PDA

View Full Version : REVO as Truck of the Year

dylan
07-12-2004, 09:29 PM
How can you guys make the revo the truck of the year before you test it, before you test the LST and the Genisis and before the REVO even shipped. For the record i dont want to start an argument or anything, i just want a straight answer :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

StevePond
07-12-2004, 09:53 PM
We did test it, a few months ago.

dylan
07-12-2004, 10:00 PM
what did you test it against?

C.J.OO
07-12-2004, 10:35 PM
Tower sent me the New catalog they have the REVO for $479.99 (truck Only).. Not a Bad price I thought...

C.J.OO
07-12-2004, 10:41 PM

In The RCCA Magazine they test all the New RCs..the lucky Buggers get to Drive all the best and worst RCs out there..
then they disect it and give you a verry Informative right up about the vehicle...
I have an edition of RCCA were they test the Xfactor truck against the Mad force..that was a cool article ..they tested wich one jumps the best and so on..I liked how they chained the rear ends together and had a Tugg'a'war..That was cool...
I suppose they could do the same thing with the REVO and the LST or somthing...

StevePond
07-12-2004, 11:24 PM

Well, we've driven every other truck on the market up until that point, so it was in the running against every other truck that was in consideration for truck of the year.

MurcielagoR-GT
07-12-2004, 11:28 PM
How can you guys make the revo the truck of the year before you test it, before you test the LST and the Genisis and before the REVO even shipped. For the record i dont want to start an argument or anything, i just want a straight answer :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

They test all new cars before they come out!

dylan
07-12-2004, 11:47 PM
so if you tested it "a while ago" the lst, genisis werent out and they didnt have a fair shot, also can you give me a link to a review of a vehicle you didnt like... :mad: :mad: what do you think of this :D :D : Heres thread from a popular rc forum, and is not my work however i am compelled to agree...

This is the article in its entirety from page 24 of the June Radio Controlled Car Action Magazine. It is presented verbatim (word for word). It was written by the Executive Editor, Peter Vieira.

Now sit back and read the bullcrap.

ďJust in case you missed the cover, let me be the first to tell you that Traxxas has an all-new monster truck, and itís called, ďRevo.Ē Thatís ďRevoĒ as in ďrevolutionary,Ē and as Iím sure youíll agree, revolutionary is certainly a good word for the latest big thing to come out of Texas. With the Revo, the monster truck scene has hit a new technological peak. The last big spike on the evolutionary chart of monster tech was the T-Maxx Ė the first nitro monster to combine long-arm independent suspension, a lifted chassis, 2-speed transmission, transmitter controlled reverse and electric starting all in one package. Since then, monster tech has progressed slowly, mostly with variations on the T-Maxx formula. Some trucks such as the HPI Savage and Associated Monster GT, borrow freely from T-Maxx DNA. Others stuck with ďtruggyĒ configurations based on 1/8 scale buggies but added T-Maxx touchstones such as reversing transmissions and RTR packaging. A notable exception is Team Losi, which deserves praise for innovating new features with the LST (namely monster-specific, mega-size shocks and dual servo steering) to go with Maxx-inspired touches like reverse capability and a 2-speed transmission.
Not that thereís anything wrong with aping the T-Maxx. Given the T-Maxxís huge success, any competing brand would recognize that if itís customers want Maxx-style features. But itís time for monsters to evolve, and itís only fitting that the Traxxas, the company that started it all, is the company thatís stepping up. The Revo is here, and itís awesome. Everyone else has an even higher standard to shoot for. We canít wait to see what comes next!Ē

Now is it just me, or does anyone else see whats SERIOUSLY wrong with this article? This article is implying that Traxxas is the first to use long arm independent suspension, reverse capability, and a more than 1 speed transmission. Címon!!! These are all givens! If they hadnít used them first, then someone else surely would have. But what makes the statement bad is that they are actually claiming that they have originated these things. Correct me if im wrong, but didnít the Kyosho Nitro USA-1 have eight shocks and long arm independent suspension? Also, isnít that a given seeing that these MTís take serious abuse? Wasnít there a gazillion electrics before the T-maxx that used reverse and 2 and 3 speed transmissions? Didnít the Tamiya Mountaineer have 3 speeds? Also, a multiple speed transmission is only appropriate to use in a MT because of the serious speed and power that they put out. That is another given that Traxxas is boldly laying claim to. The audacity of Traxxas to lay claim to these things like they were innovative. They simply borrowed all their tech from electrics and was the first to the finish line to put it out on the market! They have hardly achieved anything with these so-called technological advances. Címon, who do they think they are fooling? Also, the author of this article said some completely blasphemous things. He praised the LST in one sentence saying that they were innovative with their huge shocks and dual servo steering, but then in the next breath (and without mentioning that the Revo copied off of the LSTís dual servo steering setup) said that the LST copied off of the T-Maxx by using reverse capability and a 2 speed transmission. I was floored by that statement. How could they lay claim to the 2 speed transmission and reverse? But then, what almost made me have a heart attack was when I read where he said that the ďHPI SavageÖ, borrowed freely from T-Maxx DNA.Ē How is this? When I look at a Savage and a T-Maxx, they look like two COMPLETELY different trucks. The main difference is that the Savage uses a TVP chassis setup where as the T-Maxx uses a flat pan, lifted style chassis. How dare they have the audacity to say that the Savage copied off of the T-Maxx in any way. Complete hogwash. Iíll admit, the Revo is a nice looking truck and all, but I donít at all see it as being revolutionary and I certainly donít think that Traxxas should be taking the credit for such simple things as a 2 speed transmission, reverse, and long arm independent suspension. I believe that RCCA is a completely Traxxas biased publication. I have been reading the last 7 or so issues of the magazine and have NEVER even see a Savage in the Readers Rides sections. Only T-Maxxís and more T-Maxxís pulling E-Maxxís on trailers.

