PDA

View Full Version : which is faster

ralliart
05-12-2004, 09:19 PM
my friend has a HPI RTR RS4 3 EVO and i want to race him, and i'm thinking of getting the HPI RS$ Type SS, but the Type ss 's engine is difernt then the EVo the evo's is a T-15 engine and the the Type ss's engine is a 12r SS, and is said to b\put out more the 1 horsepower, i just want to know which engine is better and has more speed and horsepower, and rpm, and the T-15 engine is alot cheaper then the 12r SS does this mean that the 12r SS is better and why is it cheaper. HPI said that the T-15 goes over 70kph and if the 12r SS is more expensive and more power (IF!!!) does this mean that it will go faster then 70kph, so bare with me, i'm not ne to rc's but i am new to nitro rc's

thanks

SteveK
05-12-2004, 10:13 PM
HPI's website says the T-15 is more powerful (Discounting the design and quality of the components, logically an engine with larger displacement would be more powerful), but it may not be as high-quality. Look at the rest of the kit's features as well.

Besides the differences in the cars, if you got the same car as your friend, you would both basically be on equal ground, for whatever that is worth to you.

ralliart
05-12-2004, 10:53 PM
well i want the type ss because it's a kit and i want to build it, but it doesn't have a roto start which is what i want and i want the EVO becasue it has a rotostart, and a better engine (i think) but the displacement for the type ss engine is 2.09cc and the displacement for the T-15 is 2.49cc. now i don't know.

TJNMT
05-12-2004, 11:08 PM
If you guys both have the same gearing. and you got .12rss and he has the t-15, you will win in a drag race. But on the track it's a different story

SteveK
05-12-2004, 11:09 PM
If the cars are otherwise the same (Besides the engines), just take the RTR apart and rebuild it before you run it.

josh222
05-13-2004, 12:00 PM
I would go for the SS, I have one and it is great :) With the SS you get to chose your Radio and the .12R SS is a higher reving engine compaired to the T-15. The .12R SS is a Fantom .12FR under a different name :rolleyes: I am preety sure the SS version RS4 3 is faster than the EVO :) Go for the SS, and the SS is faster because of the more RPMs

dutchalltheway
05-13-2004, 01:36 PM
you ever thought about who is the more skilled driver??It is not all about speed...there are tons of rc drivers out there with the fastest material, but even so many drivers with less powerfull cars that will beat them...so....

ralliart
05-13-2004, 04:07 PM
that friend of mine with an Evo 3 only got into rc for about 5 months, i'm been in for about 3 years. i just don't want to embarass myself and lose to a guy thats only been in this hobby for a couple months, i just want a better engine to make sure i don't lose. i'm going to drag race him AND race him on the track. and does a more horsepower and higher rpm engine drain gas faster then the lower rpm engine or does it depend on how you drive it.

metalry101
05-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Gas consumption depends on engine size (bigger engines use more fuel than smaller engines), tuning (rich uses fuel faster than lean), and driving (running wide open most of the tank will use more fuel than cruising around at various speeds). As for which car...take your pic. I think they're both decent cars, but the SS really isn't all that fast for what it comes with. 45 mph out of a two-speed nitro? The Nitro TC3 RTR comes w/ a single speed and does that. Now I'll admit that the SS is much much faster out of the hole, but it should be able to be faster out of the hole and faster on the top end w/ a 2-speed. I'm thinking that either the engine doesn't rev very high, or that the car is geared really really low. I could be wrong, but a 1+ horsepower engine should push that car to at least 55 and still get off the line well if it's geared right. Anyways, for the drag race, everything I've read says the SS is a great drag car. It's really really quick off the line and gets to top speed very quickly. That top speed isn't that impressive compared to other cars in it's class (or even my Mammoth), but the time it takes to get there means you'll win most races.

raderrustler
05-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Never settle on cubic inches and a single speed to win at a track...You would need to be the best driver in the world. The 2 speed and the high revving 12rss is the ticket on a track...if you want a higher top-end then just regear your clutch pinion and the 2nd gear spur...very easy and inexpensive. You can also enter sanctioned races with the .12r ss wheras the .15 is not legal and you would have to run in a outlaw class.
Although the t-15 has "Claimed" more hp I think the .12r ss is a better engine. JMO no flaming please. Another good car to look at is the LD3 2 spd...good engine 2 spd elec start and reasonably priced and it handles quite well. hope it helps.
Randy

josh222
05-13-2004, 09:07 PM
Go for the SS, you can't go wrong :D

nMotion96
05-14-2004, 03:14 AM
what about getting the R40. its a kit and you get to pick your engine