PDA

View Full Version : Which Tires? Too many to choose from!!!

Flat
07-06-2004, 08:42 PM
Hi all,

I NEED to replace the tires and rims on my electric 4-tec. What tires (and rims) do you recommend? I race on parking lot pavement where the outside temps can be anywhere from 20C to 30C. The hobby store I buy from stocks HPI and Proline brand tires and rims, so I would like to stick with either those 2 manufactuers.

I will probably go with pre-mounted tires, since I need new rims anyways.

Thank for the help
Flat.

SteveK
07-06-2004, 08:47 PM
HPI Super Radials or X-patterns are really popular, and from what I have seen, longer wearing than Pro-Line tires.

tec_41
07-07-2004, 02:20 AM
Deffinatley the x-patterns Flat, i just got a set for my tec ;) they work great

TC3-MikeB
07-07-2004, 02:25 AM
Look around on the net and find yourself a good set of Take-Offs. Probly a set of 27's or 30's would be good for that temp. These are what is used by the best drivers and have always worked for me on asphalt too. You can find them premounted too so you dont have to get rims separate. Is there any reason for the preference of HPI or Proline??

Flat
07-07-2004, 07:46 PM
TC3-MikeB:
I gatta go with Proline or HPI because that's what my supplier sells. I'm in canada and buying across the border is expensive :( .

Thanks for the tips guys...

Flat.

Flat
07-07-2004, 08:56 PM
Here's what i'm looking at....
#4490 X-Pattern Radial Tire (Standard 26mm) (Pro Compound)
(don't need belted, i'm running stock)

Ok, what foams did you use? Ugh...too much selection...
And rims...

Flat.

metalry101
07-07-2004, 09:02 PM
The HPI Mesh wheels are cool. I have some of those. Dish wheels can look cool w/ some bodies and paint schemes. The two new Pro-Line rims look really nice as well.

PeTroL420
07-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Good choice Flat. Those are excellent tires with good grip and long life but I do suggest you spend the extra dollar and get the belted ones. Even though you run stock, the engine has enough power to spin those tires fast enough to have them balloon up. The belted design minimizes this effect drastically which in turn keeps the handling consitent at speed. One other thing, if you're running nitro, you have to come to the realization that tires are going to be the biggest part of your budget. Since your LHS stocks proline stuff, ask him if he could get these wheels, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHEN9&P=7, They're a little bit more than one set of rims but you get four. Also, these rims don't break when you smack a curb, they'll bend but not break. Oops, didn't see that you had an electric but the same rule somewhat applys.