PDA

View Full Version : Car copying companies

Combatcm
05-14-2004, 04:32 AM
While searching for a 1/5 scale buggy, I found out that smartech apparently has a 1/5 scale buggy. It is only available in austrailia. Looking on a distributer website, I found a whole bunch of other copy-cars.

http://www.modelengines.com.au/frames.htm

I see a micro street force, TC3, XTM X-terminator and the Marder buggy. How do these companies get away with copying cars? Honestly, if I found a place to buy the 1/5 scale buggy, and if it was under $500, I'd buy it.

Which one is this? I can't remember, I'm getting frustrated. Oh well I'll find out when I go upstairs and look in the car action issue where they tested it with the mad force.

http://www.modelengines.com.au/maloo%20X-Treme%20lge.jpg

I surely hope most other countries aren't riddled with fake cars.

403forbidden
05-14-2004, 05:30 AM
In China, there is little or no regulation of patents. All those copies are made in China.

One word though, the 1/5th scale Smartech Traveller (which is a clone of the original FG Marder) is a very high quality copy. Some say that it is even better than the original FG Marder.

After the Traveller came out, FG was forced to make upgrade changes to the Marder simply to compete. So one can say that the copy was good for the consumer over all.

Kenny T
05-14-2004, 07:15 AM
X-terminator and the GV Rex-X are the same but the name name of the Rex-X was changed for marketing in the US, some cars are the same, just got different names.

metalry101
05-14-2004, 10:28 AM
The truck in the pic is an XTM X-Factor.

Combatcm
05-14-2004, 02:45 PM
Does anywhere know where I can purchase a traveller? It seems they are all over Austrailia.

Sniper5904
05-14-2004, 03:33 PM
I want that holden Monaro NOW!!

As far as copying goes, if the customer does their research and asks around, there shouldn't be a problem, they will know what they pay for. And it certainly doesn't harm the hobby to have more people get into it because the cars are cheaper; "fake" or not.

403forbidden
05-14-2004, 04:02 PM
It'sd hard to find the Traveller in the US because of US import laws. Try EBAY...or your local China Town.

Also, the "Carson Attack" is the same car under a different name. You might want to try that.

Just don't pay over $700 for it. The price of the copy should really be around $500 or less

LiTtl3_Mik3
05-14-2004, 10:52 PM
I like the bodies. They have the Ford Falcon which i want. V8 Supercars rule!!!

*Miller*
05-16-2004, 07:10 PM
What is the Rex X a copy of?

Greg_Hager
05-17-2004, 02:24 AM
What is the Rex X a copy of?

It's not a copy...

X-terminator and the GV Rex-X are the same but the name name of the Rex-X was changed for marketing in the US, some cars are the same, just got different names.

Fantom 15 gt
05-17-2004, 04:35 AM
I want that holden Monaro NOW!!

Looks more like a Holden Maloo ute to me ;)

Combatcm
05-19-2004, 11:54 PM
Look at this, that traveller/carson attack buggy is also this...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGMP7**&P=0

Duratrax firehammer!

rccardude04
05-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Ew. That's fugly (at least the body is anyway:) ).
-Eric

TXTRCR
12-05-2004, 03:08 PM
I like it, why pay 1200 for the FG when you can get the same thing for 900 or less Ugly body and all.

SteveK
12-05-2004, 03:53 PM
There was something on one of the news magazine shows (60 Minutes I think) a few months ago. What happens is, companies will hire out their work to these Asian countries, companies like Titleist or Nike, and then once they figure out how to make a near-exact copy, the reproductions and rampant. The reporter bought a set of high-end golf clubs for about 10% of the price of real ones, and only a golf pro could tell the difference. This extends to cars, books, even full-size cars. The reproductions are generally inferior, but you can't usually tell just by looking at them.

American companies are pressing these foreign governments to crack down, but they don't have the resources, or necessarily the desire, to do so.

mp75unlimited
12-07-2004, 07:01 AM
Hey - I actually saw that doco. It was the Callaway golf clubs I believe and out of the box, even the Pro US Golfers was impressed at the copy.

However the performance was particularly bad on the golf course and when they cut it open, it can be seen so.

BTW - could you give a direct pic or a link (your link was bad) to the 1/5 scale Smartech buggy? :D ME WANT TO BUY! :D (provided its decently priced)

holeshotkid
12-14-2004, 06:06 PM
do you own the micro street force and the micro rs4, because from what i hear its NOT the same. do you guys think that just because the body from one will fit another means that one of them is a fake? also i have heard from ppl that own both that they like the the micro street force better.