PDA

View Full Version : Waste of time

BoyScout15
06-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Who thinks drag racing is a waste of time? :mad:

integra d12
06-08-2004, 06:04 PM
I :D why limit yourself to going straight.... BOring.

bigmike216
06-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Who thinks this thread is a waste of time? :mad:

I do. :D

GramdeGixxer
06-08-2004, 06:29 PM
You arent really wasting much time when it only takes the 4 seconds to do the 1/4 and at 300 mph. The whole thing is the challenge. Do I watch it? No. Do I thnik it is pretty amazing that they can get a freakin car to go that fast in that amount of time. Hell yeah. Do I think that they really need 2 differnt leagues of it? No. but hey people come out and pay to watch it so until that stops they will continue to do it.

TC3Racer
06-08-2004, 07:45 PM
When it comes to RC i think its pretty fun to drag my car past another in a parade or something. I wouldn't get into RC drag racing but there are so many factors that go into it we cant even imagine. the right amount of downforce on the wing is key for strong starts but if its too much it can cause you to wheelie or slow you down with air resistance. Maybe if it was more popular i would consider it! hehe.

rocknbil
06-08-2004, 08:29 PM
Full scale or RC? Illegally on the streets or on a track? :D

If someone says something is a waste of time, they should close the book. If it's something you enjoy, it doesn't matter if you collect belly-button lint in your spare time - any form of harmless entertainment is always good.

Marsh23
06-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Drag Racing R/c.... That could be fun, Drag Racing real cars, 600+ hp doing high 4's to low 6's that fun. I have done it in my Eagle, stock tho, but it was fun and planing on doing it again with a few mods :D , now for some one to make a clutch system for nitros that you can go to the line and rev it with out ingauging, and then dumping on green, that be cool :eek:

Budman_222
06-08-2004, 10:35 PM
Drag Racing R/c.... That could be fun, Drag Racing real cars, 600+ hp doing high 4's to low 6's that fun.

A car with 600 hp will not do any 6's much less a high 4. The cars that turn 4's have aprox. 7- 8,000 hp. That's top fuel and fuel funny car. Nothing else will run in the 4's.

henry_huckem
06-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Nothing else will run in the 4's.
dude, theres this really creepy chick where I work, I mean, she scares the crap outta me. if she was coming after me, I bet you I could run in the 4's. :D

rccardude04
06-09-2004, 12:47 AM
:rolleyes:
-Eric

robc
06-09-2004, 01:12 AM
No, what would be REALLY boring would be driving in a circle for 3 hours. Oops that's NASCAR, sorry. :(

Budman_222
06-09-2004, 01:12 AM
dude, theres this really creepy chick where I work, I mean, she scares the crap outta me. if she was coming after me, I bet you I could run in the 4's. :D

:D I don't think I want to see her.

lerningdriver
06-09-2004, 01:55 AM
No, what would be REALLY boring would be driving in a circle for 3 hours. Oops that's NASCAR, sorry. :(

my thoughts exactly.

henry_huckem
06-09-2004, 08:45 AM
my thoughts exactly.

man, you took mine!! :mad:

:p :p

dog8spam
06-09-2004, 11:43 AM
Nascars dont blow up at the finish line.

dhutch
06-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Who thinks drag racing is a waste of time? :mad:

I do. :D

LOL, i agree

Losi Stealth
06-09-2004, 02:42 PM
I think both full size, and R/C drag racing have their own merit. The speeds are impressive, and the amount of work it takes to get them to go that fast has to be worth something.

You know what is a waste of time? The drag-racing slot cars you can buy for $20 off the TV. There is no skill involved in racing them, and they are about as far from adjustable as one can get. THats what i consider a waste of time.

