PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum body shocks leaking... Help please?

johnsland8
05-08-2004, 01:55 AM
I just bought a set of the Team Blue Star aluminum body shocks and after about 20 minutes of running 3 of the 4 shocks emptied themselves by leaking oil through what appears to be a vent?? hole in the top of each shock. I am not sure why that hole needs to be there? Has anyone had an experience with this problem? What would be the solution?

Thanks for your help... :confused:

bigmike216
05-08-2004, 03:21 AM
erm, maybe theese shocks are supposed to use bladders?

johnsland8
05-08-2004, 04:59 AM
Uh, Ya!! They all use bladders... and? Is that the problem? They are all brand new and appear to be in good condition? Is the hole necessary? Could I plug it?

bigmike216
05-08-2004, 02:52 PM
well if you've got bladders in there, i dont see how shock fluid could be leaking out a hole in the cap.. the bladder should seal that off.

johnsland8
05-08-2004, 03:18 PM
OK, now that we're clear on what the problem is does anyone have a suggestion for a solution? Or why it might be happening?

Thanks...

guver
05-08-2004, 03:20 PM
I just pulled apart my first shock yesterday and it seems that the bladder must be vented above it. If oil is coming out the oil is getting passed the bladder?

johnsland8
05-08-2004, 09:15 PM
Well, the mystery is solved but it's still not good. Upon closer inspection, all of the brand new bladders had little tiny pin holes in the centers of them allowing oil to get past them and out the vent hole. I bought some GS silicon bladders and replaced them all. They lasted about 30 min. before I apparently blew out both rear ones again. The front shocks have held up but both rear shocks have once again emptied themselves of oil thru the vent. Am I doing something wrong or is this just a bad shock design?

lerningdriver
05-09-2004, 01:11 AM
what wt oil are you using?

johnsland8
05-09-2004, 03:13 AM
what wt oil are you using?

They were sent with 45 wt oil in all four. I switched to 40 wt in the rear and 30 wt in the front.

rccardude04
05-09-2004, 04:24 AM
I'm going to guess that you're probably over filling the shocks. Try filling the shock with the oil, placing the bladder on top of the shock body, then pulling down on the shaft so that the bladder is held in place by the suction in the body. Then thread the cap on finger tight. Don't go overboard on the tightening.
Hopefully that helps.
-Eric