PDA

View Full Version : Info needed - LavCo Pro motor dyno

hypertech
05-12-2004, 10:08 PM
Does anyone recall if RCCA ever did a reveiw on a Lavco Pro Dyno way back when ? I'm desperatly seeking some info on the operation of the thing...picked one up that is mint except for the missing manual.

StevePond
05-12-2004, 10:13 PM
We did (I did actually) but it's been a long time since I've seen or used it. I couldn't tell you much about it off the top of my head, and I don't know if the article is going to teach you how to operate the dyno. Kent Clausen is a member here, and I recall that he was involved in LavCo before moving on to bigger and better things. Maybe he'll drop in and point you in the right direction.

hypertech
05-12-2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks Steve...my fingers are crossed in hopes of him dropping in and maybe remembering some of the operational details. Hey what ever happened to Mike Lavcott whom invented all those cool Lavco gadgets ? Ask me if I'd be tickled to find his email addy :D

hypertech
05-13-2004, 12:57 AM
Thank you for renaming the thread and making it more visible :cool:

highroller
05-13-2004, 05:56 AM
Yes, I own one and still was using it until the Flex coupler broke. Bought it new (Pkus the power converter from Tower) the only information I can't give you is converting the RPM and Power number into a gearing formula, my dyno did not have that one sheet.
1. Basically you want to test the motor at the voltage and loads it uses during a race stock motors 20-25 amp, modified between 25-30 oval at 35amp with 19 turn the same as stock or 25 if used in oval.
2. For testing you can use the Power Converter that was made for it (allows you to use a 12 volts battery or power supply but keeps voltage at level to test at 6 and 7 cell limit) or convert some old packs 4 cell testing = use 5 cell pack, 6cell- 7cell pack. The extra cell provides voltage to run dyno, while the other is used to run the test motor.
3. Use a fan when during long periods of testing to keep dyno cool, do not allow rpm to exceed 52,000 use the next load setting.
4. To ensure accurate test results run the motor being tested for 10-15 seconds to ensure brushes are properly seated and motor is at decent temperature.
5. Start at 10 or 15 amp (Pro Version) to get a baseline reading, then use the setting most likely seen in a race. During testing you tried to achieve higher rpm, while keeping the power number (350-420 good to excellent) while number in the 280 range indicates some possible problem (comm out round-needs truing, worn or improperly seated brush, spring tension not right). Somethings to also be aware of with testing at different loads, or just getting baseline numbers, RPM will usually drop 3,000 while power number increase - the less drop you see in rpm the better the motor will be overal.
6. If display is not lighted or numbers fade the battery (9volt) needs to be replaced. Remove the screws that hold the aluminum cases together. Gently slid them apart, the 9volt battery is attached to the bottom side of the upper case. If numbers still aren't steady after changing the battery your next option is to true the slave motor's comm and replace the brushes with something like Reedy 729 or 732 unserrated brush. Mark, the alignment of the slave motor, flex couple and motor can to ensure motor is assembled in correct orientation and aligned properly when you begin testing. Any misaligned will lead to inconsistant results.

The Stock Version uses 10, 15, 20 and 25 amp load settings, while the Pro Version uses 15,20, 25, 30,35. The only results you do not get from the dyno is the efficiency but it is relatively related to the power numbers (anytime Power drops below 380 it's a sign of inefficiency), while the rpm and power numbers can to be to get the relative HP output using newton meter and watts. Once you do a few tests with different motors you will be able to see differences in rpm, power levels that each motor produces. The results you get are comparable to a Turbo 35 dyno, as long as you are using the same voltage and amp loads.

Over the years I have tried getting information from someone involved with LaVco especially after breaking the Flex coupler, Kent who is with HPI and no answers to emails while I heard that Mike himself left all ties with RC and was either working in the real automotive field or something like that.

highroller
05-13-2004, 06:24 AM
While you won't encounter problems testing stock and 19turn motors the newer modifieds below 12 turns may put too much of a load on dyno causing it to blow out or damage something so try to refrain from testing them.

hypertech
05-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Many many thanks highroller :cool:

highroller
05-13-2004, 10:36 AM
You are welcome, now if you come across a Flex coupler let me know or if there is something I wasn't clear on ask.