Krasi_5000
06-09-2004, 04:01 PM
I dont find drag racing the most interesting thing to watch but if YOU are in that seat OHHH BOYY i think you'd love it hehe and i think its impresive how fast they go in such as short distance. But i must say nascar is the most boring thing ever...atleast to me it it.

tec_41
06-09-2004, 07:11 PM
I dont belive in nascar at all. People say we are running out of sources for fuel, and with gas prices as high as they are, is it really worth it to watch a car go in circles at 180mph for 3 hours? I dont think so...

bigmike216
06-09-2004, 10:49 PM
I'm also not a nascar fan. :) F1 here. :D

thedarkness
06-10-2004, 02:22 AM
no NASCAR for me its road/street courses or off road for me.Haha the local hicks have there own nascar here the drive up and down the street pulling u-turns at each end for about 6 hours every friday afternoon.i mean i live in a small town, this street is only four blocks long, yet there will be around 30 cars driving up and down it for six hours.Id still rather watch that than nascar.

Jeckler
06-10-2004, 02:30 AM
Nascars dont blow up at the finish line.

No, they wait until 20 laps to go, dump oil out the bottom of the car and take out the guy running away with the race.

Oh, then they waive the "One to Go" at 12 laps with the excuse that they want another lap to blow away the oil-dry, when it's painfully obvious they really want a single file re-start at 10 to go.

Marsh23
06-10-2004, 02:01 PM
A car with 600 hp will not do any 6's much less a high 4. The cars that turn 4's have aprox. 7- 8,000 hp. That's top fuel and fuel funny car. Nothing else will run in the 4's.

I see you miss the plus sign after the 600, I did't say that 600 would run 4's, learn to read. and my friend, no way in hell thouse engines have 7,000-8,000hp, try around 1250, need to read up, now if your talking about a boeing 777 it has the 8,000hp engines, oh and local trains?? they have around 5000hp, need to check up on your stats be for you open your mouth.

Marsh23
06-10-2004, 05:06 PM
stand corrected, can't beleve that thouse cars running 4's with nitro-methan, have that much when i know DSMs and other cars runing low 6's with way less hp, crazy, TOTALY CRAZY.

GramdeGixxer
06-10-2004, 07:42 PM
i thought top fuel were in the 3-4 thousand hp range but maybe i need to do some reading up myself

Bigwrenn
06-10-2004, 07:53 PM
Did you know

that the nitromethane-powered engines of NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars produce approximately 8,000 horsepower, about 43 times that of the average street car?

that one cylinder of the eight cylinders of a Top Fuel dragster or a Funny Car produces 750 horsepower, equaling the entire horsepower output of a NASCAR engine?

that the gasoline-powered engines of NHRA Pro Stock cars produce about 1,200 horsepower, about eight times that of the average street car?

that an NHRA Top Fuel dragster accelerates from 0 to 100 mph in less than .8-second, almost 11 seconds quicker than it takes a production Porsche 911 Turbo to reach the same speed?

that an NHRA Top Fuel dragster leaves the starting line with a force nearly five times that of gravity, the same force of the space shuttle when it leaves the launching pad at Cape Canaveral?

that an NHRA Funny Car is slowed by a reverse force more than seven times that of gravity when both parachutes deploy simultaneously?

that NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars consume between four and five gallons of fuel during a quarter-mile run, which is equivalent to between 16 and 20 gallons per mile?

that NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars use between 10 and 12 gallons of fuel for a complete pass, including the burnout, backup to the starting line, and quarter-mile run?

that NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars travel the length of more than four football fields in less than five seconds?

that NHRA Top Fuel dragsters can exceed 280 mph in just 660 feet?

that from a standing start, NHRA Top Fuel dragsters accelerate faster than a jumbo jet, a fighter jet, and a Formula One race car?

that a fuel pump for an NHRA Top Fuel dragster and Funny Car delivers 65 gallons of fuel per minute, equivalent to eight bathroom showers running at the same time?

that the fuel-line pressure for NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars is between 400 and 500 pounds, about 20 times greater than the pressure on passenger-car fuel pumps?

that depending on size and angle, the large rear wing on an NHRA Top Fuel dragster develops between 4,000 and 8,000 pounds of downforce?

that the 17-inch rear tires used on NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars wear out after four to six runs, or about two miles? Some brands of passenger-car tires are guaranteed for 80,000 miles.

that it takes just 15/100ths of a second for all 8,000 horsepower of an NHRA Top Fuel dragster engine to reach the rear wheels?

that it's desirable for an NHRA Top Fuel dragster to race with its front wheels inches off the ground for about the first 200 feet of the run? This ensures proper weight transfer to the rear wheels, a crucial part of a good launch and quick run.

that the nitromethane used to power the engines of NHRA Top Fuel dragsters and Funny Cars costs about $30 per gallon?

