PDA

View Full Version : Dremel use?

4wdmt
07-27-2004, 03:30 PM
im just wondering, aside from its household uses, what r/c applications can you use with this tool. is it a must have tool for us r/cers? there is one on sale in the hardware store and im hesitant if i can use this to our hobby. if you own one, where do you use it often and what "attachment" is mostly used. thank you for any input guys.

btw, im planning to buy the variable - speed multi pro kit, or shall i consider the rechargeable model? thanks.

nitrothugg
07-27-2004, 03:48 PM
buy it. what cant you use it for is the question. its good for slotting stripped screws, trimming bodies, modifying chassis slots/holes .....

dalejrfan8
07-27-2004, 04:04 PM
I am with nitrothugg on the "what can't you use it for is the question" You will wonder how you ever lived without one. I use the cutting wheel and the sanding drum most often. I would go with a rechargable model.

MicroMan
07-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Dremels have 1000's of uses. You won't regret getting one.

kitty
07-27-2004, 04:15 PM
^^^^ What those guys said! The only thing I feel differently about is whether to go with the rechargeable or the corded version. It all depends on how you think you may use it for other purposes. The cordless one has the advantage of no cords to get in your way. However, it doesn't have the power that the corded version has. Here's an example for thought:

Say you have some RC screws that are too long and you don't have any shorter ones. You're using the tool for cutting the longer ones. The cordless may run out of juice before you're done. Sure, it can be recharged, but hopefully won't take so long that you get frustrated. I think that the cordless still uses a NiCd battery inside, so that gets me to thinking about the ol' NiCd "memory" thing. Over time, the battery will wear out and you'll have to replace it.

I'm not trying to persuade you either way. I just tossed that in as a "what if?" situation. Personally, I own a Dremel and a Black & Decker RTX and use them often. I also plan to buy a cordless version primarily for RC use and when I need to do a quick job without having to find an outlet.

Like the guys said, what can't you use one for? I think your decision should come down to how often you think you'll use it. Another thing to consider is the price of the two you're considering and how many bits are included. For my Dremel, I went with the kit in a box that had a bunch of bits. My RTX came with just a few bits, but that was okay. I since have amassed quite a collection of bits, but then, I'm a serious tool and gadget queen.

rocknbil
07-27-2004, 04:15 PM
How can you ask! :D

Bodies:
- Cone tip for drilling body holes
- Fine sanding tip and drum tip for edging body
- Buffer attachment with some fine buffing compound for polishing out external scratches in the lexan (this REALLY does work)
- cutoff wheel for hard-to-get to-without-botching-it-up trims

Bolts/Nuts/Screws:
- cutoff wheel for bolts that are too long
- grinding tip to "dress up" ends of bolts you just cut off
- cutoff wheel for cutting heads off stripped-head bolts (sometimes)
- grinding tip for removing manufacturing burrs

Chassis:
- Cutoff wheel for custom graphite parts
- grinding tips for rounding edges
- boring tips for holes and hole-like mods
- boring/drill bits and tips for mounting hardware

Electrical:
- grinding tips for when you get a little too generous on the solder
- boring/grinding tips for adjusting wiring harness access sizes

Engine:
- Cutting tips and find grinding tips for porting sleeves - a MUST have
- wire wheel attachment for cooked-on engine scum that nothing else removes
- polishing wheel for polishing internal surfaces, if you dare
- cutoff wheel for cutting crankshafts for many RC clutches - a MUST have

AND . . . I have a chain sharpening attachment that allows me to use my Dremel to sharpen my chainsaw. :D

I'm sure there's many more uses, you almost can't get into the hobby room without picking up the Dremel and giving it a whirl on SOMEthing. :D

Not only do my wife and I each have an AE GT - we each have our own Dremel too, hers has an extension attachment so she can clamp the dremel to the bench and handle it just by the tip.

CarterTG
07-27-2004, 05:16 PM
I went with the Variable-Speed Dremel in a kit similar to this one because it seemed to have the greatest range of expandability

http://www.dremel.com/html/images/products/tool_kits/3956-02.jpg (http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay/tool_kit_template.asp?SKU=3956-02&Color=99CCFF)

An adjustable speed was more important than cordless for me because all the places I planned to use a Dremel already has electrical outlets ...plus different material often require different RPMs. There's now a Lithium-Ion Dremel, but if I had to buy one again today, I'd still go for the corded version simply so that there aren't any time constraints or recharging issues.

The carry case comes in handy for storing all the additional bits that'll accrue over time.

My MiniZ custom-made bimmer body (http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159516) would've taken waaaaay longer if it weren't for the Dremel. The cutting disc went through plastic like a hot knife on 'buttah'. The flat side of that same disc could be used for sanding.

It's got another vote from me as a MUST-HAVE tool for the advancing hobbyist.

4wdmt
07-27-2004, 06:23 PM
MAN! you sold me. after reading your replies, i went out, hop on my car and headed for the hardware store to buy myself one. while i was there checking out the corded models, one of the store helpers are putting up new stocks of the cordless lithium ion type dremels. wow, 60 assorted bits, 5,000 to 35,000 rpm variable speed, battery juice indicator, no memory battery and handy, heavy duty case for a few more dollars - bought one. now the battery is being charged and my imagination is getting wild on the list of things you guys suggested. YOU GUYS ROCK :D . thank you.

now, if you have to excuse me, i am about to read the instruction manual. lol.

MurcielagoR-GT
07-27-2004, 07:01 PM
CostCo has a set of all the different bits for $20. I think there is a total of 200 peices all together. You can never have to many bits!

Grizzbob
07-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Yup, EXTREMELY handy tool, a gearhead's best friend. I even used mine to do the battery compartment mod on my TC3(the one where you grind out a portion of the center spline so you can move the batteries close to the centerline of the car, & improve its transitional handling). Took a long time, but it was worth it..... :cool:

SerialKillinSam
07-27-2004, 07:46 PM
yeah i use the fiber glass cutting disk the most out of anything, so i bought a pack of 20 becuase they can go wuick somtimes. but yeah dremel makes a big kit of like 220 pieces for like 30 at home depot. i use it all the time, i dont worrie about stripped screws anymore beuase i know i can just cut a slit in the head and get them out.

itdood
07-27-2004, 08:23 PM
add building battery packs to the list. I use it to rough up the battery surfaces I'm about to solder.

most.versitle.tool.ever

4wdmt
07-27-2004, 09:49 PM
i never imagined the endless use of this tool. how did i lived without it. im now at the quick start book. im getting more ideas as you reply here.

rocknbil
07-27-2004, 09:58 PM
I suppose I should let the cat out of the bag.

One of my funniest Dremel stories (come on, how can a Dremel story be funny in the first place) is when I came home and saw the wife crouched over the couch, heard this whirring noise . . . and here she is polishing her toenails with the Dremel. :D

Come to find out, she used to work with a close friend in a pedicure shop and it was pretty common to polish up the nails afterward with a Dremel, that's how she came by the extension. :D

astainback
07-28-2004, 01:36 AM
You can't go wrong with one. It really makes trimming bodies and customizing them easy. Also, you can clean, polish, cut, or DESTROY anything!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

get a dremel. its fun.

RespirologyRC
07-28-2004, 02:11 AM
Just get one because everyone in this forum has one!!!:)

RespirologyRC
07-28-2004, 02:12 AM
www.harborfreighttools.com has a complete set with many parts for cheaps $19.00 and it's a variable speed

Grizzbob
07-28-2004, 03:27 AM
I suppose I should let the cat out of the bag.

One of my funniest Dremel stories (come on, how can a Dremel story be funny in the first place) is when I came home and saw the wife crouched over the couch, heard this whirring noise . . . and here she is polishing her toenails with the Dremel. :D

Come to find out, she used to work with a close friend in a pedicure shop and it was pretty common to polish up the nails afterward with a Dremel, that's how she came by the extension. :D
LOL, you know, before you got to the toenails part, I was startin' to think she might be doing something else with it(but I don't think I'll go into details since this is a family-friendly forum).... :p

RespirologyRC
07-28-2004, 04:19 AM
LOL, you know, before you got to the toenails part, I was startin' to think she might be doing something else with it(but I don't think I'll go into details since this is a family-friendly forum).... :p

lol me too :D :eek: :rolleyes:

RespirologyRC
07-28-2004, 04:20 AM
anyone know of a good bit to use that I can get a mirror shine out of some parts and how?

ososlow
07-28-2004, 04:36 AM
Just use the little cotton wheels and some polishing compound you can pick up at Princess Auto or pretty much any auto parts store. They are bars and are different colors for each compound. Cost me about $6 at Princess. :cool:
Keep the little guide it comes with. It comes in handy. Practice on some scraps first until you get the hang of it. ;)
Once you get it, you will find yourself polishing everything you can find :D

4wdmt
07-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Just get one because everyone in this forum has one!!!:)

i really felt left behind here, where was i? lol, just came out of the cave :D .

now, im experimenting on all the bits that came with the tool, except for the manicure thing. :D

rocknbil
07-28-2004, 12:51 PM
I MUST say - I doubt I could drag myself into an auto store named "Princess Auto." Not intentionally anyway.

:D

As for you other guys, that was predictable. :rolleyes: I said WHIRRING, not HUMMING. :D

ososlow
07-29-2004, 02:00 AM
Oh trust me, once you find out what they have there, you will spend many hours wandering around looking at all the cool stuff. You can build just about anything you can think of with what they sell. They are a Canadian company though, so I will doubt you will be walking into one anytime soon ;)

You can take a look at their very compact website if your bored
Princess Auto (http://www.princessauto.com/PAcountry.cfm?CTRY=CAN&INF=home)

I think you can sign up for a free flyer too.

RichieRich
07-29-2004, 02:11 AM
I love my dremel. I was so happy this weekend as I was able to use it for a baby cradle. The original hardware was just junk, so we ordered a replacement set that needed a little trimming. A few minutes later with the cutting wheel attached and some safety glasses, the screws were the right lengh and now my soon-to-be-born daughter will have a place to sleep. YAY! Now the wife is a fan. :D

mwcet8k
07-29-2004, 04:30 AM
Also, you can clean, polish, cut, or DESTROY anything!!!

LOL!! Yes, sometimes the best part of owning one is destroying something at 35,000 RPM!

Greatest inventions of all time:
1. The wheel
2. The dremel

Only your imagination will limit what you can do with that thing. And I've gotta reiterate what people have already said - you'll soon be asking yourself how you ever got by without it.

Maybe we should talk Steve into creating a dremel forum?!! j/k

rocknbil
07-29-2004, 04:37 AM
Nah. The greatest is Duct Tape, followed by Velcro.

4wdmt
07-29-2004, 11:05 AM
yup, good ol' duct tape after destroying something with the dremel, lol :D

rccardude04
07-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Duct tape, zip ties, velcro, super glue, and a dremel.
Then there ain't nothin yew can't fix! :D
-Eric

Peg Leg
08-13-2004, 01:26 AM
How can you ask! :D

Bodies:
- Cone tip for drilling body holes
- Fine sanding tip and drum tip for edging body
- Buffer attachment with some fine buffing compound for polishing out external scratches in the lexan (this REALLY does work)
- cutoff wheel for hard-to-get to-without-botching-it-up trims

Bolts/Nuts/Screws:
- cutoff wheel for bolts that are too long
- grinding tip to "dress up" ends of bolts you just cut off
- cutoff wheel for cutting heads off stripped-head bolts (sometimes)
- grinding tip for removing manufacturing burrs

Chassis:
- Cutoff wheel for custom graphite parts
- grinding tips for rounding edges
- boring tips for holes and hole-like mods
- boring/drill bits and tips for mounting hardware

Electrical:
- grinding tips for when you get a little too generous on the solder
- boring/grinding tips for adjusting wiring harness access sizes

Engine:
- Cutting tips and find grinding tips for porting sleeves - a MUST have
- wire wheel attachment for cooked-on engine scum that nothing else removes
- polishing wheel for polishing internal surfaces, if you dare
- cutoff wheel for cutting crankshafts for many RC clutches - a MUST have

AND . . . I have a chain sharpening attachment that allows me to use my Dremel to sharpen my chainsaw. :D

I'm sure there's many more uses, you almost can't get into the hobby room without picking up the Dremel and giving it a whirl on SOMEthing. :D

Not only do my wife and I each have an AE GT - we each have our own Dremel too, hers has an extension attachment so she can clamp the dremel to the bench and handle it just by the tip.

You mentioned many uses for the dremel. Well i was sent to this thread because i got stupid and took my savage to the beach for 3 days. The dog bones got some surface rust on them. They said that the dremel with a wire bruch would fix my problem. My question is, after i take the wire wheel to the dog bones, is there something i have to put on them to keep the rust from coming back? Thanks.. :rolleyes:

rocknbil
08-13-2004, 02:46 AM
Don't get water on them? :D Naval Jelly? Frequent WD-40 spray?

chrisAtmaxx
08-13-2004, 01:07 PM
u mortals! a rotozip is the industrial strength and i have 2

RDucky02
08-13-2004, 01:18 PM
i actually bought one of the 10.8V li-ion cordless models. it has alot of power, corded power without the cord.... plus it last long and it isnt that heavy. i had a cheaper rechargable before this one and it was enough to do small jobs but ild have to take out my dads corded model whnever it was a long job. but this cordless one is kicking butt and i wouldnt trade it for a corded model. and now intsead of me taking out my dads, hes taking out mine...

RDucky02
08-13-2004, 01:20 PM
chris dude.... actually ild prefer a foredom.... now thats industrial strength. my jeweler uses his everyday all day...

CarterTG
08-13-2004, 01:34 PM
Pffft.. Rotozip...... like using a sledgehammer to water the lawn. As the bumper sticker on the back of my AMC Gremlin reads:

Hobbyists do it with FINESSE