PDA

View Full Version : Just ordered

jjmag26
07-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Hey guys, I just ordered a hpi rs43 and this is my first onroad car. Can anybody tell me if I made a good choice and/or some things I need to know before running it. Just ordered it this morning and can't wait for it to get here.
Thanks, Jason

jjmag26
07-22-2004, 05:00 PM
no one has an opinion or any advice for me? oh well

RAYMAN1OO7
07-22-2004, 05:18 PM
its a pretty good car, i really like them, but people say they arent good for racing because the handling isnt nearly as good as some of the other brands out there, but its not meant to be, thats why hpi has the r40, thats their compentition car. but yes, you made a good choice, that and the tc3 rtr are my 2 favorite rtr nitro touring cars. HPI is sweet, and hpi cars are good because now when you pick out one of HPI's many many bodies, all you have to do is drill where the dimples are in the body and its a perfect fit, thats what i like about hpi and their bodies. if you had any other car, you have to line up the body yourself and mark the holes.

jjmag26
07-22-2004, 05:42 PM
Thanks for replying I can't wait to get it. Is there any special breakin that I should know about and are they put together well from the factory or should I tear down and go through it before running. One more ? is the 2 speed easy to dial in? Thanks for any advice.

RC10racer89
07-22-2004, 10:32 PM
In general I find that RTR's are really well built, and no take down is in order. They really are RTR (except for break in) As far as break in, I suggest running 7-10 tanks on just the idle setting, letting the engine cool down between tanks. After that I usually do another 5 tanks of 1/4-1/2 throttle figure 8's. There are many differen't opinions on how to break in engines, but this has always worked well for me. When in doubt, use the factory suggested break in, but add another 2 or 3 tanks of fuel to the process. I find that the factory suggested methods rarely work all that well, but if you add some extra time to get more fuel through your engine, it will work better and longer :)

jgrs4
07-23-2004, 10:13 AM
I would check and make sure the engine screws, that hold the engine to the chassis has thread lock on them. I have 2- HPI RS4 3 SS's and I am very happy with them i think you will like that kit, have fun. :D

rc addict
07-26-2004, 12:32 AM
hey jjmag whats up,
i have some advide, check the needle settings and tune it correctly so it wont bog out on you. also, you made a perfect choice if you are new to the hobby and want to race on the street or in parking lots. there are plenty of option parts for that part. car. if you want to race track, thats not exactly the car you need, more like a team associated ntc3 factory team kit. these run more expensive though and are harder to maintain. they can only be run at the track and not as a streetmachine. it really all depends on what you like and what your needs are. as long as you are happy with your car, you have made the right choice. if you arent, just try to do some research next time if you didnt last.
peace,
rc addict

p.s. i have (had) a nitro 4tec which exploded like last week due to a fuel tubing accident, i had to get away from the wreckage because the cylinder case exploded and fuel got everywhere and things flew, literally. i couldve died you know... be careful out there...

jjmag26
07-26-2004, 04:16 PM
I can't wait it will be here wednesday. Can someone tell me what receiver pack will fit in it so I can go ahead and order it and have it on it's way. Thanks again for any and all advice.

rc addict
07-26-2004, 07:58 PM
i would think you would need a 5 cell receiver pack. if you want a good one. www.rc10.com/reedy should have i nice 5 cell, just go to battery packs :cool:

-rc addict

rc addict
07-26-2004, 07:59 PM
my bad there is no "battery pack section, its called "batteries". i dont want to confuse you. :)

jjmag26
07-27-2004, 12:19 AM
I'm just wondering if 20% odonnel fuel http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD535&P=0 is a good fuel for this car because none of my local hobby shops carry the 20% hpi power fuel. I know this is probably a stupid question but there are so many different fuel combinations out there it gets a little confusing. Thanks

Nikon
07-27-2004, 03:33 AM
thats what i use and i have no problems with it.

Cain
07-27-2004, 07:31 AM
make sure to threadlock any screws that thread into metal. Not sure if they do this for you with the vehicle so better safe than sorry.

KronicRacer
07-27-2004, 04:06 PM
make sure to have a new set of tires handy. the stock tires are only good for the first 5 feet. after that they make like a nascar tire and loose grip :D

rocknbil
07-27-2004, 04:22 PM
....i have (had) a nitro 4tec which exploded like last week due to a fuel tubing accident, ...the cylinder case exploded and fuel got everywhere and things flew, literally.....

WOW. Do you know exactly what happened, was it the fuel exploding or you broke a rod and it just hit just the right way? What percentage of nitro were you running? Got pics?

This hobby CAN be dangerous enough with overcharged and exploding batteries and guys starting up without their radios on and whatnot - post some pics and details!

KronicRacer
07-27-2004, 04:29 PM
sup bill. long time no see.

jjmag26
07-28-2004, 12:16 AM
Well I went and got fuel today but all they had was 20% blue thunder and people from another forum tell me that blue thunder is no good. Oh well I guess I will have to get oddonnel after these 2 gallons.

astainback
07-28-2004, 01:20 AM
good luck!! nice car. I am getting ready to order a NTC3 hopefully.

Baja-Destroyer
07-28-2004, 01:26 AM
u got 2 gallons of blue thunder? i personaly dont like it and what oil % does it have i know oddonnel has 18% oil o and btw make sure u use after run oil or marvel mystery oil after ur done using the car a few drops in the carb then take off the glow plug and then a few drops in there then pull the pull start slowly with the glow plug off so get the oil all in the engine then put plug on and ur good