PDA

View Full Version : Air cleaner help......

bullmastiff
07-14-2004, 11:11 AM
I just purchased a duratrax high flow air cleaner. My question is the opening at the base of the air cleaner isn't big enough to go over the carb. inlet and there's no base with it to be able to attach it. Plus there would be no place to zip tie it.

Do I have to buy the base seperately? The air filter from duratrax is the flat topped black one with the offset base.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Bryan

rocknbil
07-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Do you mean this one (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD511&P=0)?

From what I can tell, that looks like rubber, correct? A new air filter is going to be a VERY tight fit, even a Motor Saver looks like it's not going to go at first. Try just a touch of oil around the inside of the filter when you try to put it on to convince it it needs to cooperate. :D Then get one edge of the filter on the outside of the carb, and with a roundy-push motion, begin working it over the carb inlet so is stretches the filter base.

bullmastiff
07-14-2004, 12:04 PM
Yeah that's the one. The only thing I thought was that it sat awfully close tot he carb and the head. I was just wondering if I should use a extender tube to lift it up a little?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Bryan

rocknbil
07-14-2004, 02:04 PM
If it's not touching anything and you can get it in, no, you should be fine. Even if it's "slightly" touching the head it shouldn't be a problem unless your engine overheats and melts it.

bullmastiff
07-14-2004, 04:28 PM
Thanks allot for your help.

Bryan