PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Questions

bongmaster
05-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Hello all, I'm new to RC and just have some general questions:

1) Batteries
I have 4 3000mah battery packs and a MRC Super Brain 819. Will this charger properly charge the 3000mah batteries I have? The reason I ask is because after a fast charge I get very short run times and not much power:

http://www.modelrec.com/products/batteryChargers/product.asp?ID=1322&Subcategory=Battery%20Charger

2) What are the best batteries you can get for the Rustler? I got mine at batteryspace.com for very cheap, maybe not a good idea?

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=215&HS=1

3) Does anyone know where a good track to race at might be found in the Philadelphia area? I'm just getting into it and would like to find a local track.

Thanks!

bongmaster
05-10-2004, 02:54 PM
As long as I'm asking questions I might as well list them all!

I'm looking on eBay right now for a great deal on a gas powered truck. Ideally I'd like something ready to run that includes everything I need except maybe gas. The Traxxas T-Maxx looks like a decent buy but I see lots of others in there. What's a good truck comparable to the T-Maxx? I plan to spend around $300-$350 for everything.

josh222
05-10-2004, 03:49 PM
I can't help with the batteries, i am a Nitro guy. As for the nitro part the Savage 25 RTR is a comparible truck. T-maxx is fast but the Savage is a Beast :D If you want a truck go for what your LHS has parts for. T-Maxx or Savage you can't go wrong

bongmaster
05-10-2004, 05:04 PM
Thanks Josh, much appreciated. The local Action Hobbies has lots of Traxxas parts. I see quite a few Savage offerings on eBay, many under $400.

*Miller*
05-10-2004, 05:50 PM
I have several friends with Savages - they rate them very, very highly. Some of these friends have also ran T Maxxes, and while the T Maxx is a good truck, they would all choose the Savage if they could.

As for 'Best batteries for the Rustler' to a point, it doesnt really matter what batteries you use for a particular car. If it performs well enough to your liking on your current batteries, just stick with them. If you want to race it might well be different, you can start getting very pricey batteries, something I cant help with as I dont race lol

Pacoson
05-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Stay away from Battery space and most other NONAME brand batteries!

My experience with batteryspace is my (60)1700Mah AA cells and (3) 5 cell 2/3A1100Mah I bought.
I can charge them till they are warm 1.5amp for aprox 40min.
OVERNIGHT these cells lose more than 1/2 the charge by themself!
I would have lost my 1/8th scale had I not tried to peak them right befor I went out.
I own a T-Maxx and hate the motor that came with it. Love the rest of it though.

Spoon37
05-11-2004, 06:20 AM
have you cycled the batts a few times? i.e. charged up and run them? most batts dont do amazingly on their first charge, especially if they ahve been stored for a long time(you never know how long they have been stored without cycling when you buy them...). to be fair this is more a sympton of NiCD batts but the same general rules apply.....

also cheap batts are just that - dont expect stellar performance if you buy cheapos. make sure you buy from a reputable brand, the only cheapo batts that seem worth their salt are GP batteries(they make batts like sanyo or panasonic where most companies just buy from one of those companies and assemble the packs for sale). with all electronics you get what you pay for, so expensive batts perform well, cheapos are good for bashing but dont expect good runtime or power, and most cant even handle good mod motors.

the best batts for the rustler? last ic hecked the rustle took 6 cells like almost everything else does, so any high quality pack would do. look for matched cells and the highest capcity you can afford - one company(sanyo I think?) recenly announced 3600NiMH's but I havent seen any 3600mah packs yet......

;)

bongmaster
05-11-2004, 09:30 AM
Thanks guys!