What do you guys think of this?

(Pete here, hope you do mind me responding directly...otherwise my response would be woefully late, 4 pages away!

I didn't say Traxxas was first with all the features I listed, I said it was the first to combine ALL those features in one truck. The most under-appreciated innovator is Kyosho. The original QRC trucks are basically baby T-Maxxes. Their chassis/drivetrain layout, independent suspension, and reverse setup pre-date the T-Maxx by years! But the T-Maxx greatly refined those features and added even more. As for Traxxas "copying" Losi, that's impossible--the two companies couldn't have seen each other's trucks. It's just a case of independent, simultaneous innovation. Thanks for the well-considered post.

StevePond
07-13-2004, 12:04 AM
Ahhhhh, why did I know that this was going here. If you want to have an intelligent discussion, or even to just make your case as to why another truck would have been your choice, why don't you just say so and save the theatrics? Don't waste my time with the set-up, because regardless of my answers, you would have gone here anyway - total waste of time. Your motive is very transparent. You clearly like the Savage, you've already convinced yourself that we conspire to squash the Savage, and you are reading things into the articles that don't exist. What else is there to discuss?

You've been banned at least half a dozen times for violating the user agreement, but this time I'm going to give you the opportunity to show us how bright you are...

Knock yourself out and tell us all what you think should have been truck of the year.

tec_41
07-13-2004, 12:31 AM
^^lol thats great. Its almost impossible to have an intelligent disscussion on a forum without one person messing it all up.

kitty
07-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Some trucks such as the HPI Savage and Associated Monster GT, borrow freely from T-Maxx DNA.
They took bits of DNA and removed the faulty genes, perhaps. While I can see a lot of similarities between the MGT and the T-Maxx, I say that the Savage appears more related to an earlier Kyosho truck. I'm far from an expert on who came up with which feature first, but I feel way too much credit is being given to Traxxas in this case.

I realise that RCCA has a need to be positive in reviews of products so as not to chance never being given other products for review by manufacturers, thus being forced to wait until new products come out and purchase them outright. However, I do feel that when it comes to monster trucks, the T-Maxx has received more partial attention, which now likely will be handed down to the Revo.

So that no one interprets my opinion as being biased towards any particular manufacturer's products, from what I've read about the Revo, I am looking forward to seeing one in action, in person. My best friend is saving up for one and if I really like it, I will seriously consider buying one too. Thankfully, I do not have to appease manufacturers and can freely state my opinions without feeling duress of reprisal.

StevePond
07-13-2004, 01:11 AM
Kitty - you have your own biases, which are also clear. It's not a bad thing - people have their favorites and it can be for many reasons. I don't see why you're compelled however, to take a swipe at our credibility to make your point. Yes, the T-Maxx does get more attention - that's what happens when it's the best selling product on the market. We did it years ago with the RC10 buggy when it was the best selling vehicle, and the Tamiya Blackfoot before that. The bottom line is, if you see a product that's very popular in a given segment, you can go to any related magazine and find a concentration of topics related to that product. It's a simple formula practiced by virtually every magazine, radio show, TV show, or other form of media - a proportional focus on the subject matter that's most popular with the audience.

Getting on with the subject at hand, what's your preference for truck of the year if not the Revo and why?

BTW - the issue in which Truck of the Year is chosen is predetermined, and the LST and Genesis didn't make it under the wire for this past truck of the year, but will be in consideration for this year's truck of the year.

rocknbil
07-13-2004, 01:21 AM
Well from the viewpoint of someone who's never owned an MT, although I've had hands on and been able to drive and help tweak a few at the track, I can safely say I have a totally unbiased opinion here.

As has been said may times before, the title of the Revo is pretty fitting, in almost every area of it's design it is 100% revolutionary in the way it works. It's entirely possible it may not stand the test of time and abuse, chances are it may even turn out to be an Edsel, but for the innovations Traxxas put into it, why would there be any other choice?

It doesn't seem like the "Truck of the Year" should really have anything to do with speed or durability, like full-scale car shows, it's about innovation, right?

What other truck right now exhibits more innovation?

EDIT: I just re-read dylan's post. Not revolutionary? Who else has a monocoque chassis? An optidrive transmission that not only electronically shifts but prevents accidental reverse? Cantilevered suspension? Centrally mounted steel brake, did you check out that adjusting setup? Sealed drive train? ALL RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX?

Baja-Destroyer
07-13-2004, 01:28 AM
does some of the tamiyas like this one http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAWE0&P=ML have the original idea of the shock set up the revo has? and i think people should should drive or at least see the revo, lst, monster gt, ect... in person before making a serious opinion

StevePond
07-13-2004, 01:36 AM
Yes and no. Has cantilevers that had been used on other trucks before, but it's a totally different soild axle suspension design. Kinda off topic though. I'm still waiting for someone to tell us what they would have picked instead for truck of the year.

surfer
07-13-2004, 01:44 AM
hey steve,

this is off topic but can you email me please becasue i cant pm you and ive gotten no responses from the others admins. ive been having some account issueswith my original account.

thx

italiano_immortal@hotmail.com

C.J.OO
07-13-2004, 01:45 AM
C'mon Dylan Im still waiting to see how "Bright" you are...

C.J.OO
07-13-2004, 01:48 AM
Just for the Record I would have picked the REVO for RC MT of the year on the RCCA article alone..Ill probably never get to drive one...But Man Its the Nicest truck hands down..And im not even a Big Traxxas Fan...

DCLXVI
07-13-2004, 01:55 AM
Nice topic, Steve, it's really nice that you take your time answering people here...these kind of threads often get deleted quick...

(PS where are the stickers you promised me for finding the hidden forum?)

HauntedMyst
07-13-2004, 02:28 AM
I'm still waiting for someone to tell us what they would have picked instead for truck of the year.

I nominate the Tamiya Twin Detonator. With over 27 sold here in the USA, I'd say it's established a new level of dominance in the MT market!

http://www.hobbyworks.com/images/media/tam583091.jpg

rpmmaxxed
07-13-2004, 02:36 AM
Where the hell do you get 27? More like 6,000+

IMO opinion the Twin Detonator is a very under appreciated R/C in todays market.

kitty
07-13-2004, 03:10 AM
Pretty funny, Haunted. ;)

Steve, for me to make such a decision, I'd need a list to choose from, as well as criteria upon which to choose. I presume it would need to be one that has been released since the previous year's winner. In all honesty, I do not know when certain trucks were released. I'm not trying to dodge the question. I simply do not have enough information at hand to state my preference. I'll put myself in your proverbial shoes, though. You are very fortunate in that you have such great opportunities to review new RC products. If I had access to such, it's very likely that I too would have chosen the Revo.

Do you know offhand exactly how "Revo" is pronounced? When I first saw the name, the first thing that came to mind was "revolutionary," which I since have found to be the basis for the name. With that in mind, I would think it would be pronounced "REH-vo," though everyone I know says "REE-vo." Personally, though the latter is phonetic for the abbreviated version, Revo, it does sound better than the former when said.

As for the other part of your message, true, it is obvious to those who know me on this board and the other one you see me on that I am biased towards the Savage, at least when comparing it to the T-Maxx. I am, however, not biased towards any specific manufacturer. My favourite electric MT is made by Traxxas, and, as I mentioned previously in this thread, I am looking forward to seeing the Revo. I'm very much looking forward to seeing how well the electronic system on it works. If I like that aspect of the truck and I find it to be pretty durable, I very likely will buy one when I can afford it.

Skribble
07-13-2004, 03:29 AM
Where do I sign up for the electoral college?

SCHMACH
07-13-2004, 08:59 AM
why can't we be friends? why can't we be friends? why can't we be friends?
why can't we be friends? :D

dylan
07-13-2004, 12:47 PM
i didnt say that the revo was a bad choice, my super long post was from another forum, i just want to show you what OTHER people are saying. The Revo is a very cool truck and I am not saying that it was a bad chocie. I think that it was made prematurly. If the LST and Cen Genisis were given a chance then you can forget everything I've said. If the LST and Genisis and Tamyia TNX are given a fair shot than I am happy. For the record I do like the Savage and was very happy to see one in the Readers Rides in the issue I got today! Also for the record I havent been banned six times

dylan
07-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Steve, do you know if you will be able to put a sirio .23 in a revo?

traxxas-dude
07-13-2004, 01:07 PM
Steve, I totally agree with you, the Revo should be the truck of the year, it truly is revolutionary. I am looking forward to buying one myself. However, I do have one question. You said that the LST missed the cut off date for being a nominee(sp?) for this year...how can that be if the LST is already on the shelves and the REVO still hasnt been released? Not arguing, this just has me confused.

Also, I think this board should be a little stricter on letting previously banned people back on these boards. I've seen NUMEROUS people coming back, saying they did nothing wrong, and not even having a change their attitude.

Till Next time...

TBone77
07-13-2004, 01:25 PM
I think that it was made prematurly. If the LST and Cen Genisis were given a chance then you can forget everything I've said. If the LST and Genisis and Tamyia TNX are given a fair shot than I am happy.

See below:

BTW - the issue in which Truck of the Year is chosen is predetermined, and the LST and Genesis didn't make it under the wire for this past truck of the year, but will be in consideration for this year's truck of the year.

Farwar
07-13-2004, 01:41 PM
The revo has a unique design but to truly test to see which truck is the best, give each truck to a tester for a week and make them test them all together. So you race them, bash them and look them over. This would tell which would be stronger, faster, agile and "revolutionary" :o

P.S Everyone has their own opinions. Just relax.

savageP3
07-13-2004, 01:43 PM
now this is an unbiased opinion. i own a savage and im not totally happy with it so trust me this will be un biased.

everyone (including the guys at rcca) know that the tmaxx is not a strong truck which is why most people bash on it. it is true and you would need to put $100 into plastic parts to make it durable. but it has a strong tranny and
diffs-one thing the savage lacks. all trucks have their weak points, the tmaxx just has a few more than everyone else. dont ban me for this but we all think rcca gets a lot of money from traxxas to advertise traxxas products and thats what they do- give traxxas products good reviews. thats what all tv company's and magazines have to do. they get most of the money to keep the business going from advertisers and if they loose a big company they loose a lot of money. dont say that rcca doesnt like the savage-it tied for 2nd in this years monster truck shoot out. i say bravo to steve for keeping this thread going.

now that said i would too have chosen the revo as truck of the year since it is revolutionary. i do wonder though why you said the lst and genesis didnt make it when they were both out before the revo.

-Matt

Konneker
07-13-2004, 01:49 PM
After reading about all of the cutting-edge technology that has been incorporated in the REVO, I agree with RCCA's choice of Truck of the year. As tough as it is for me being an HPI fan, I gotta give props when props are due... and this truck is worthy of owning the "RCCA-TOTY" award. It is going to be exciting to see what new trucks (c'mon HPI) will be out in 2004 and 2005 to rival the REVO.

Steve, what criteria have to be met for you to consider a MT for "RCCA-TOTY"? When all candidiates have been selected, what basis are they judged on? (i.e tech break-through, customer acceptance/satisfaction, durability, enjoyment?)

rocknbil
07-13-2004, 01:57 PM
now this is an unbiased opinion. i own a savage and im not totally happy with it so trust me this will be un biased.
A negative bias is still a bias. :D

. . . i do wonder though why you said the lst and genesis didnt make it when they were both out before the revo.

The same issue they reviewed the Revo they had "Hot Summer Tips" (I still wonder why comments about the model didn't show up here :rolleyes: ) and the Genisis got a mention there, and for pricing it said something to the effect too new for retail price - I don't think it was available yet.

Is it even really out yet? I tell you I am seriously wanting to look into the Genesis, it looks pretty cool. :D

traxxas-dude
07-13-2004, 02:06 PM
Hey rocknbil, be careful with the genesis...there is alot of contraversy going on about the engine...it appears CEN themselves do not know the proper way to break in the engine. They acctually Contradict themselves in the Genesis thread.

rocknbil
07-13-2004, 02:19 PM
I said I was **looking** at it. I also anticipate any in-depth future reviews. It's unlikely in the near future that I could afford half the money it requires to actually own one, or the Revo for that matter. hahaha :D

I just love this stuff too much. Like the beauty queen you can never date. LOL!!

TBone77
07-13-2004, 02:19 PM
i do wonder though why you said the lst and genesis didnt make it when they were both out before the revo.

They may have hit retail shelves before the Revo, but the Revo may have had a production prototype available at the time of the article, whereas the LST and Genesis may not have.

Just a possible explanation.

dylan
07-13-2004, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by StevePond

I am happy :) :) Please disregard everything I have said, but does anyone know if you can put a sirio .23 in the revo ;)

traxxas-dude
07-13-2004, 02:34 PM
It should be able to, I mean, it replaces the 2.5, which is basically what the Revo uses., so I would think so, yes.

dylan
07-13-2004, 02:36 PM
the only thing that makes me question the abliity to do it would be that the motor in the revo is banked

RespirologyRC
07-14-2004, 01:09 AM
After looking at some of the traxxas videos on their website. I couldn't help but wonder how many trucks did traxxas use in their super jump vid? That truck flies soo high, one has to wonder if it really breaks on impact. If you notice the vid kind-of stops and restarts allover again; this gives me the impression that the revo broke and anotherone was thrown in their to make it look as though it was in one piece

Baja-Destroyer
07-14-2004, 01:15 AM
lol same here i watched most of the videos and its kinda hard to believe that in all the videos they took not one piece broke but i think the revo looks pretty good in the videos but i know it wont be on my christmas list lol

RespirologyRC
07-14-2004, 01:19 AM
Traxxas-dude, I feel that people are owed second chances! :) And why would anyone want to live in a society where they are going to be editted and spoken for? Yes I was banned. My user name was RespiratoryRC, and now I am RespirologyRC. I believe I was kicked of the board many months ago because I started a thread that complained about the content of a certain annual I bought. Where was the fainess in that? I didn't cuss anyone nor did I do anything other than discuss an issue that was hopefully promoting better, more indepth writing for future articles. But then again this time around; I started a thread on compressed air. And it too was deleted because the content of the thread was too provacative to this forum! Not for nothing but if the people governing this thread are going to edit and delete stuff it should be material that others find offensive, racist remarks, name calling, descrimination and other similar offenses. But for them to delete a thread because it discussed the possibility that a supercharger could work on a two strole engine is ridiculous!! Then why don't these same people stop advertising superchargers in their mags? Either way I enjoy using this forum but when stuff like this occurs it is disturbing and makes me wonder if this is worth it!!!

RespirologyRC
07-14-2004, 01:22 AM
I can't wait to recieve my Revo (mid August) and hopefully that Sirio .23 will be ready!

MurcielagoR-GT
07-14-2004, 01:23 AM
Traxxas-dude, I feel that people are owed second chances! :) And why would anyone want to live in a society where they are going to be editted and spoken for? Yes I was banned. My user name was RespiratoryRC, and now I am RespirologyRC. I believe I was kicked of the board many months ago because I started a thread that complained about the content of a certain annual I bought. Where was the fainess in that? I didn't cuss anyone nor did I do anything other than discuss an issue that was hopefully promoting better, more indepth writing for future articles. But then again this time around; I started a thread on compressed air. And it too was deleted because the content of the thread was too provacative to this forum! Not for nothing but if the people governing this thread are going to edit and delete stuff it should be material that others find offensive, racist remarks, name calling, descrimination and other similar offenses. But for them to delete a thread because it discussed the possibility that a supercharger could work on a two strole engine is ridiculous!! Then why don't these same people stop advertising superchargers in their mags? Either way I enjoy using this forum but when stuff like this occurs it is disturbing and makes me wonder if this is worth it!!!
You better watch it or you will be banned again! :D

RespirologyRC
07-14-2004, 01:27 AM
Traxxas Revo truck of the year; for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

RespirologyRC
07-14-2004, 01:28 AM
Revo!Revo!Revo!Revo!Revo:)

Speedtester
07-14-2004, 01:43 AM
I can't wait to recieve my Revo (mid August) and hopefully that Sirio .23 will be ready!

I hope you buy a lot of extra gears because your going to need them. I think the Revo is going to be a great truck but putting a .21 or larger motor in it is going to rip it apart.

