PDA

View Full Version : How long do tires last?

BlackHawkJ
06-30-2004, 09:46 PM
I am going to start racing soon, most likely a Losi XXX-NT. I have seen in threads and magazines that tires will be your biggest cost. So I was curious how long will they last. Or more specificaly how often should you change them to stay upfront? 1,2, 3 races?

In shifter kart racing we used two sets ($200 a set) a weekend, three sets for bigger races!

Thanks! :D
Milano Motorsports (http://bhracing.netfirms.com)

kyoshoisbest
06-30-2004, 09:58 PM
you will probaly only have to change them every 10 or 15 times.I don't race but my tires have lasted around 40-50 runs,more or less.And I run them in the streets do donuts and all kinds of "fun" things :D :D that I'm not "supposed to do.

psbarger
06-30-2004, 10:15 PM
It depends on track conditions, but they should last a pretty decent time if you are only running them on a dirt track. Naturally, if you drive them on your driveway and such the softer race compounds will get torn up fast.

I've used the same tires on my B4 and T4 for several months with only minimal wear, and thats racing 3 times a week along with lots of practicing (as in all day at the track :)), and they've only worn a tiny amount. These are super soft compound tires too, Proline M3s and Losi Reds. Sopposedly the Proline R3 and Losi Pinks last for much much longer, but I've never actually tried them so I don't know.

Basically: You won't spend $200 worth of tires in a weekend, at least with offroad. ;)

C.J.OO
06-30-2004, 10:25 PM
Their is a lot of depends on that Q..
Some RC tyre CO.s wear faster than others..I like proline tyres for my truck buggys and monster truck..proline is a little soft but I find the quality second to none..
It also depends on compounds ECT ECT..I have wanted to try the Panther tyres Ill get a set next time I need some and see how they go...

skip m.
06-30-2004, 10:29 PM
i use step pins [ losi] on my drake, maybe 2/3 weekends of racing on the rears 3/ 5 min heats/ 15 min main steer tires last long time

BlackHawkJ
06-30-2004, 11:41 PM
Basically: You won't spend $200 worth of tires in a weekend, at least with offroad. ;)
Not to mention rebuilding the engine twice during the weekend and paying $1K for a tuner engineer/!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

surfer
07-01-2004, 12:17 AM
depends..i made slicks out of my bow ties from my brand new gt in 2 tanks

gizmoguy303
07-01-2004, 12:41 AM
Just replace them when you notice a loss in traction and can see obvious wear. Some tracks are more abrasive than others, and some tires wear faster than others. Have fun!

highroller
07-01-2004, 06:28 AM
Wear depends on 3 things: 1. how hard the compound the tire is made from 2. the abbrassiveness of the track 3. how well car handles (ill handling vehicles or poorly setup vehicles will wear tires more). One other thing could depend on how often you race, weekly, bi weekly or monthly. You could have a tire or rim break after only one heat to lasting a full season or two.

TJNMT
07-01-2004, 08:46 AM
depends..i made slicks out of my bow ties from my brand new gt in 2 tanks

Were you running them in the street?