PDA

View Full Version : tires, inserts & wheels

volracer
07-24-2004, 05:59 PM
I am about to mount two sets of Sorex 24 mm tires on Kyosho disc rims. One set I am using HPI molded 24 mm inserts and the other I am using Tamiya hard molded rubber 24 mm inserts. The inserts do not feel as they are "filling up" the tire. There seems to be some space which would allow the tire to wiggle. Is this normal?

-=ADA$=-
07-24-2004, 06:21 PM
i dont run on-road but in my buggy i have to force them in, they seem to be too big, but maybe on-roads are different

Grizzbob
07-25-2004, 12:44 AM
I am about to mount two sets of Sorex 24 mm tires on Kyosho disc rims. One set I am using HPI molded 24 mm inserts and the other I am using Tamiya hard molded rubber 24 mm inserts. The inserts do not feel as they are "filling up" the tire. There seems to be some space which would allow the tire to wiggle. Is this normal?
Sometimes it is, volracer, but it varies from one kind of insert to another. The one I've used that seem to do the bast job of fully filling the tire are HPI's(I'd reccomend their red ones as a good overall insert). But if you'd like to make use of the inserts you already have, you can also add some strapping tape to the inside of the tire(between the tire & insert, in case you were unaware of it, strapping tape is a kind of fiber reinforced tape that many pan car racers & some touring car guys use to hold their battery packs onto the chassis, it can be found at plenty of hobby shops). Just cut a length of tape that's long enough & then start to lay it down into the tire until it reaches all the way around, then trim it so the ends just meet & add the insert & you're done. Does a good job of helping the insert fill the tire properly(I use this little trick on TakeOff's tires all the time, since the inserts that come with them are also a bit too thin to completely fill the tire).... :cool: