PDA

View Full Version : Wiring troubles

Figit090
07-24-2004, 04:28 PM
I just bought a 1200mah rx pack and an ofna failsafe and i'm having issues getting all the wires correctly lead into the reciever box in a way where they won't get the rubber cut off, i already almost damaged the failsafe's wire trying to fit them all in there, it worked, but after a while the vibration would have cut through even more causing a runaway :eek: . I ground down the opening and the wall of the RX box to allow more room for the wires, but i was wondering if anyone has had trouble or found a solution to my problem...

the stock hold for the wires is too tight... for one run i had them all routed through the crystal opening where the rubber cork is, but that would allow excessive dirt in, and possibly totally omitting my ability to change crystals easily (not that it matters much now anyway..i just bash and i don't have any extra crystals)

i'd also like to know where everyone mounted their batteries and failsafes (i have a lot of extra wire here to mess with) and i had some glitching when i was running my truck a while ago...?is there any problem with bunching wires up or things i should avoid that might cause glitching or other radio problems?

here is a pic of the current battery location, it's held in with foam behind, below and in front for vibration protection and a zip tie. i've tried using more sip ties than just the one in front, but no ideas have really presented themselves...except maybe more horizontal ones, none to keep it from bouncing out upward.

Figit090
07-24-2004, 04:31 PM
here's all my wires :eek:

rocknbil
07-24-2004, 10:59 PM
Is there a way to make the opening in the RX box larger so it doesn't squeeze the harness quite so hard, and you can just stretch the rubber grommet? Or, go to an auto store or maybe pirate a larger grommet off an old car part and enlarge the RX box hole to fit, or substitute the grommet for a piece of rubber tubing (fuel line will be too small.)

BTW nice Co-Flex system you got goin' on there. :D

Figit090
07-25-2004, 12:16 AM
oh yeah thanx on the co-flex...i'm going to post another thread with pics of my whole truck...and what i did to my rims.. you might like it take a look later if you get a chance. Can you guess my favorite color??

Thanx for the ideas too, i'm thinking i might glue some plastic in the stock hole for the wires, enlarge the rx crystal hole and feed the wires through there. I could slice the rubber down the middle on one side so the wires wouldn't make an opening for dirt.. and just make the hole a bit wider to allow the rubber to bulge a bit. the rubber should form around the wires and seal fairly well...i think :confused: there is a square hole on the bottom of the rx box near the chassis for the wires and a rubber-stopped hole on the top for easy crystal removal...

is there anything i have to avoid like wrapping several wires close together? or keeping the battery wire away from the servo wires or anything? i'm not sure what can cause interference, the last time i ran it could have been a low battery or powerlines...i was right by a main road (highway) in a nice red gravel building site by the beach... :D

rocknbil
07-25-2004, 05:54 AM
The wires being close **shouldn't** cause any glitching, but if they're pinched really tight it can have long term effects. What happens sometimes is the vibration and handling bends the wires back and forth until they break inside the insulation. Snug is OK, but if you can't move the wires through the hole easy, that's probably too tight.

I've got a power line going right over my track and seldom have any glitches unless I'm standing right under it with the TX, but it's sporadic, so it's entirely possible your glitch was from that.

Figit090
07-25-2004, 04:43 PM
rocknbil you're great...lol...you've made the latest post in 3 of my threads... :D thanks for all of your help!

SPORADIC?? :confused: bwaaahaaa!!! :eek: ..........what's that mean :o

Well i've tried it out, and my ofna failsafe is blinking at me..i read the package, and it says "battery low DO NOT RUN!" lol...oops! i'm going to try it with new batteries cause the alkalines i used sure didn't last long! :mad:

When i was experimenting with servo combos (switching channels and servos) i determined that the 3rd channel is glitching, or the switch is...cause any servo i hook up will usually work well, but it dosen't more STRAIGHT to the correct lock, it will move from one side to the other and wiggle before it settles in.. did i mess up my switch? i discovered that if you hold the switch in the middle, the servo will center (not what the switch is for, but it's possible) and i'm worried that i may have hurt the transmitter... the shift servo will work, but i'm weary about how it figits around... ( :rolleyes: )

kitty
07-26-2004, 02:53 AM
Well i've tried it out, and my ofna failsafe is blinking at me..i read the package, and it says "battery low DO NOT RUN!" lol...oops! i'm going to try it with new batteries cause the alkalines i used sure didn't last long!
The blinking is normal. They screwed up on the instructions. This has been going on for some time now, so it makes me wonder how many thousands of the failsafes they had made with the incorrect instructions.

I don't even bother looking at my failsafe any more. I've seen a lot of guys cut holes and put little windows in their receiver boxes so they can see the failsafe. When my throttle no longer responds and I see that the brake is on, I know it's time to recharge the receiver pack.

rocknbil
07-26-2004, 11:44 AM
SPORADIC??

Occurring now and then with no apparent pattern or discernable cause. Or you could use Webster's definition (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sporadic).

I can't help on the glitch other than to say you can't really mess up a switch, they work or they don't (well you CAN, but not under normal use.) All it is is a slider with metal contacts on it and they sometimes malfunction on their own. Maybe the metal contacts are giving you a momentary glitch, don't know, as long as it doesn't stay glitching.

Figit090
07-26-2004, 03:15 PM
ok, thanks...i've heard that metal to metal contact can cause it..and there are a lot of springs on the shift servo..maybe it's just somthing there...i don't see how it could be, but i'll hook 3rd up to another servo and see if it keeps spazin' out on me :rolleyes: