PDA

View Full Version : tuned pipe?

twood
07-16-2004, 12:22 AM
i'm relatively new to nitrocars and wanted to know if a tuned pipe would help out your car's performance and if so does it matter what pipe you use as long as it fits your engines size?

nitroguy2001
07-16-2004, 12:55 AM
yes the pipe can make a big difference in the engines performance. They are 'tuned' to certian rpm ranges. there is no right or wrong choice, for the hardcore racer a slight power increase at say the top end for example can be key. but for bashing and just having fun there really isnt a wrong choice, just ask you local hobby shop if you really want to change.

twood
07-20-2004, 02:06 PM
what is the difference between torque tuned and rpm tuned? :confused:

rocknbil
07-20-2004, 02:58 PM
Welcome aboard man. :D

This is really a complex issue. Google the web for "tuned pipe" or "tuned pipes" - there are some VERY technical articles out there on tuned pipe expiramentation. The idea of a tuned pipe was first expiramented with in motorcycle racing. What they found was that the actual sound waves reverberating in the exhaust pipe, combined with the backpressure caused by the pipe, could have a positive or negative effect on engine performance at various areas of the power band. Hence an entire science of "tuning" the pipe - finding the right combination of length, width, shape, and other factors to tune a pipe for a given engine - has emerged.

The general rule of thumb (experts, feel free to correct me if I'm remembering this wrong today :D ) is that shorter, fatter pipes enhance low end and hence torque, and longer thinner ones enhance high end. This is one of the reasons you will almost always see a long skinny one on an airplane or boat. For the purpose of our RC's, of course . . . you WANT BOTH!!!! :D

It will vary from engine to engine and is not an exact science. Most drivers want a pipe that provides a good balance between torque and high end power.