PDA

View Full Version : Truck help

raw10628
07-26-2004, 03:28 PM
I am pretty new to RC and I want to get something that I can just play around with. I want it to be able to take a little abuse from time to time. Maybe run it on the sand down at the beach. Anyone have any suggestions on a good car or truck that is resonably priced?

dalejrfan8
07-26-2004, 04:08 PM
A RTR T4 costs about $250. Just slap some paddle tires on and you can run on the beach. Be carefull because I have heard sand can ruin an electric motor. Welcome to the boards!

Figit090
07-26-2004, 04:16 PM
If sand gets in the motor i'm sure it could ruin it, to my knowledge there is only a small space between the armature and the can's magnets, if sand gets in there it will tear the life out of it quick...

Would you like to take on Nirto or stay simple with battery power? both are cool, electric is more simple though, some newbies have tuning trouble with nitro engines.

Got a price range?? that helps.

SS Pede
07-26-2004, 06:17 PM
Traxxas Stampede (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVK75**&P=ML) is a great truck, reasonably priced. It is more of a basher/monster than, say, a T4.

tec_41
07-26-2004, 07:34 PM
Pede is a good choice cuz its durable and cheap. You can make it go faster if u want, stock it goes low 20's.

rocknbil
07-26-2004, 07:46 PM
Figit - if that's you're only worry, wrap the motor in your Co-Flex man! :D I do it all the time racing.

Yeah but sand is not good for other reasons. Many run in it anyway, but it grinds up your moving parts quicker. Also sand is the most resistant surface, it puts a lot of load on an electric motor and even with lower gearing, it tends to overheat.

If you want a go-anywhere, climb-anything - go for one of the monster trucks. Otherwise, milder off-roading is done with stadium trucks or buggies. If you want to do parking lot high speeds, go with a touring or pan car.

raw10628
07-27-2004, 03:38 AM
I am mainly looking for something do just have a little fun with. I'm not going to be taking it to the beach very often, maybe 4-5 times a year. I have looked at quite a few cars and trucks online, but just don't know what the ads and disads are. I would really like to spend under about 200 if possible. Thanks for the help. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

rocknbil
07-27-2004, 05:05 AM
Well 200's a pretty tight budget for something that's going to last you. Even though you're not going to race, you're going to want a little durability and handling, once you get the hang you'll really appreciate it.

Anything by AE (Associated Electrics,) Losi, Traxxas, HPI, or Tamiya is going to give you a good dollar value, and most of those are upgradeable and usually race-worthy. If you can, stay away from "knock-offs" and before you lay out the bucks, come on back and tell someone what you're considering, you'll get an earful. :D

The exception is Tamiya, because their emphasis is more on scale model realism than performance, but many of their kits are a pretty good balance of both. They're just not as upgradeable as others, you need to (mostly) stay with Tamiya parts, and their chassis' are usually all injection molded as opposed to the modular construction of most RC's. I guess I bring up Tamiya because they're a great entry level kit, a little less expensive, and like I say, pretty good dollar value.

Cain
07-27-2004, 07:20 AM
if no racing is in your future, the Stampede is a good choice as you get good ground clearance and the vehicle is a tank. I think the only things I would change is get the RPM bigger bearing carriers as they make the vehicle pretty much bomb proof. Pop in a good 19T motor and you will have plenty of speed and power and be quite happy with it. You may want to try and look on ebay and see what you can find. probably get a better deal there. Also, the T3 is a good tough vehicle. Put on some monster tires and you can have good fun with it. I recommend Imex J-Dawgs ( or G-Dawgs, can't fully remember the name ). They really push the vehicle up in the air and have great grip. If you flip them so the tread packs the sand under the tire instead of kicking it out ( reverse V pattern ) it should cause you to ride on top of the sand in theory. Just make sure that you put in one piece foams instead of the two piece they usually give you.

You can also find the RTR models for good prices at places like ultimatehobbies. I would say shoot more for a budget of $250 to $300 for all new stuff.

Figit090
07-27-2004, 02:22 PM
Yeah i was considering the co-flex...i'm going to do that to my ez-start on my t-maxx (the only truck i have aside from other toyish ones and a RadioS. eradicator) but in a motor powering a RC truck up a sand dune needs the air flow...co-flex would be like insulation for the heat and the motor would wear much quicker or overheat somthing...

Too bad you couldn't afford the Revo, it has rubber covers on every joint and moving part - perfect for sand running...

SOOO...electric or nitro?? I'd rather have nitro for sand...i figure it'd run a battery pack dead to quick. I'll get links to some cars close to 200 bux if i can.n :)

Figit090
07-27-2004, 02:56 PM
lol.... here's all i found near $200, and that's NOT counting the junk you need to run it - these are all nitro so you'll have to buy fuel, batteries, a filling bottle and other little things when you think you need them, like a reciever pack.(not much more than that though)

This is probably all you could get for exactly $200 bux and then all you really need is fuel and batteries for the radio...and you're set. It's the tower hobbies ST-15
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LG3368**&P=1 i've heard some good things, and some bad (small wheelbase) but if you're just messing around, want nitro, and can't afford more than around 230 bux...that's pretty much it for nitro trucks/buggies.

pretty much everything else that's RTR and isn't just an on-road car is more than $300, but that's nitro.

If you save a bit more and squeeze out 300, you'll end up with somthing like a Traxxas Sportmaxx http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LG3374**&P=1

Here's some Electric ones that have been mentioned, and are RTR.

Duratrax Evader SThttp://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LG3057**&P=1
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LG3058**&P=1 (buggy version)

Kyosho EP Ulitama http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LG3154**&P=1

If you want 4wd - which you probably do for sand - you could get an electric tamiya like rocknbil said, and later get a mod. motor if you want more power.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LG3168&P=1
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LG3172&P=1
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LG3175&P=1
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LG3178&P=1
Look at this list for electric cars and trucks, and just scan for the ones that are trucks...there are lots under $200, tamiya has lots.
that's where most of my links were found, but if i posted any more it would make things worse... :o
http://www.towerhobbies.com/listings/listelec.html <<that's the elec car/truck link

rocknbil
07-27-2004, 03:59 PM
.... but in a motor powering a RC truck up a sand dune needs the air flow...co-flex would be like insulation for the heat and the motor would wear much quicker or overheat somthing....

Yeah, that's the first thing everyone says, but I've never had any trouble overheating even in racing. I figure the few degrees it **may** warm it up is a good trade-off for the amount of dust you keep out.

Figit090
07-27-2004, 07:14 PM
oh cool! do motors have bearings or bushings??

packerfan3022
07-27-2004, 10:41 PM
for 200 and nitro i would highly recommend a st-15.. heres my review http://onlyrcs.com/St-15%20review.htm

Figit090
07-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Well i guess my idea was good huh? If i had to spend 200...it's what i'd get. Knowing me i'd just save longer to get somthing better, but that thing looks fun, maybe i'll get one in the future...cheap basher! i like how the engine was just replaced...no cost to that?? I'll find mroe reviews...i know i've read another.

Figit090
07-28-2004, 08:26 PM
here's a nice review, good details, and he even states that if you put baloons on the electronics, you can run it in snow mud or even sand... :D seems cool to me! If you have extra $$ leftover, i'd spend it on a better filter tuned pipe, and new tires like he said, the stock ones look like crap for their life and don't look to provide much grip, so new ones will be a must.

http://www.nitroreview.com/reviews/viewreview.cfm?reviewid=604

what do you think of that truck now? I'll look for more reviews.

raw10628
07-29-2004, 02:52 AM
Thanks alot for all of the help. I have looked around and decided that I will probably spend the extra and get a nitro. I really like the RC 10GT. There are a few on e-bay that I have my eye on. If that falls through I might look a little harder at the ST 15.

Wizardman_1
07-30-2004, 01:31 AM
I've had an ST-15 and it was an alright truck, i sold it to one of my friends though cause i like electrics a little better. One thing that mine did a lot was eat spur gears, packerfan said the fixed the problem i guess but i dont know about that. I goes pretty fast and is a good beginner truck. Read more in the nitro off-road forum, st-15 thread.

rocknbil
07-30-2004, 03:16 AM
.... do motors have bearings or bushings??