-Bigwrenn

KartMan
06-10-2004, 07:55 PM
Top fuel cars are currently making in the 6,000 hp range.

Here is my take on this subject. If you think it is boring, then why are you spending all of this time telling everyone that it's boring. You should, instead of complaining, start a thread about something that you actually like. I am not trying to start anything here, just can't figure out why you would waste time talking about things that are boring.

I don't like flying, but I don't go onto a Flying BBS, and tell them that what they enjoy doing is boring because the just fly in the air...

Lastly, I believe that if you knew even a little about drag racing, and the amount of science it takes to run in the 7's, much less the 4's, you would appreciate their efforts more. This coming from a fellow that has run mid-7's, and understands this thoroughly. To run even in the 5-6 range, you are talking some serious horsepower. You can not just bolt on a wide slick, and hook up in that power range. If your clutch adjustments are even .001 out, you are either too slow, or you spin the tires. If your shock setting are out even the slightest, you will not even get out of the box. Springs, torsion bars, ladder bars/4 link adjustments, engine timine, spark plug heat range, fuel mixture, car jet choices, ignition box setting.... this list is VERY LONG. I guarantee that these people will tell you to your face that playing with toy cars is BORING.

BUT TO EACH HIS/HER OWN!

Later

KartMan
06-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Ya, what Bigwrenn said.....

Bigwrenn
06-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Top fuel cars are currently making in the 6,000 hp range.

Try 8,000 horsepower, and I agree with Kartman!

NASCAR is the biggest waste of time I have ever seen! :D

KartMan
06-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Man, just when I thought I was getting along with ya, you had to throw that in our face. Nothing is a waste of time. If you don't like it, then don't worry about it.

DIFFERENT STROKER FOR DIFFERENT FOLKES!

(I am going to see how many cliche's I can get into one day of chatting on the boards.)

Bigwrenn
06-10-2004, 08:02 PM
It was posted in a joking manner, I don't hate it. I just like racing a 1/4 mile at the time!:D

KartMan
06-10-2004, 08:03 PM
I understand what you are saying, but here is how I feel about racing. If it can be raced, I will watch it......

Racing is Racing...

(That's 3)

Bigwrenn
06-10-2004, 08:05 PM
lol, how about "Rubbin' is racin'"?;)

KartMan
06-10-2004, 08:07 PM
Been there done that...

(4)

KartMan
06-10-2004, 08:08 PM
We should start a Racing Cliche thread... Except I don't think some people know what a Cliche is.... I don't even know if I am spelling it right, I just know what it means...

rocknbil
06-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Heh. you mean like that nitro fact list from the Losi site?

haha. Couldn't resist. :D

Budman_222
06-10-2004, 09:19 PM
I see you miss the plus sign after the 600, I did't say that 600 would run 4's, learn to read. and my friend, no way in hell thouse engines have 7,000-8,000hp, try around 1250, need to read up, now if your talking about a boeing 777 it has the 8,000hp engines, oh and local trains?? they have around 5000hp, need to check up on your stats be for you open your mouth.

Yeah, 600 + 7,000. I know my stats about drag racing very well, thank you. 1250 hp is a pro stock that probably didn't qualify. That's a pretty rude way to treat somebody when you are as wrong as you are. " You need to check up on your stats before you open your mouth."

Bigwrenn
06-10-2004, 09:53 PM
Heh. you mean like that nitro fact list from the Losi site?

haha. Couldn't resist. :D

What nitro fact list from Losi??? :confused: :confused:
I know your not talking about what I posted because that came from the NHRA website! :D

rocknbil
06-10-2004, 10:12 PM
Ahh what the hell, they're everywhere. Losi used to have one on their site too, had many of the same comments. :D

sportmaxxracer
06-10-2004, 10:42 PM
if you haven't been to an rc drag strip it's pretty cool. The cars are about 5-8 feet long and are lighting fast. I don't know any facts but they are really cool.