PDA

View Full Version : Why so many "getting out of hobby sales" in the FS forum

Mathew J
06-29-2004, 09:20 AM
Honestly this is the only hobby where I have seen so many "getting out of hobby" sales and just wondering why it seems RC has a high turnover, thanks.

SteveK
06-29-2004, 10:42 AM
It's probably because a lot of people get hop-up crazy with their new cars or trucks, and then a few months later they realize they have a $1500 toy sitting on a shelf that they take down once or twice a week. Even with the cheapest nitro vehicles, you're into it for $400 to start off, and that's a pretty big investment for a lot of people.

Plus R/C really isn't for everybody. Not everybody can handle the wrenching, maintenance, and the amount of time or the area in which they have to run it may not make it that much fun for them.

RichieRich
06-29-2004, 11:00 AM
The reason why sellers use the "getting out of the hobby" phrase is because it's used as a sales pitch to make people think they are willing to deal. It's like the "going out of business" sales you see at furniture shops.

rocknbil
06-29-2004, 11:16 AM
Well I think it's mostly because real life gets in the way, which is kind of a variation on SteveK's comment. Many of you are still in school or college, and while that's a busy endeavor, it's nothing like having to maintain a job, family, and home, if you own your own.

Personally there have been times I have gone a week or two and wonder the same thing, a weekend rolls around and I plan on running the RC's, but by the time I get done with all the working, mowing, chopping, trimming, digging, washing, cleaning, repairing, and building, it's DARK! But every time I force myself to just drop everything and go fire 'em up, I remember why I don't. :D

skife
06-29-2004, 12:41 PM
i dont complain, just better deals for those of us that are "just getting back into the hobby"

Dan H
06-29-2004, 01:13 PM
People will be into the hobby on and off. I downsized a considerable amount of RC's from my collection when I started getting into 1:1 cars and moved away for college. After nearly 2 years, I'm back into RC's again, but not as addicted as I was before.

When you have thousands of dollars worth of RC stuff doing nothing and would rather spend time on another hobby, it just makes sense to sell now rather than to sell later when your stuff is worth less. Example, I was too lazy to put my Mugen XR for sale when I wasn't playing with it anymore. Paid $550 for it brand new, could have gotten $300 for it but I waited to sell it after the MBX5 came out and only got $200 for my buggy.

Mathew J
06-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks all for the replies, I guess I am noticing this because I have all of this RC equipment in my closet (controller, ESC, Reciever, Servo, Motor and various other parts) and I have been debating for the past month as to what to do with it, I went so far as to order a charger and a new battery with the intention of buying another RC car and building it up, but the more I think about it the more I wonder just how much use it will get and if it is worth the time since I am getting older and what not, seeing so many that bail out doesn't help alleviate my concerns. Hopefully I will come to a decision tommorow as that is when the 20 off 150 at tower expires :) thanks

rocknbil
06-29-2004, 01:54 PM
.... but the more I think about it the more I wonder just how much use it ... since I am getting older and what not, seeing so many that bail out doesn't help alleviate my concerns ...

So what does getting older have to do with it? :D

I am old. Older than dirt. :D Been doing this for over 20 years if you include the flying days, 12 or so with ground vehicles. I've been in and out of racing, have a closet full of trophies and tons of stuff, some of which I've forgotten how I got or what it's even for, and from time to time I keep myself entertained by buying beat-up RC's from eBay and restoring them to their former glory, then resell them (for someone else to beat up.) I've been through dry periods where I'm too busy to play, and these days most of the time I am out on our track two or three times a week, mostly just racing around the GT's and electrics with my wife.

One of the reasons I keep doing it is that no matter what anyone says, or how "immature" it may feel at times, things like RC remind you how to play. If you don't forget how to play, you never **really** get old where it counts. It keeps your mind active in areas other than career and work and "adult living" and is definately one of the healthier thngs you can do.

Just don't set your slurpee next to your nitro fuel filler bottle. That really, really sucks.

:D

Mathew J
06-29-2004, 02:02 PM
So what does getting older have to do with it? :D

I am old. Older than dirt. :D Been doing this for over 20 years if you include the flying days, 12 or so with ground vehicles. I've been in and out of racing, have a closet full of trophies and tons of stuff, some of which I've forgotten how I got or what it's even for, and from time to time I keep myself entertained by buying beat-up RC's from eBay and restoring them to their former glory, then resell them (for someone else to beat up.) I've been through dry periods where I'm too busy to play, and these days most of the time I am out on our track two or three times a week, mostly just racing around the GT's and electrics with my wife.

One of the reasons I keep doing it is that no matter what anyone says, or how "immature" it may feel at times, things like RC remind you how to play. If you don't forget how to play, you never **really** get old where it counts. It keeps your mind active in areas other than career and work and "adult living" and is definately one of the healthier thngs you can do.

Just don't set your slurpee next to your nitro fuel filler bottle. That really, really sucks.

:D

Thanks for the words of encouragement, I think if there was a track or something near me I might be less hesitant to buy another kit as it might get some good use, my old kit which I just sold sat in a closet for a long time because I was into it when I was a teenager, got out of it and then found it in my closet when my mother was moving out, my father now has a few of my old RC cars and has purchased a few more so I was thinking of just giving him my old electronics so he could put them to use but for some reason I just cannot do it :) same reason why I just cannot sell off the rest of the equipment and be done with it. I think if space was not a concern, and I also didn't have this feeling like I am going to buy the car and then use it for a week or so and then forget about it I wouldn't be as hesitant...I am also consdiering a 1/18th scale Losi Mini T as at least with that I can terrorize my cats, however when I move into my new house I wouldn't use it on the hardwood floors or anywhere in there as that will be new and the wife would kill me. I am really looking for a hobby to get me away from the computer, tried collecting stuff but that is no fun which is why I came back to RC as I love building stuff...I shouldn't have sold my old car but live and learn.