PDA

View Full Version : Nitro or Electric cheaper...

clickx
05-11-2004, 12:34 AM
I have an old electric traxxas stampede, and im getting back in RC cars. But nitro or electric. I actually nitro is cheaper. Cause if u get and electric and u dont have batteries yet, u would want to get like 3 3300 mah NiMh. So thats like what 90 bucks. And a good charger. Thats like 50 bucks.
So if u look at.
EX)Team Associated TC3 Electric RTR for around 210 online. Then plus 90 for batteries and 50 for charger.
EX2)Team Associated TC3 Nitro RTR for around 285 online. Then gas for
10-15 bux.
And the nitro is faster, right. So just say im just starting RC even though i have an electric car, i need new charger and batteries. So nitro would be overall cheaper?

trw
05-11-2004, 12:49 AM
well on electric...u only have to pay for it once...when u have a nitro...with it costing nearly $20.00 a gallon of fuel...it wont take long to catch up to the price it cost u for a battery and charger..and btw i only use 1 3300mAh battery and i get in all my runs.

and my charger is only $30.00 with a custom cooling fan i put on it...and it works as well as others

and electric can easily be as fast as Nitro...just nitro has speed out of the box. But the down side is no loud sound but the upside to that is nighttime driving.

clickx
05-11-2004, 12:56 AM
what turn motor do u use, and how long do 3300 mah NiMh batteries last like run time. Like just driving around on the street drifting and some straight aways.
cause as i mentioned i have an eletric with those old NiCd 1500 mAH and they last like crap. LOL
I really want to be able to drive around with my friends and actually get drive time in and not be charging a battery every 5 mins.
And how long usually does a full tank of nitro last. Would i be spending like 40 bucks on nitro a month if i drove it like 20 mins a day?

trw
05-11-2004, 01:28 AM
i have no idea on how long a tank lasts...i have never owned one before but a friend of mine has one.

I usually get about est. 25 minutes of runtime with a 19-turn. but that only goes bout 30-33 mph...now my 10-turn i havent evne ran that yet...cause im still waiting for it lol....but that will push me to est. 38-45 mph in there somwhere....runtime ill have to see when i get it.

but a 3300 battery is good cause by the time it runs out the car needs to cool off lol...but if you look at new technology thats coming out for batteries. Example...the battery made by i forgot...takes 30 seconds to charge and last longer then a 3300 battery..for bout the same price, the're still expirementing with that.

clickx
05-11-2004, 01:49 AM
K thanks alot. I guess ill go with Team Associated TC3 RTR or the Team Losi XXX-S RTR.
What chargers would u recommend? Where did u get yours? How long does it take to charge the 3300 mah completly?
What 3300 mah batteries are good but like under 40-50 bucks
Thanks in advance

Polk
05-11-2004, 03:28 AM
Well, either one will be expensive no matter what you do. It just 'will be'. With nitro though you can go for hours without having to stop, although with electric everything is just a whole lot easier.

Boxxer
05-11-2004, 04:14 AM
what turn motor do u use, and how long do 3300 mah NiMh batteries last like run time. Like just driving around on the street drifting and some straight aways.
cause as i mentioned i have an eletric with those old NiCd 1500 mAH and they last like crap. LOL
I really want to be able to drive around with my friends and actually get drive time in and not be charging a battery every 5 mins.
And how long usually does a full tank of nitro last. Would i be spending like 40 bucks on nitro a month if i drove it like 20 mins a day?

Probably.

It depends on the size of engine.. .12 uses alot less fuel than a .26 and also on the driving style... if youre running as fast as possible(track contitions) youll eat up alot of fuel. 20 is on the cheap side per gallon as well. 25 to 30 per gallon for the good stuff.

Driving 20 mins a day seems like alot, but i guess thats about equal to a good session at a track(2 hours is even alot). I usually end up using more than a half gallon. (have a kanai 3, 710 and savage... so they all run through fuel pretty fast)

gizmoguy303
05-11-2004, 08:19 AM
Even though I'm an electric guy, I'd have to vote for nitro if you are bashing. It's just more exciting - and you can run longer. Runtime = fun when you're bashing, since there is no track to tune your car for and no race to prepare for. It's all about driving your car. For racing, however, electric is definitely the way to go. You can concentrate on driving rather than tuning/starting the engine. Hope this helps you with your decision.

Got Speed
05-11-2004, 06:29 PM
If you are bashing electric is cheaper because you don't need all the best stuff. With Nitro you the total cost will be more because you have to keep buying things like fuel. For racing neither will cost more. With electric you will end up spending about the same for the kit $200 for a charger $150 for an esc $120 for some batterys and yes you do need to keep paying for things like getting it turned and replacing the brushes. With nitro you have to spend $150 for a good engine and $40 for a good throttle brake servo, and $25 for a gallon of fuel, $15 for a receiver battery. Depending one what you get the price can vary alot but overall the price for racing nitro and electric won't be much different.

Wizardman_1
05-11-2004, 09:32 PM
My evader bx on an epic 3000 pack outlasts my friends 75cc fuel tank. I'm using a team orion rush 21x2 at max. timing, runtime about 25mins and my friends truck barely beats mine by 1.5 car lengths. The packs were only $18 and peak at around 3300. I use a piranha digital charger, in my opinion it is the best, cheapest digital charger out there. Oh and people using nitro take so long just to start running the car, electric you only have to flip a switch.

clickx
05-11-2004, 10:11 PM
the piranha only does 3 amps on AC :(

Got Speed
05-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Wizardman 1- If it takes you so long then your not doing something right. Granted, nitro can be more frustrating but if you know what you are doing and take care of you stuff it will be just as trouble free as electric though it takes a little more work to get it that trouble free. As far as run time your battery may outlast my tank of fuel but all I have to do is pull it off the track, put some fuel in it, and keep going. Also depending on the nitro you have in mind in may be slower or faster. Obviously a monster truck can't keep up with a mod elec. truck but an 1/8 buggy easily could.

Crusher 1
05-11-2004, 11:13 PM
My evader bx on an epic 3000 pack outlasts my friends 75cc fuel tank. I'm using a team orion rush 21x2 at max. timing, runtime about 25mins and my friends truck barely beats mine by 1.5 car lengths. The packs were only $18 and peak at around 3300. I use a piranha digital charger, in my opinion it is the best, cheapest digital charger out there. Oh and people using nitro take so long just to start running the car, electric you only have to flip a switch.

How about setting up a one hour main ,Your Evader against my Terra Crusher
First one to the finish wins the others car... :eek: :D

R3VoLuTiOn
05-12-2004, 12:29 AM
the piranha digital works great for me, 3 amps at AC is fine for me since i have multiple packs, but if you wanted like me, i bought a 12v rechargabe batt and i can full charge a 3300pack in about 40 mins.

trw
05-12-2004, 03:08 AM
I bought the superbrain 959 charger..which is now down to $30.00...added a custom mounted cooling fan, and it chargers pefectly at 4.5 amps...takes about 25-30 minutes to fullycharger a 2 year old radioshack 3000 mAh battery...less to charge my GP3300s that last longer.

MikeWz
05-12-2004, 08:14 AM
I think they both come out about even actually. If you think about it, batteries are like at least $50 for a good set plus a super brain charger (which isn't too good, tends to overheat) for $50. Then if you get something like the TC3 for $200. You're at $300. If you get the Nitro TC3 it's $280 plus $20 for gas. Bingo, you're set.

If you go nitro keep in mind that you're buying more than one gallon of fuel though. However, for electric you're gonna want more than one battery. At least two, so now you're at $100. And on top of that, if you go mod class you're going to need a lathe and brushes every like 3-10 runs. You'll also need to true you're com every few runs

trw
05-12-2004, 08:52 AM
sorry, yes the superbrain is back to $50.00, last time i saw they had $30.00 on on it :confused:

but if u mount a cooling fan on it, it wont overheat.

and also u left out on the nitro, u also gotta buy the glow plug igniter.

MikeWz
05-12-2004, 10:52 AM
Aye, there are accesories you need for both that I left out. My point was that they come out pretty much even in the long run. You need batteries for electric and you need fuel for Nitro. Both cost about the same to get started up and to maintain

REVOman
05-13-2004, 12:58 AM
heh, nitro vs. electric, ive heard the battle between the 2 for yrs, lol. i ran electric for my first 3 moddles ( 1st: Tamia Blackfoot [10th b-day], 2nd: Kyosho Ultima ST, 3rd: Traxxas Rustler) put mods in all of em, ram em all till they were dead (Batteries, motors, esc's). Im doin Nitro now, started with T-MAXX, and now im getting the REVO (oooo baby baby, hehe), got my fiance into the hobby, she gettin the HPI Savage 25, and overall even with the cost of fuel used, ive put less money into Nitro then i have my electrics, true there's the engine maintance to keep em runnin good, but hell its worth it to be able to climb massive hills with power, intead of watching the electric struggle to crawl up, dont get me wrong, electrics are good on those days when u just wanna run something, lol, each has there good/bad areas, but overall, im stayin Nitro till i have kids, then ill hit electrics again to get them started in the hobby (electric motor cheaper to replace than a Nitro engine when the kids try to whipe out the neighbors mailboxes, lol) :)

trw
05-13-2004, 01:09 AM
struggle? lol put a 19-turn in a Pajero...gear it low...believe me..it wont struggle.

REVOman
05-13-2004, 01:24 AM
lol, true, but then changin back to a setup to run good flats, etc, i just like the nitro for a good all around runner :P

Crusher 1
05-13-2004, 10:50 AM
;) From every article I have seen Nitro vs Electric, they are about the same as far as getting in and even racing them.
I have both so I have experience. :) :D

clickx
05-13-2004, 06:47 PM
yeah im aware of like motors but for nitro im really just concerned about fuel costs. Like just trying to figure how much i would probably spend in a month.
some1 posted before that in two hours he used bout a half a gallon. So i guess if i ran 20 mins a day, that is 6 days of running 20 mins a day. 6x20 mins is 2 hours. So in six days i woudl use half a gallon of fuel? So in a month 30 divided by 6 = 5. So thats 2 and half gallons a month. Which is like 45 bucks in fuel a month?
Does the sound way to crazy?

Got Speed
05-13-2004, 08:38 PM
20 minutes a day!? I run through about a quart of fuel on a race day. About 8 tanks total. I race twice a month. So I go through a gallon in 2 months. If you raced/bashed that much every weekend that would be a gallon a month. I have an 1/8 buggy too so I run through a gallon more frequently but if you are going to run every day that will be very expensive.

Got Speed
05-13-2004, 08:39 PM
At that rate if you keep it tuned well you would also need to rebuild your engine every 2-3 months. New tires every month or more too.

MikeWz
05-13-2004, 11:35 PM
Aye, keep in mind that if you get an electric, chances are you will want a mod motor. The stock motor will push your car to about 18-20mph. Pretty effin slow. If you run a Mod motor you will need to change the brushes ever 3-10 runs. That will cost you about $15 a week if you plan on driving as much as you stated above.

I personally go through about a gallon a month and that's between my Monster Truck and my Stadium racer. You really don't go through all that much

trw
05-14-2004, 01:51 AM
no...depending on the motor he uses, he may only need to replace em once a week if he runs 20 minutes a day..which is like $7.00, less on some.

I know im going atleast 30mph with my 19-turn and that last for about 15 runs, i push it even more then that and it runs fine.

(Bought that 10-turn for racing an showing off)

or he can take the plunge for a BL system, LOL that runs bout $250.00 - $300.00 + most of that is for the specail ESC a BL motor uses.

if you dont know what that is: a BL(brushless) motor, is a motor without a comm or brushes, needs no maintainence whatsoever. Depending on which system u get, they have BL systems faster then any brushed motor on this planet. Last for the lifetime of your car and more, no maintainence at all. plug it up and go.

prices for BLs are sky high, but thats why im waiting for the price to come down till i get one..since BLs are just now becoming popular, and with the new Lithium batteries out and the 30 sec charge battereis, electrics WILL not maybe but WILL be able to run hour long mains with nitros, just like nitros need to re-fuel...electrics and can switch out batteries.

cant wait till i get a BL in my TC3, with some 30 sec-charge batteries :D

wasnt it a TC3, with a BL motor and a 16-cell battery that hit the RC world speed record? (111mph) im pretty sure it was.

rocknbil
05-14-2004, 12:37 PM
Every time this Q comes up it seem like everyone overlooks a very important fact: If someone is asking "which is cheaper?" They probably want to get into it at the financial bottom end.

Although it's been argued (ad nauseum) that you can spend as much or more on electric setups as you can on nitro, especially if you plan to race, you cannot get started on a bare minimum as cheaply and with as short a learning curve as electric. Arguing the finer points of battery quantity and type versus monthly fuel consumption or cost of maintenance does not alter this fact.

Minimum investment to get started always has been and is likely to remain electric.

hooked911
05-20-2004, 05:51 PM
I think the inital cost of electric is higher... But the overall cost of electric is cheaper in the long run. Example, i have batteries that are 3 years old that i got used for 20 dollars a pack that still cycle out at 6.968 discharge at 20 amps. I also ran nitro at one time, and the biggest killer for nitro was tuning the motor. I must really suck at it cause i went thru motor after motor. Os cvx, ect. pretty decent motors. The longest i ever got a motor to last was 1.5 gal of fuel. and that was with a 200 dollar motor. 200 dollars will get you some pretty good packs and a decent charger.....

nicholcgn
05-20-2004, 06:30 PM
If I was just going to race I would go to my local tracks and see what most people are racing. If there is no class being cheaper is no fun if you can not race. If I was just bashing I would probably go Nitro. While I have an electric and a brushless for bashing I think you would see a big advantage in nitro for bashing (Assuking you can learn to tune and not tear up engines.). I enjoy racing my electric and I wanted something I could run in my neighborhood and not cause any grief with my neighbors. Price wise I believe nitro will cost more per month based on the people at our track. But depending on how fast you need to go will vary the cost. Speed usuially cost you more parts and fuel (Same for Electric). I have seen a difference in price from what people report of $20 per month. Mostly I believe because I have a brushless and less motor maintenance. But I run the Dog snot out of mine all of the time. People think that is a lot per month but hey pack a sandwich a couple of times per month and save the McDonalds money. Skip 1 coke per day. Bottom line - Do some research and talk with people locally. If you don't get something you can have fun with then it is all wasted money and then would seem expensicve no matter what.

rocknbil
05-20-2004, 10:12 PM
I think the inital cost of electric is higher...

No way! Remember, if you're looking for the cheapest way in to something of quality. It's already been proven you can spend as much or more if you're racing, no argument there.

Look at some off the shelf comparisons, and you can save even more by shopping around for your accessories:

TC3 RTR Electric (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAHH0&P=0) $229.99

VS.

TC3 RTR Nitro (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCES1&P=0) $289.99

T4 Electric RTR (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFSL5&P=0) $249

VS.
GT RTR (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCLU0&P=0) $289

Emaxx Electric RTR (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVS28**&P=0) 319.99

VS

T-Maxx Nitro RTR (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXPW87**&P=0) $369.99

Rustler Electric full RTR (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVK74**&P=0) $154.99

VS

Nitro Rustler RTR (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJG49**&P=0) $299.99

Gyro Gearloose
05-20-2004, 10:20 PM
I think if you're bashing and just want to have lots of cheap fun, go electric. If you're racing, electric starts to outpace nitro in cash spent fairly quickly.

trw
05-20-2004, 11:33 PM
hows that so? all u need is a nice motor (if ur ESC will handle it) good gearing and a nice battery, and DECENT charger. u only pay for that stuff ONCE.

Got Speed
05-21-2004, 12:19 PM
rocknbil- That's what I posted a page or so ago. For playing around where the best stuff dosn't matter electric is cheaper. For racing with the best stuff neither Nitro or Electric is really more.

hooked911- Most engines if tuned right should last for 7 or 8 gallons.

trw- I think he is talking about all the maitanence you have to do on an electric motor for racing. I know most guys at my track rebuild their motors every race.

sedanaddict
05-21-2004, 12:37 PM
if you divide the money spent by the amount of wheel time, nitro is much cheaper. you can drive all day with short breaks to refuel and recharge reciever packs. with electric you would have to spend hundreds to get enough packs to run back to back not to mention multiple chargers and money to rebuild motors.

