PDA

View Full Version : Tire and wheel size

jetbullet
05-10-2004, 07:04 AM
Hi everyone,

I have a dilema and i hope you gays/gals can help me. I have seen that alot of ppl are running 24mm tires and wheels in races. I have 26mm wheels/tires on my car. I havnt raced yet but which one is the best to go?

I will be racing in 19T class. i have replaced both Diffs on my hpi for one way front and graphite rear diff. I don't know the effect of the 2 sizes of wheels/tires. I have searched on this matter but could find what i am looking for...

Revival
05-10-2004, 10:01 AM
Hi jetbullet

First of all, you need to know if the 24mm or 26mm tires can be used in the class that you are competiting. It will also be good to know if brands and classes of tires as well and is there handouts involved.

Why you have not found any information is because there is no exact formulation as to which tire is the best as there are so many factors surrounding this question......Normally 24mm is used for electric while 26mm is used for gas. This is because 24mm gives less drag (less traction as tires are narrow) means faster accelaration and top speed but depending on the motor type, setup, and track, your chassis could be slipping and sliding due to insufficient traction..........26mm on the other hand gives more drag (more traction as tires are wide), and as mentioned before it may or may not be a good thing.

At the end you have to run your car to find the best tire size that suits your setup, driving style, and track conditions.

jetbullet
05-10-2004, 10:55 AM
Hi jetbullet

First of all, you need to know if the 24mm or 26mm tires can be used in the class that you are competiting. It will also be good to know if brands and classes of tires as well and is there handouts involved.

Why you have not found any information is because there is no exact formulation as to which tire is the best as there are so many factors surrounding this question......Normally 24mm is used for electric while 26mm is used for gas. This is because 24mm gives less drag (less traction as tires are narrow) means faster accelaration and top speed but depending on the motor type, setup, and track, your chassis could be slipping and sliding due to insufficient traction..........26mm on the other hand gives more drag (more traction as tires are wide), and as mentioned before it may or may not be a good thing.

At the end you have to run your car to find the best tire size that suits your setup, driving style, and track conditions.

Hi there Revival,
I really apreciate your reply. I think its going to be a trail and error thing. I will purchase the 2 sizes and test them.
Thanks again :D

Revival
05-10-2004, 02:09 PM
No problems......I may not be the best person to advice you on this topic as there are more experienced racers here.

It may be good to look at reinforced tyres. Next will be the heat range of the tyre and you have to gauge it to your weather condition and the likely time of the day you are going to run.

Tyre inserts are equally important so you have to look this items as well.