100.

Cain
10-04-2004, 01:25 PM
I personally like www.greatlakeshobbies.com , there website can be a pain to traverse, but if you are looking for rare parts or parts in general, there are deals to be had there. There prices for tires are also pretty good.

As for buying from you LHS, it really depends on what they sell, how good the shop is, and what my needs are. I usually buy kits online as its just cheaper for me. But for parts and stuff i try and go LHS.

The Modfather
10-04-2004, 02:45 PM
Tower Hobbies.

/thread

highroller
10-06-2004, 02:39 AM
I compare prices between Tower, Stormer and R & L Hobbies each may have the same item but one may be cheaper than the other. For specialized items I may buy direct Irrgang Racing, Raceway Mfg etc or the other small rc sites like RC4Less, Big Dog RC, JPH Hobbies - these sites either specialize in oval racing, offroad or TC or I can get bulk brushes, springs things I use the most at good prices. I still rely on the LHS if prices is within range of the other places or it is needed right away.

jdm3849
10-06-2004, 05:51 PM
Tower Hobbies, Ebay.

Piggy89373
10-07-2004, 09:00 AM
Ok, have to give Dave his plug.

For your GT needs. Beat your friends. Buy the hop ups/mods for your GT to get that new girlfriend you've always dreamed of. Shop at Dave Crescenzi's. (http://www.rc10gthobby.com/)
All kidding aside, Dave Crescenzi has it going on for the GT. If you own a GT, I'd definitely check out his site. His shipping is reliable and fast.

KTRTS
10-07-2004, 09:06 AM
I use Apex (http://www.apexmodels.com) and Ebay UK. I would buy from Tower (so much cheaper) more often but:
a) They don't sell schumacher parts
b) shipping etc charges are so high, unless I buy something very expensive (like that's going to happen on my budget :D) it's cheaper to buy from the UK
c) knowing my luck i something will be faulty then I'll have to send it all the way back...

:(