PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered my first RC

AndyC
06-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Thanks to the nice folks on this board I just ordered a TC3 Racing kit from Tower. Now I need to figure out what kind of electronics to get as well as everything else I will need.

I may have made a mistake ordering a kit instead of an RTR but I really want to learn how the thing is put together so that I can fix it myself when needed.

Thanks again for all your help, I am sure I will have many more questions.

Andy

gizmoguy303
06-28-2004, 12:12 PM
Actually, the mistake is when people buy the RTR instead of the kit! You absolutely made the right decision getting a kit. That way you'll know your car inside and out. I have seen a lot of people buy RTR's, and then when they break something they have no idea how to fix it.

As far as your electronics, how much are you looking to spend? Are you going to be racing or just screwing around? What class do you plan to run in?

Have fun!

AndyC
06-28-2004, 12:18 PM
Actually, the mistake is when people buy the RTR instead of the kit! You absolutely made the right decision getting a kit. That way you'll know your car inside and out. I have seen a lot of people buy RTR's, and then when they break something they have no idea how to fix it.

As far as your electronics, how much are you looking to spend? Are you going to be racing or just screwing around? What class do you plan to run in?

Have fun!

I am definately planning on racing. We have a nice track near where I live and I think this could turn into a fun (but costly) hobby.

I am looking at getting the MRC Super Brain 969 Pro Series with Epic 3000 NiMH sport packs. I have not idea bout an engine or pinion yet. The transmitter I am looking at is the JR XS3.

I am a total newbie and really have no idea what class I will race.

Andy

monyet fangkeh
06-28-2004, 12:28 PM
nice you bought the kit. so you can learn about the car if you want to race it. great choice on the xs3. you wont be disappointed by it.

if you want to race, maybe you should try with stock class or 19t class. look on reedy mvp, trinity p2k2, team orion core stock and many other stock motor. they are all good stock motor. about the pinion, get a set of pinions so you can work out your gearing that suit your track.

about the charger....i heard the mrc 969 is good charger but i also heard that many people have problems with it. if you definitely want to go racing, maybe should look at LRP competition pulsar charger or some other top of the line charger. you want a charger that grow with your hobby, so you dont have to change charger anymore.

gizmoguy303
06-28-2004, 12:42 PM
Racing is awesome, and I'm sure you'll become addicted just like the rest of us on this board. :p

You definitely want to spend as much money as you can on a charger, since it will grow with you as you progress in your racing and as your needs expand. I recommend the LRP Pulsar Competition, Novak Millennium Pro, or a Reedy Quasar Pro. The first two will need power supplies.

Sport packs will not cut it for racing, with the exception of the novice class. Pick up some good matched GP3300 cells and assemble them yourself. Look to www.kinetixrc.com, www.promatchracing.com, www.fukuyamaracing.com, www.surgebatterymatching.com for just a few matchers. There is a big difference between the power of a matched pack and the power of a "sport" stick pack.

Basically, are you going to race Stock or Mod? Your ESC choice may be affected by the class you plan to run in. If you plan on running Mod, you'll need an ESC that can handle a low-turn mod motor. Examples: Novak GT7, Novak Dually, LRP IPC V7.1, LRP Quantum Competition 2, etc. Look on eBay and in the For Sale/Trade Forum for used high-end ESC's if you are on a tight budget.

Check out your local track and ask what tires/inserts (or foams) they are running. Ask what classes are available to run in. Have them explain how the races are set up, when to get your transponder, when to sign up, when you race, etc., etc. It's good to be informed before you show up that race day when everybody is busy doing they're own thing and can't sit down to talk to you about everything.

Your radio is top-notch. Check out the M8 as well, or if you don't need all that extra stuff, look at the Airtronics MX-3. $99 for the crystal version, and a little more for a synth version.

Hope this helps.

AndyC
06-28-2004, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to put a battery pack together. I know it involves soldering, which I have never attempted. I am probably going to race in the novice stock class to start and go from there. Thanks for all your help.

Andy

gizmoguy303
06-28-2004, 01:18 PM
Many matchers will assemble them for a small fee. I would highly recommend starting out with some type of GP3300 pack instead of the cheap sport packs.

LasagnaCat
06-28-2004, 01:33 PM
Don't be scared off by the soldering, you're going to have to learn how sooner or later - and most likely sooner since you bought a kit and will have to do motor, esc, and/or plug wiring if you buy mid to higher end electronics. It's not that bad with a little practice and the right equipment, and if you plan on racing it'll be a must - the first you'll NEED something soldered it'll all be worthwhile. :)

erock1331
06-28-2004, 01:57 PM
I know money maybe an issue when you first start out, but here are my thoughts.
I have entered this hobby twice. Once when I was young, then quit and got back into in my mid-twenty's. If you think you will end up sticking with the hobby, start out with 2 things, a good top of the line charger and a top of the line radio.
These are 2 items you can use for a long time.
My suggestion is getting a PCM radio. This will take 99% of glitching out of the equation. Even the best FM radio's still glitch and this can be frustrating and also can cause nasty crashes that you have no control over.
Even if you have to buy used, you cant go wrong with a PCM radio.

2nd buy a top of the line charger.
If you plan on building motors, make sure you have one with motor run in features.
Probably the most complete lower line chager is the LRP Pulsar competition.
The only thing it lacks is a high discharge rate. If I were to just start out I would buy a used Turbo 35. You can find em for about $200. It will do everything you need.
Charge/Discharge/Cycle/Motor run in/Power a lathe, etc

Dont skimp on these 2 areas. If you do and continue to race you will end up upgrading sooner or later. So spend the money now, instead of later.