RespirologyRC
07-14-2004, 01:49 AM
Traxxas makes it sound as though the electronic transmission will make it a smooth engagement and not a jolt of power, but I can't tell you because I don't have it yet!?:)

Speedtester
07-14-2004, 02:08 AM
Umm, I think thats only for the reverse/brake mechanics not the power outputed by the motor. Im sure the slipper will help if it doesnt melt first.

Traxxas makes it sound as though the electronic transmission will make it a smooth engagement and not a jolt of power, but I can't tell you because I don't have it yet!?:)

traxxas-dude
07-14-2004, 02:10 AM
Respirology, I wasnt pointing fingers. :)

And ive seen the movie of the revo as well, but all looks well, I mean, all the shadows match up and everything...They prolly just kept jumping untill they had a truck that didnt break, and use that as the jump vid. :D

and from the looks of it, the 2.5R can really move that truck around with authority, I cant imagine a .23 in it. :eek: :D

rocknbil
07-14-2004, 04:36 AM
... I started a thread on compressed air. And it too was deleted because the content of the thread was too provacative to this forum!...

Haven been around here for a long time, I have an impression for why they do what they do here, not that I would profess to "know." I doubt the provocativeness of that thread was why it was deleted, at least not in the context you think. That thread was most likely deleted because it just annoyed too many people. The image of the air compressor cabled into the RC . . lol . . I thought that was priceless . . .

Skribble
07-14-2004, 04:38 AM
Traxxas makes it sound as though the electronic transmission will make it a smooth engagement and not a jolt of power, but I can't tell you because I don't have it yet!?:)Helicopters use the same system. If they didn't have instant power, I'm pretty sure Heli's would be a lot harder to fly, even though they're hard enough right now.

RespirologyRC
07-14-2004, 05:41 AM
Well the new Sirio seems like it is built for the revo. Maybe I am interpreting this to too much, but I think Sirio saw the revo and understood the success that the t-maxx had and decided that it would be worth it to build an enigne specific to the revo. Much like how they builded the .18 sirio for the t-maxx. The slipper looks like it can handle a boat load of heat and torque

sofa
07-14-2004, 07:45 AM
Guys, Mr. Pond has explained that THEY (RCCA) were not able to do a test drive on the LST or Cen. Thats why they wernt able to be considered. How clearer does it need to be?

Of all the contenders the REVO was the clear choice.

QUAKE&SHAKE
07-14-2004, 08:12 AM
What truck was runner-up?

traxxas-dude
07-14-2004, 08:14 AM
I dont think there is a runner up...I think they pick which they think is best, and thats that. :)

Beniscool6
07-14-2004, 03:05 PM
why not the Associated T4??? its been winning races like crazy, you can do almost anything you want with it, race it or bash it!

It costs far less than most cars out there. theres a RTR, a regular version, and a full blown factory team version. heck, billy easton won the WORLDs with a completely stock B4 with the exceptions of tie rods!!!

(i do realize they are different types of cars, but pretty much the same and that trucks dont race in the worlds. its just an example of the ability of the platform)

it has everything the revo qualified for, so why not???

KTRTS
07-14-2004, 04:26 PM
I think they're on about monster trucks ;)

Beniscool6
07-14-2004, 04:45 PM
so, its TRUCK of the year, not monster truck of the year. i think the T3 has won it before too

Skribble
07-14-2004, 08:46 PM
Guys, Mr. Pond has explained that THEY (RCCA) were not able to do a test drive on the LST or Cen. Thats why they wernt able to be considered. How clearer does it need to be?

Of all the contenders the REVO was the clear choice.I'm assuming the RCCA crew is the electoral college. ;]

I thought the whole "Car/Truck/Etc. of the Year" was based on the ballots? Or am I wrong? Or is it all about the under/behind the back stuff?

(Pete here. The Readers Choice Awards are determined entirely by readers votes. COY and TOY are chosen by the editors and have nothing to do with the readers picks. That doesn't mean we can't or won't pick a vehicle as COY/TOY that was also a Readers Choice winner, but there is no special consideration for winners in the COT/TOY voting.

RespirologyRC
07-14-2004, 08:50 PM
Maybe RCCA should just do a " Truck shootout story" where they pit the Revo against the LST and have each truck perform and see which did better in all the catergories.

MurcielagoR-GT
07-14-2004, 09:03 PM
Maybe RCCA should just do a " Truck shootout story" where they pit the Revo against the LST and have each truck perform and see which did better in all the catergories.

Good idea! That would solve everyone's question who do/don't think the Revo is better than the LST!

Chris LaPanse
07-14-2004, 10:36 PM
They've done that before with the T-Maxx vs. various opponenets. The T-Maxx always wins, but people still keep bashing on it saying how terrible it is.

rocknbil
07-15-2004, 03:42 AM
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN . . .

It's been a tough decision to make, there were lots of very close runner-ups and our panel had a really tough time, but we're proud to announce that this month's Dead Horse award goes to . . . .

This thread.
:D

surfer
07-15-2004, 04:05 AM
lol

hi bil

Skribble
07-15-2004, 06:58 AM
They've done that before with the T-Maxx vs. various opponenets. The T-Maxx always wins, but people still keep bashing on it saying how terrible it is.Those test are nothing like real world thrashings. Especially the way the point system is setup.

RespirologyRC
07-15-2004, 07:24 AM
Hey that's not true. I read an article about the t-maxx vs the ofna pirate monster, and one of the contes was to see who could pull the writer (who was sitting in a radio flyer wagon) the furthest. I thought that was pretty cool. The pirate won that one!! Although I would like to see this I think the engines in the revo and the lst are too different from one another. But it would be cool to read!!!!!!!!

racersnow2
07-15-2004, 07:31 AM
in my opinion the revo is in a different class then all other monster trucks out there, I beleive the revo was built to race, the rest are built to do what monster trucks do best, run things over. not saying the rest are not fast or faster just a different truck that is why traxxas is sticking with a .15 in it.