trw
05-21-2004, 04:29 PM
rebuilding a motor is taking it apart and cleaning it out then putting it back together, in some cases replacing brushes if you have run it enough.

obviously most of you havent been keeping up with battery technology.

look at the batteries still under development that only take 30 seconds to charge and cost no more then a regular battery, and last longer.
that will keep ya running back to back.

also look at the lithium batteries, last 45 min to an hour on one charge. (depending on what mAh you buy)

lol a lil heads up there. We still have a long ways to go on that technology to, its not even close to beeing perfected yet.

Spoon37
05-21-2004, 06:30 PM
...but hell its worth it to be able to climb massive hills with power, intead of watching the electric struggle to crawl up,...

hehehe have you even driven an electric 4wd? I have wild daggers that could tow your nitros uphill faster.....:p well probably...lol

my question is seeing as you have an electric, whats wrong with running that pede? a good charger and batts and maybe a mild mod can(17t-19t) and your all set....

but yeah if you were buying a new car then the cost works out about the same. I've often seen in race oriented magazines that for racing purposes something like 1:8th buggies are cheaper per years racing than 1:10 electric sedans...but just for bashing it would prolly be about the same....(you wouldnt be using things up so fast so the cost of tyres, fuel etc would be lower)

;)

Got Speed
05-22-2004, 01:58 PM
How did the topic go from what is cheaper to what is better? It's pretty simple. For the cheapest bashing electric is the way to go. For racing they are about the same in cost.

Gyro Gearloose
05-24-2004, 05:18 AM
I think he is talking about all the maitanence you have to do on an electric motor for racing. I know most guys at my track rebuild their motors every race.

This has nothing to do with the opening post, I was making a statement about racing.

Yes, lets see now..... motor tools: brush tools, motor dyno, comm lathe. Multiple batt packs along with a serious dang charger/discharger, for starters, and a nice power supply to run all those cool toys. And a motor case to hold a dozen favorite cans and arms!(That get rebuilt every run with new brushes, how many times can you 'clean up' the comm before you need another?)
Don't say "no", because I've been there and seen it.

I need a race engine with a ready to bolt in backup with a clutch bolted on already, my charger/startbox/glow starter/fuel.

Both nitro and electric racers can have a big rubbermaid bin full of tires, various fluids and spare parts.

Racing isn't cheap, and I'm not complaining at all, but I can't afford to seriously race electric like most all the guys at my track.

Bishop
05-24-2004, 10:09 AM
I think it's really hard to even start to compare the two...

For very base level racing, cost wise, is a no brainer, electric is cheap and easy, I did it as a kid and it's really basic stuff, kind of why I loved it, but it's no where near that simple.

Stock or entry level type electric racing "is" cheap, but it's very hard to compare to entry level Nitro racing.
Entry level electric cars just don't pull the sort of speeds a basic stock Nitro car can, but then you don't have to be a wiz with engines either, and electric cars are easier on tyres and ongoing costs in general, but really it's a whole different experience.

Move up the chain a bit though, and it starts to get a lot more complicated, sure electric cars can start to make the sort of speeds of some Nitros, but costs start to rise very quickly when you do.
Somewhere in the middle of this comparison, I believe costs start to even out somewhat, with Nitro perhaps becoming a little cheaper while running at the same sorts of speeds and operating times, but then there is probably not a lot in it.

But then of course the Nitros go on to max out in terms of costs at the top end, but then it's also at that sort of level that I don't think electric cars can keep up, but I'm not to sure cause I just don't follow any form of top level electric racing anymore...

I try hard to not compare the two really, it would be like trying to race motorbikes against cars, they are just too different.
For me, I'm a frustrated petrol head, I can't afford to race karts or bikes, so I go for something I can still tune, and get a buzz from the fumes at the same time...

highroller
05-26-2004, 02:55 AM
For intial cost both would be about the same overal today vs 15-20 years ago, switching from one to the other is where it might be a bit costly depending on how you plan to use it bashing vs some type of competitive level racing.

trw
05-26-2004, 04:28 PM
Bishop pretty much ended it with great points.