PDA

View Full Version : t-maxx shift problems

sportmaxxracer
05-12-2004, 09:10 PM
my friend got a t-maxx and he's a begginer and it would stall when he braked so I fixed it and now it doesn't shift into second. we tried to adjust it according to the manual but couldn't find the screws to adjust the shift does anyone know how to fix it? pease help he just broke it in today! :D

rocknbil
05-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Check out last month's RCCA - there's an article in there that specifically outlines that most of the time, shifting problems with the 'Maxx are due to incorrect tuning. Make sure the tuning is correct first.

Edit: How did you "fix" it?

Whatever you changed it's likely that's what did it . . .

sportmaxxracer
05-13-2004, 06:53 PM
I adjusted the throttle linkage because it was closing the carb too much

raderrustler
05-13-2004, 08:03 PM
The Traxxas two-speed shifts only when the engine is running good and properly tuned. Is your truck running sluggish or does it cut out at wot? You need to have crisp acceleration and good trail of smoke from the exhaust and when it winds out it should shift. If not adjust needles for performance and it should shift. If the shift is happening but at wrong rpm range then that is when you go into tranny and adjust the shift point. Tuning will make the truck shift.
Randy

rocknbil
05-13-2004, 08:06 PM
Hmm well if you adjusted the LINKAGE to do that, that could be the problem, or contributed to it. If the carb is closing too much, the way to prevent that is by turning the idle screw in a quarter turn or so.

Also if you did that to keep it from dying, that's also a bad idea. Altering the idle to compensate for poor tuning leaves you with a poorly tuned engine that stays running. :D Seriously though, the tuning could have been the issue in the first place, and still is. Look up that issue of RCCA.

raderrustler
05-13-2004, 08:18 PM
I adjusted the throttle linkage because it was closing the carb too much

DOH!!
Do as bill says and with radio gear off...adjust idle set screw to 1 to 1 1/2 mm open at the carb. The linkage should be set that when radio is on and truck rcvr is on the opening is at 1 1 1/2 mm open and the servo is not applying pressure to the linkage, when throttle applied the linkage should open carb only enough to make barrel open fully..no more..
Read the how-to as said before....

Hey Bill....any peanuts lately?

Randy

JoeMAXX
05-13-2004, 10:02 PM
The TRX 2.5 will stall when slamming on the brakes when NEW during break in to fix this problem you should richen the LSN by about 1/8 to 1/4 turn counter clockwise. This setting is on the slide carb and you have to work around the gas tank to adjust it with a thin long screw driver. I had the same problem and this fixed it. I have to bet you set the Idle screw too high and it kicks/Jerks a bit at idle.

The Two speed tranny on a TMaxx adjustments have to do with the RPMs the engine turns over. If the engine does reach a certain RPM to kick in the second gear clutch it will not switch to second gear.

On my both TMaxxes the second gear kicks in without much of a sound from the engine but I can still tell when it hits second but the transition is very smooth.

There is a rubber plug that you can remove on the Two Speed tranny and it is adjusted with a small screw driver. and I would suggest reading the manual or call Traxxas Tech support before attempting adjustment.

If you adjusted the throttle linkage this should be performed without the engine running and the radio on. You perform something we call Throw points and the throttle should fully open and close while you look at the carb without the air filter on.

So I have to agree with both Radar and Rockin says.

Hmmm back to the peanuts thing are we :D

rocknbil
05-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Hey Bill....any peanuts lately?

LOL. Funny you would mention it. Apparently so. :D