StevePond
07-15-2004, 07:44 AM
Those test are nothing like real world thrashings. Especially the way the point system is setup.

What's that supposed to mean? Please tell me you're not being one of those "I can't trust anything they say because they didn't pick my car/truck" lemmings...

Cain
07-15-2004, 01:04 PM
I would need to see the testing articles first before making a comment. What issue was this done in?

As for the Revo vs LST, initial opinions I have read from people who own both or have driven both seem to lean that the LST is the better monster truck of the two and appears like it would be more durable. The Revo though as one person described it seems like half buggy / half truck as if traxxas couldn't make up there mind what to make. Not my words. They say though they can see it doing well at the race track.

Also, the LST shocks are bigger than you believe.

Steve, any idea on when you will have a review of the Academy SB out?

dylan
07-15-2004, 02:44 PM
the academy sb review is in the september issue

Beniscool6
07-15-2004, 03:27 PM
I beleive the revo was built to race

how was the revo built to race? it has reverse and prolly weighs a ton.

MurcielagoR-GT
07-15-2004, 06:27 PM

After thoroughly checking out and staring at my own Revo. I can honestly say this truck was designed to race! You have to see it in person to really understand why they designed and built it the way they did (inboard shocks, dual steering servos, optidrive system)! Just b/c it has reverse does not make it a racer. :rolleyes: And it weighs 9.5lbs. I don't know how this compares to others. Half of the CEN Genisis. :D

Revo Pics! (http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173475)

Beniscool6
07-15-2004, 07:28 PM
no monster trucks are truely built for racing. if they were, they would look like a GT or XXX-NT

dylan
07-15-2004, 07:31 PM
it was designed to race, but that doesnt mean it will win any. JK :D

DerekB
07-16-2004, 01:47 AM

Of all the contenders the REVO was the clear choice.

Not to burst...okay to burst a bubble. Since the LST was driven (so the article says) In April of 2004 and the REVO was driven in June 2004 (Both trucks on the covers, both pre-production) and the TOY wasn't until the September issue, I seem to miss how the LST wasn't given the same shake.

Not that I disagree with the REVO being awesome, just the math is slightly out of whack in my eyes?

NitroBoy24
07-16-2004, 01:50 AM
What's that supposed to mean? Please tell me you're not being one of those "I can't trust anything they say because they didn't pick my car/truck" lemmings...

Some people just have different standards of what "bashing" an r/c is.

Like flash and myself for instance :p

StevePond
07-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Not to burst...okay to burst a bubble. Since the LST was driven (so the article says) In April of 2004 and the REVO was driven in June 2004 (Both trucks on the covers, both pre-production) and the TOY wasn't until the September issue, I seem to miss how the LST wasn't given the same shake.

Not that I disagree with the REVO being awesome, just the math is slightly out of whack in my eyes?

Thanks for weighing in on this Derek, realy shows a lot of class on your part... </sarcasm> ;)

For the benefit of everyone else because Derek already knows this, Truck of the year was announced at RCX in late April. Team Losi and other manufacturers were not able to provide production trucks because it was before the trucks were ready. The LST and others will simply be in the running for this year's Truck of the Year.

(Pete notes: We didn't pick TOY any earlier to suit the RCX schedule. We had to make the pick in that time frame because of the magazine production schedule. When it worked out that we would have the picks in time to announce them at the first RCX show, we decided to make it a regular part of RCX. So, each year, we'll announce the winners at RCX--unless the show schedule changes)

traxxas-dude
07-16-2004, 08:01 AM
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN . . .

It's been a tough decision to make, there were lots of very close runner-ups and our panel had a really tough time, but we're proud to announce that this month's Dead Horse award goes to . . . .

This thread.

Wow, I lauged for a long time over that'n. :D Thats great...

Geez Bill, 8K posts...you're #1 man. :p

Windsorguy99
07-16-2004, 08:21 AM
I'm not certain on the methodology used for their shootouts..but it would appear that in the larger shootouts that the vehicles are rated by different people.

I don't want to waste time pulling up my old MT shootout...but I was a little frustrated when I saw the Savage blasted as being slow and another truck being praised as fast with the same top speed...

Than being said...having held both a Revo and an LST in my hands yesterday it wouldn't have mattered if the LST was available...the Revo pictures and video really don't do it justice..it seemed very substantial and solid, yet sleek and low slung, while still having lost of ground clearance...

The LST appears fat and bloated..but isn't as heavy as it looks...the plastic content is higher than the pictures would lead you to believe..but the appearance and finish of the plastics look and feel cheap and cheesy.

I had thought that both trucks looked goode enough that it would be a tough decision....but there was no contest..the Revo totally wowwed me...Everyone is concerned about whether you can put a big block into a Revo...you don't HAVE to...

If you're not a fan of the 2.5 (which according to the RCCA 5 hot engines article has an incredibly narrow range where torque and rpm are available) you can put in a proven race calibre .12, .15 or other small block...removing the EZ-start and reverse if you want to race will trim the truck reportedly to 7 lbs...This truck will find a home on the track...Hopefully Traxxas did durability testing on this truck so that their bulkheads don't self destruct on impact like the Maxx does at times...

IF it proves durable..the Revo will be a force to be reckoned with for a long time.

To those that are waiting to pile on the durability issue and praise the big, brawny LST...it's still unproven as well and Losi durability isn't exactly legendary either.

racersnow2
07-16-2004, 10:40 AM
what truck are we doing a weight comperison to? a electric rustler? the truck looks to be built lean and mean, as far as the reverse etc. well of course traxxas is going to market the truck with easy operating items including easy start, rtr beginer's is where they found there nitch, and by the way I own NO traxxas vehicles. Just glad to see another new car coming out. and while we are speaking of reverse issues associated seams to think it is a important item on the monster gt.

Beniscool6
07-16-2004, 12:15 PM
i just dont like it when companies like traxxas claiming their monster truck is built for racing. its ok if it isnt, but dont say that it has a low center of gravity built for racing, but it sits way up in the air. its not race if it has a ez-start, reverse, and a engine thats too small for .21 and too big for .12-.15.

its ok for a truck to have these things like associated, but dont say its a race car, because it obviously isnt.

you cant give a truck "truck of the year" because it looks sweet. in my opinion, they should have more than 1 truck of the year, and have 2 different catagories. one for monster truck and one for a not a monster truck. its like compairing apples and oranges

07-16-2004, 01:25 PM
Lets not let your bias get in the way of sound judgement. The Revo is CLEARLY more designed for racing than any other monster truck on the market. The savage is the only truck that doesn't have reverse and its a pig out of the box. Monster trucks are raced all the time and the Revo looks much more capable of racing than any of the other monster trucks. I would definitely say that Traxxas is justified in claiming that this truck is a capable racer. Just because the Revo doesn't fit with your narrow minded view of what a racing truck should be doesn't make it so. Almost all monster trucks have reverse and electric start and even the T-Maxx smokes all the bigger trucks in acceleration and all but one in top speed. BTW the trx 2.5 IS a .15 engine, so you don't know what you're talking about.

I have finally seen the Revo in person and I am very impressed with the truck. Once you see it you'll know its definitely not hype that it won truck of the year.

Windsorguy99
07-16-2004, 01:31 PM
Consider that ground clearance is a necessity of a monster truck...considering t hat grouund clearance must be maintained...I can't see what else Traxxas could have done to lower the center of gravity.

Traxxas has also made the truck adaptable so you're not limited to pull-starts..somethign previously only found on truggies...

As far as MT racing goes...the Revo will be very capable on the track it has low weight and a low CG for a MONSTER...remember...you're not comparing the CG to that of a touring car...

I suppose that Nascar should say that they are race cars either since their center of gravity is soo much higher than F1?

Go o to your local track..or any track running monster trucks..you'll fine lots of trucks running that still have the EX-start and reverse on it...although they are normally ditched as people get more into the racing...The Revo was designed for the terrain that it would be used on..and that includes the race track.

The displacement of the engine doesn't matter..it's all about power to weight ratio..and when you strip the Revo down to a pure race chassis it's several pounds lighter than the competition..with an engine whose peak power output is nearly the same...

You also have the capability of adding a RACE engine to the Revo, something again that you can only do with a truggy...and yes...the Mammoth is a Truggy...a big truggy..but still a truggy :P

I suppose that Nascar should say that they are race cars either since their center of gravity is soo much higher than F1?

PeterV
07-16-2004, 01:40 PM
For the record, the April 2004 issue's Losi LST "First Look" (not a "First Drive") only describes what Jason Sams saw when Losi demonstrated the LST for him. Jason even says, "I didn't get the opportunity to handle the trigger myself" and asks "so when do we get to drive one?" Also, the LST in that article was not final production, and we didn't even have all the info on what features the truck was going to have. We had plenty of info to say, "This thing is gonna be cool," but nowhere near enough to say "Truck of the Year." The LST will certainly be a front-runner in next year's TOY battle. Likewise, we only just reviewed the Genesis, so it was never in contention for 2004 TOY--but it will be in 2005.

Basically, anything we've tested since the previous year's COY/TOY issue is in the running for the current year's COY/TOY award (assuming the tested vehicle represents a production-spec car or truck). As for "what makes a winner," it can be popularity, innovation, performance, value... . The ideal choice would be superlative in ALL those areas, but even if a vehicle excels in only one of those categories, but is incredibly strong in that category, that could make it COY or TOY. In the case of the Revo, it scores highly on performance and innovation, durability looks good based on our testing, and it should be a sales hit--but even if it flops, I stand by our pick based on performance and innovation alone.

At the end of the day, it's the editors' choice, and its about what excites us. It's not a shootout or a scientific test based on sales versus time in the market (by that sort of criteria, you'd see Toyota Camrys winning every full-scale "of the year" award). And you can disagree with our pick! We're not worried about reflecting popular opinion or sales success. If our pick jibes with popular opinion, that's fine, and if it doesn't, that's fine too.

...but you should reserve final judgement until you drive the Revo!

DerekB
07-16-2004, 02:43 PM
For the record, the April 2004 issue's Losi LST "First Look" (not a "First Drive") only describes what Jason Sams saw when Losi demonstrated the LST for him. Jason even says, "I didn't get the opportunity to handle the trigger myself" and asks "so when do we get to drive one?" Also, the LST in that article was not final production, and we didn't even have all the info on what features the truck was going to have. We had plenty of info to say, "This thing is gonna be cool," but nowhere near enough to say "Truck of the Year." The LST will certainly be a front-runner in next year's TOY battle. Likewise, we only just reviewed the Genesis, so it was never in contention for 2004 TOY--but it will be in 2005.

