PDA

View Full Version : Should I convert my Tamiya battery ends for Deans?

sludog
07-25-2004, 12:54 PM
Do you guys think I should convert ,or buy new when my batts die, my batteries from Tamiya ends to deans? Will this give me longer run times? I use my electric r/c mostly for backyard and street bashing. Please give me the advantages of deans plugs. My charger is also a Tamiya, should I convert that as well or is there an adapter I can buy for charging deans?

Animeboy123
07-25-2004, 01:11 PM
well deans are a whole lot better than the Tamiya plugs, they have less resistance so better electrical flow to the battery. I suggest you Hard wire your motor wires though. This will give you no resistance b/c there is no plug connectiong them so you might see a small performance gain in your motor.

sludog
07-25-2004, 01:15 PM
Does it increase runs times? That's my main concern for street bashing?

ayk_driver
07-25-2004, 01:44 PM
if there is u woodnt notice it... for bashing ur fine unless u start to melt connectors...

Animeboy123
07-25-2004, 03:26 PM
still change them, i really only bash and i still only run Deans.

RichieRich
07-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Definitely replace them even if you are only bashing. They will last a lot longer and give you fewer troubles.

rocknbil
07-25-2004, 04:33 PM
sludog - when they are NEW, chances are you won't see a big difference, but as they begin to age, like at about the 10th to 20th run, you will DEFINATELY see increased run times.

In addition to being high resistance anyway, the female half - the "tube" - begins to stretch, and no longer squeeses the pin tightly. Additionally dirt and oxidation begin to build up on the contact surfaces, increasing resistance even more. At this point they begin to feel hot at the end of a run, which is a definate sign you are losing both punch and run time.

Everyone uses Deans, I use Race Preps, many use Power Poles - any of those are an excellent alternative to Tamiya-style connectors. They will always hold tightly and the metals are harder and have far less resistance.

dalejrfan8
07-26-2004, 08:48 AM
I use deans but powerpoles are easier to get apart.

sludog
07-26-2004, 08:52 AM
Thanks, It's so long since I was into electric r/c it seems like I am starting all over again. I been only driving nitro for the past few years so batteries are not my speciality.

Cain
07-26-2004, 12:38 PM
I like powerpoles myself. Easier to assemble and you can run shorter wire to your packs if they are side x side.

cheerwhiner
07-26-2004, 01:52 PM
I have melted tamiya plugs with a mod motor. I would always say if you are considering getting plugs then you should get better plugs.