AndyC
06-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Dont skimp on these 2 areas. If you do and continue to race you will end up upgrading sooner or later. So spend the money now, instead of later.

This is good advice and along the lines of what I was already thinking. I don't want to buy something now just to get me by just to upgrade in a couple of months.

I am anxious to get a car on the road but I am going to take my time and buy things I can use well into the future.

Andy

AndyC
06-29-2004, 01:53 PM
The car has shipped and shouldn't take too long to get here since it is coming from IL and I am in MO.

One of my concerns is my lack of tools and the complexity of the build. I do fine at following instructions, but how good are the instructions that come with the car? What would you recommend be in my tool kit. I know I need hex drivers, but am not sure what brand would be good and cover the sizes I need. Should I look into buying any tools for the build or just use the wrenches I currently have.

Thanks,
Andy

Jenith44
06-29-2004, 05:04 PM
If you have a sears in your area just go there and get some hex drivers, thet way if they get worn or break you can just take em back no questions asked. If you have some small sockets already you should be all set, and thats probaly all you'll need for the build. For batties go to Cheapbatterypacks.com (www.cheapbatterypacks.com) there curently selling gp 3300s if you buy a set of six they will be a matched set. And at 5 bucks a cell how can ya go wrong, and if ya pay a little more they will make em for ya too! Good luck with your new adiction :)

gizmoguy303
06-29-2004, 06:16 PM
Don't be intimidated by the build - it's nothing you can't handle. The instructions will guide you along just fine, and as long as you have a good set of hex drivers (http://integy.automated-shops.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=160&p_catid=11&sid=4wSJJh0-UMLo8I5-33104063627.5f) and a decent socket set (http://integy.automated-shops.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=172&p_catid=11&sid=4wSJJh0-UMLo8I5-33104063627.5f) (nut drivers) it will actually be fun to do. I just bought a set of cheap socket drivers from the local hardware store for around $3 and they work fine in most circumstances. The expensive long shank, thin wall drivers like Losi's and Integy's come in very handy when wrenching on ball studs and other hard to reach objects, however. ;)

TBone77
06-30-2004, 02:41 PM
I may have made a mistake ordering a kit instead of an RTR

You made the right choice, if you ask me. You'll know your rig inside and out by time you're finished, and you'll be confident in the workmanship that went into its construction. That's not to say you won't run into frustrating moments here and there, but it's totally worth it.

Personally, I really don't like how popular RTR kits have become (but I'm in the minority). IMVHO, building the car is half the hobby!

skife
06-30-2004, 06:40 PM
"I know it involves soldering, which I have never attempted"

soldering isn't that hard, its a good skil to master

about 30 seconds i just herd my mom say "justin come take care of your soldering stuff on the table please"
hehehe.

Chris LaPanse
07-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Or you can buy pre-soldered packs at www.fusionbatteries.com or www.ballisticbatteries.com. They have race grade packs that come pre soldered.

AndyC
07-01-2004, 01:29 AM
I am impressed with Tower so far. I ordered the car monday and received it today. That is outstanding service, IMHO.

The build will have to wait until this weekend. I have three days off coming up.

Andy

traxxas-dude
07-02-2004, 04:49 AM
Yeah, Tower is probably the best online retailer, at least it is in my opinion. It takes 2 days to get packages from them, and I live in Ohio.

As someone said earlier, I would Invest in a PCM Radio, you cant go wrong with them. I invested in a JR R-1 Pro last year, and its the best $400 Ive spent in this hobby, since it has saved my Storm Pro from Runaways many a time ;) Also NO Glitching whatsoever. My friend has an XS3, its nice, very comfortable, but he still has glitching problems every once in a while.

Good Luck with your new car and welcome to the hobby! :)

HYPA
07-02-2004, 01:35 PM
Good choice mate, the TC3 is a great car. I had one a while ago and was very happy with it. One thing to look out for while building is the tranny cases as they strip easily. Take your time with the build and you will be fine. I have just bought an XS3 and I am very happy with it so thats a great choice imo. If you need help assembling your packs then get a Deans battery jig or you can even buy matched stick packs which are still good for racing. Get a stock motor to start off with and then work your way up to a mod when you are ready. Good luck with it all mate.

cheerwhiner
07-02-2004, 02:19 PM
Air Age Media (the company responisble for this site) will have a special issue magazine this month all about touring cars- read that, sure to be good info. I usually buy the special issue mags (currently the monster truck one is out) because they do a great job on them. I lost last year's issue of the touring car version and i'm still missing it.

Trust them, don't skimp on a charger. I am getting ready to start racing soon and will just go ahead and buy the LRP comp. charger. What the heck, $100 more dollars than my current charger but it will last and do everything. I'm to the point where I have bought cheaper but decent things only to say "darn if i just saved up 30% more money i would have gotten the top of the line thing instead!" Right now I COULD race with everything I have, although its all considered basher quality. Since you have nothing right now, just go ahead and get the best stuff you can. Its worth it.

I don't know if this was mentioned but see what other racers at the track have for sale. You could probably piece together a decent racing outfit from all the little things people usually have for sale or for trades. Heck I have some crap sitting around myself which is saying a lot

Also- I started soldering only because i entered this hobby. You will have to do this, but the one thing I have never done is built a battery pack. Here is a tip- try building a battery discharger as your first project. If you break a few bulbs its not much money. Also TIN WITH LIQUID FLUX!! I wasted about 5 Dean's connectors before I learned this!