Basically, anything we've tested since the previous year's COY/TOY issue is in the running for the current year's COY/TOY award (assuming the tested vehicle represents a production-spec car or truck). As for "what makes a winner," it can be popularity, innovation, performance, value... . The ideal choice would be superlative in ALL those areas, but even if a vehicle excels in only one of those categories, but is incredibly strong in that category, that could make it COY or TOY. In the case of the Revo, it scores highly on performance and innovation, durability looks good based on our testing, and it should be a sales hit--but even if it flops, I stand by our pick based on performance and innovation alone.

At the end of the day, it's the editors' choice, and its about what excites us. It's not a shootout or a scientific test based on sales versus time in the market (by that sort of criteria, you'd see Toyota Camrys winning every full-scale "of the year" award). And you can disagree with our pick! We're not worried about reflecting popular opinion or sales success. If our pick jibes with popular opinion, that's fine, and if it doesn't, that's fine too.

...but you should reserve final judgement until you drive the Revo!

That's a much better answer :)

MurcielagoR-GT
07-16-2004, 02:55 PM
i just dont like it when companies like traxxas claiming their monster truck is built for racing. its ok if it isnt, but dont say that it has a low center of gravity built for racing, but it sits way up in the air. its not race if it has a ez-start, reverse, and a engine thats too small for .21 and too big for .12-.15.

its ok for a truck to have these things like associated, but dont say its a race car, because it obviously isnt.

you cant give a truck "truck of the year" because it looks sweet. in my opinion, they should have more than 1 truck of the year, and have 2 different catagories. one for monster truck and one for a not a monster truck. its like compairing apples and oranges

Just curious, do you have a REVO? B/c if you look at this truck upclose you will see it was built more for racing. No other truck is built more to race than the REVO. If they built it like an all out racer like a XXX-NT. It would not be a monster truck. They went as far as they can go designing it to race and still be easily recongnized as a monster truck!

If they did build it like a stadium truck everyone would still be mad, saying it is just a big xxx-nt and they took their overall chassis design.

You just can't make people happy these days! :rolleyes: :D

Beniscool6
07-16-2004, 04:17 PM

i would say they arent race cars if they were lifted 5 feet in the air. its like compairing grave digger to a ferrari F1. i would be complaining too if losi claimed their XXX-NT was a monster truck

ok though, the REVO may be racey compaired to MONSTER TRUCKS, but it is nothign compared to a real race car

kitty
07-16-2004, 05:25 PM
PeterV, thank you very much for the well-written, professional response. What you wrote managed to clear up at least one issue, along with being very informative, all without resorting to an attempt to goad someone into a change of opinion by asking them if they are a lemming. It's one thing for a general member to resort to such a tactic, but in my opinion, a person with higher authority would be better off taking the higher ground in such a situation.

A little FYI to those not involved in producing RCCA, or any magazine for that matter:

A lot of people do not understand that the writers and editors of RCCA have to prepare issues months in advance. They need time to put everything together in time for those in charge of doing the layout, while still trying to provide accuracy in their articles. Last-minute changes mean at least a month before the issue comes out; the magazine has to be ready to go to press long before we, the readers, see it in our mailboxes or on the shelves of stores. There inevitably is a bit of shuffling around that needs to be done to update articles or switch some things around in order to get the latest information possible to us. I give kudos to the crew who does the layout and graphics work; they're often the ones under the most pressure to get an issue ready.

I just thought I'd toss that in here so that those who don't know how the magazine press business works can get the gist of the interworkings of getting our favourite reads on the shelves or in our mailboxes. I think they do a pretty darned good job trying to keep up with the pace of introducing new products and changes to existing ones. Sometimes we get spoiled by the internet, where we can get information much faster, but it really is nice to have a spiffy hard copy to put on the bookshelf once it's been read.

OldskoolGT
07-16-2004, 05:47 PM
i would say they arent race cars if they were lifted 5 feet in the air. its like compairing grave digger to a ferrari F1. i would be complaining too if losi claimed their XXX-NT was a monster truck

Grave Digger and other monster trucks were built for racing. That makes them race cars. They just happen to have a lot of ground clearance.

MurcielagoR-GT
07-16-2004, 05:59 PM
How about we close this thread! :D

THIS IS THE END OF THE THREAD, NO MORE POSTS! ;)

OldskoolGT
07-16-2004, 06:13 PM
I think this thread should keep going.

PeterV
07-16-2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks Kitty. You forgot to mention that balancing a PC on your knees while you're in the bathroom is REALLY inconvenient (gotta get me one of them new-fangled laptop machines...)

I'm with Oldskool. If you guys wanna talk about what YOU would have picked for TOY, go for it; that's exactly the type of discussion TOY is meant to provoke. We don't expect everyone to agree with us! It's only when it's in the context of "RCCA must be on the take/stupid/have a secret agenda/etc" that we get justifiably defensive.

So, if you wanna plead your case for the Monster GT, Genesis, Savage 25, or whatever, go for it!

surfer
07-16-2004, 07:41 PM
woo...go peterv

rocknbil
07-16-2004, 07:41 PM
^ ^ ^ So then, what you are saying is the Revo is RCCA's choice for truck of the year. Not a contest. Not a marketing survey or a vote. Not a points comparison or "shootout" based on features, benchmarks or tests. An editorial.

Which is what magazines do. Cool. :D

How about we close this thread!
Only one question, how ya liking that new Revo, probably the first on this board to own one huh? :D

Baja-Destroyer
07-16-2004, 10:36 PM
this thread is arguing about what truck should be truck of the year but the revo won its over better luck next year

surfer
07-16-2004, 10:43 PM
ya i got $ on he revo...just look it at it compared to lst

lst is a bulky and big basher

revo is small light and made to race, and win. especially COY