PDA

View Full Version : Help with glo plug igniter

mach-5
07-14-2004, 12:41 PM
I am new to this hobby and what the hell is a glo plug igniter? :confused:

RCHavok797
07-14-2004, 12:52 PM
You use it to ignite a glow plug on a nitro vehicle which allows the engine to start the combusion process and therefore start running.

mach-5
07-14-2004, 12:54 PM
So in other words you have to ignite the glo plug before you start the vehicle.

rocknbil
07-14-2004, 01:59 PM
hehe. Welcome aboard Mach! :D

First, understand how "glow" engines work: they burn on a mixture of (approximately) 60-70% wood alcohol (methanol,) 10% or more nitromethane, and 14-18% lubricants. The "spark plug" is called a glow plug. It has a tiny coil in it made of thin wire. Once the coil glows hot enough to burn the alcohol/nitro mixture, a catalytic action between the alcohol/nitro mix keeps it glowing red hot and keeps the engine running.

To get this process going, a glow starter with a 1.2 - 1.5 volt sub C size battery cell is connected to the glow plug and the resistance of the coil causes it to glow a bright yellow-red, hot enough to start the engine.

Here is a pic of one (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLN91&P=ML).

The little "meter" at the top of these is **supposed** to just let you know you have a good connection to the glow coil. The glow starter is applied to the plug with a slight push-twist and is removed as soon as it gets running.

traxxas-dude
07-14-2004, 02:03 PM
Yeah, those meters hardly ever work... :rolleyes:

BTW, his name is Speed Racer, his car is Mach 5! :D ;)

They also have clamp style glow ignitors. :)

mach-5
07-15-2004, 10:08 PM
Thanks alot I was really in a hole on glo plugs! :D