PDA

View Full Version : siped tires

Budman_222
07-01-2004, 08:46 PM
I was just curious to see if anyone has ever tried to sipe a set of tires for an rc car, and if they had, did it work as well as it does on a full size car?

MicroMan
07-01-2004, 09:09 PM
You must be a fellow full-size racer. I don't think that you would want to sipe the tires because they are really thin, but people do cut them and there is a considerable performance increase on chevron-style monster truck tires. As for onroad style tires I don't know but my guess is that it would. The only way to know for sure is to try it.

Krasi_5000
07-01-2004, 10:09 PM
im guessing sipe is a term for trimming/modifying the tires for better grip and performance?

Budman_222
07-01-2004, 10:23 PM
im guessing sipe is a term for trimming/modifying the tires for better grip and performance?

More modifying than trimming. All it is is you put a series of slices across the tread of a tire about 1/16 to 1/8 " apart. (that's on a full size tire.) It lets the tread shift a little bit and gets a lot better grip on the road. Tires last longer and get more traction. Win win situation. Works good on snow too. I think I'll get a set of road hawgs or something similar and try it. Might not work on something that small, I guess I'll find out.

SteveK
07-02-2004, 12:52 AM
I think with R/C tires, especially on-road ones, all the traction is in the stickieness of the rubber, not in any particular tread pattern. I can't comment about on-road cars, but I know in off-road and rally they often cut the tires to clear the treads of debris better, and to give more biting edges. In on-road rallies they will sometimes make channels between the little 'X' designs in the tires, required to make the tires 17% tread to make it legal for road travel between stages, in order to clear water better on wet roads. If the rally drivers had their choice, they would run full-on slicks on pavement. In rock crawling, cutting the tires can make them more flexible, which will increase traction.

In R/C monster trucks, cutting the tread in harder tires can increase traction by making it almost a paddle tires, and also make it more flexible, as well as making it lighter. In real monster trucks, enough rubber to make several dozen sets of passenger car tires is trimmed from those very reasons (Though primarily weight). With softer R/C truck tires, modifying the tread really isn't necessary.

With a harder tire, cutting the tread could help, possibly even on pavement, but with the compounds we use today, I doubt there would be much benefits.

itdood
07-02-2004, 04:31 PM
I thought siping was done to make car tires "all - season". The siping is supposed to hold snow which actually makes the tire get more traction in snowy conditions. The idea is that snow sticks to snow better than rubber which anyone who's ever made a snow-ball can attest to.

I don't think it would help RC tires at all unless you plan on running in snow or you need all season RC tires. It might make the tires look "cool", in which case, it's just bling.

Here's a link I found related to car tires.

http://www.kaltire.com/retail/services/siping.php