Stocks bushings, most mods bearings.

Figit090
08-01-2004, 01:57 AM
ok, cool. Learn somthin new every day :D

You know i've learned more from you in the past few days than any other sole poster :p

Spoon37
08-01-2004, 08:56 PM
dont dismiss larger trucks like the traxxas E-maxx - its big, has 4wd, twin high torque motors mounted high up and well protected by the chassis - and if your still worried about the ingress of dirt/sand into the electrics, the whole maxx chassis tub fits nicely under a shower cap. :p

it needs 2x batts per run, but you can get some good deals on lightly used E-maxx, prolly get one with 4 batts, a charger and a couple of hop-ups all RTR for about $250 ish.

I would recommend the Wild dagger as a cheaper/lighter alternative, its 4wd, has twin motors, yet is less than 1/2 the weight of the E-maxx. it also costs far less - but its motors are mounted pretty low and not too far from the wheels, its all too easy to get a rooster tail kicked up by the front left wheel and chuck a load of grit though the motor.....

if you want to build a kit, Tamiya are probably the best possible for a beginner, the fit of there parts are always perfect first time and the instructions could not be clearer. however many companies(Tamiya included) offer Ready to Run kits(RTR) so you dont have to build it - it makes things easier later on if you build it, as you know how it went together, so it is easy to take it apart to replace worn or broken parts.

note on the Tamiya recommendations - steer clear of the mad bull/fighter buggy/mad fighter - they have very little ground clearence for buggies and will get stuck easily in sand, or on any rough surface.

;)

Figit090
08-01-2004, 09:55 PM
that sounds good, but what about runtimes?? would you rather have fuel out on the dunes or a couple batteries that you'd have to charge and when they die your day's over.... unless you spend $25 + on extra batteries that are good... one set for the e-maxx is what....50 bux?? so if he wanted to play for more than 20min tops he'd have to buy 100 dollars worth of batteries, and a charger.

for nitro, he can get 3 quarts or so of nitro, (one quart will last for about 7-10 runs maybe, at 15 min each...give or take a bit) and that'd cost only about 21 bucks...then add some batteries...5 bux...and he's ready to go!

i'd prefer nitro...the sound of the engine would make it a bit more exciting, and attract more people that'd say how cool your toy is...cause you can hear it from a mile away :D

Spoon37
08-02-2004, 02:27 PM
whilst thats true, and Nitro is very cool. once you have spent that $21 thats it, you cannot re-charge it, you cant re-use it over 1000 times like any battery pack can be.

maybe I am in a priviledged position for runtime as I have a mere 14 packs that can be used in the E-maxx.

besides you dont need the very best super duper zapped, matched, nuked, and deepfryed batts to run an E-maxx for 10 mins. lots of cheap battery stick packs like GP 2000's will do nicely and are very cheap. also 3000's are quite cheap these days and should give you a good 20+ mins on a stocker maxx.

so work it out - over a very short timespan yeah nitro is cheaper. i.e. today you buy some fuel and I buy some batts I will spend alot more, but a year later, I am still running thos same batts with no probs, and you will have spent a small fortune on fuel.

I'm not trying to argue one over the other - Nitro is cool, Electric has its benefits etc. but I am merely playing the devils advocat and providing the other side of the argument as it were.

:D

Figit090
08-02-2004, 04:58 PM
yeah, you're right...i mentioned the deal about more $$ because he wants to pay a certain amount and is limited right NOW...so i dunno. but good argument. hard choice huh?? lol.....

Spoon37
08-03-2004, 11:37 AM
yup - I dont envy newcomers to the hobby. I started with an electric TL01 and a bunch of stuff that my dad got as a deal from my LHS(it was a birthday present) - I realise now that most of it was junk but at the time it all seemed expensive stuff.

yet now I am in a position where I have too many RC parts - I can literally build a couple of cars from spares rip electrics out of another car and have something new running by this evening if the mood takes me.... I also have no money..... :p

;)