PDA

View Full Version : Feeling silly and old

RespirologyRC
07-28-2004, 02:02 AM
Well I haven't really had a chance to play with my Mini-t. I have owned it for 8 months and have only used it 3-5 times. Well this morning I decided that before I would go to bed i would mess around with it in the parking lot behind my house. While doing this I really got to see this thing perform, outstanding!!! Well later on when I was awake I decided to go and get myself a pizza (Pizza shop is next to my appartment, and pizza man lives upstairs from the shop which overlooks the parking lot that I was playing in) when I started talking to the pizza guy. Mind You I played with the mini-t at 6am. Either way the pizza guy says, "How was your little toy?" ,"Did you have a good time playing in the dirt?" I immideately felt like a big baby and slightly embarrassed. I don't know why. Maybe because here I was dressed in scrubs at 6 in the morning playing with a toy truck, or maybe because I was sceene playing with a toy in general. I wanted to tell him that the mini-t cost me 160.00 dollars, but I didn't. The pizza guy didn't mean to make me feel old or silly but he did. And all I could say is," Yup!! I had a good time can I get my pizza?" and walked out. I am writing this because I am wondering if anyone else would have responded differently. PS I am 27y/o. :o

Nightz
07-28-2004, 02:08 AM
Maybe if he saw a 1/10 scale ripping across the parking lot wide open throttle at 70 mph he would have thought differently?

MicroMan
07-28-2004, 02:12 AM
That comes with the hobby. For every 10 "Hey Cool"s, you'll get one "Nerd!" or "That's Dumb".

The main thing is to not care what other people think about you. As long as you are having fun. He plays with dolls for all you know. :)

tec_41
07-28-2004, 02:14 AM
My friends that arent into rc always say that so i tell them, "how can you judge something youve never seen? Take a guess at how fast it goes..." And they always say like 10mph and stuff, so its kinda funny. I think that ppl who make fun of a person into rc are just jealous cuz everyone loves to see a little car doing high speed runs.

Nightz
07-28-2004, 02:25 AM
everyone loves to see a little car doing high speed runs.

Which further proves my point that speed = big ballz factor! I doubt that anybody will associate blazing speed to childish behavior. It just seems more dangerous, and we all know how youths are usually not supposed to be as associated with 'dangerous' as we want them to be.

How many times have you held onto the throttle just thinking that, just a few more seconds/feet and I'll top out faster than the previous run, only to slam on the brakes at the last possible minute (sometimes too late) to nearly avert a collision (sometimes the damage can be written as a total loss :D )

RespirologyRC
07-28-2004, 02:35 AM
Well I mainly mess around with my nitro trucks to avoid things like this. I really like my mini-t but may dump it as a result of not wanting to get harrassed by jerks that don't understand or want to understand our hobby!!

MicroMan
07-28-2004, 02:37 AM
Dude, you can't let it bother you. It comes with the territory.

RespirologyRC
07-28-2004, 02:42 AM
Thanks microman!!!!

MicroMan
07-28-2004, 02:45 AM
No prob, I deal with it all the time :)

HauntedMyst
07-28-2004, 02:51 AM
Either way the pizza guy says, "How was your little toy?" ,"Did you have a good time playing in the dirt?" I immideately felt like a big baby and slightly embarrassed. I don't know why... The pizza guy didn't mean to make me feel old or silly but he did.

You should have just said "Yes I had a great time! Hey, hows that minimum wage working out for ya?"

RespirologyRC
07-28-2004, 02:53 AM
Ya i wanted to say something like that but he owns have my block and then some!!!! This guy is really really rich!!!

The Modfather
07-28-2004, 03:06 AM
ROFL! I wonder how it'd make the pizza boy feel to know that your "little toy" is equal to a weeks worth of pay for him. BTW, I'm older than you - and I still dig playin w/ my "toys" and probably always will. :D

awsomaha
07-28-2004, 07:41 AM
It sounds to me the guy didn't mean to make you feel old or silly. I am 28 and I have come to the conclution that who cares what anybody thinks. I have an MT and I go rip roaring down the street and some kids are like aren't you a little old to have that, I said "NO, I'm not". Either way as long as you are having fun, who cares what someone else thinks.

Hellbilly242
07-28-2004, 07:56 AM
I sometimes get that feeling. I'm 26 now and driving my Losi around in the streets sometimes gives me the occasional stare from people. But usually it's ok. All the kids in the neighbourhood look up to me and ask me for advice and even their parents come to ask me questions.

Hell, i even helped a 50 year old guy choose the electronics for his boat. He saw me outside driving and came up to me and asked if he could use electronics like i had in my car in his homebuilt boat.

If you decide there is nothing wrong with playing with RC cars, then there is nothing wrong with it.

Only you can decide how you see things. Not the guy walking down the street.

cheerwhiner
07-28-2004, 09:45 AM
my hobby store where I work is in the mall, so i hear some strange stuff sometimes. Like "300 bucks for a toy?" riiiiiight

and the teenage boys come in and are like "woah!"

Its funny sometimes, but some remarks just make me want to say "idiot" but I don't. I am used to weird questions and the same questions over and over and over and over every day at work.

I started a thread earlier that probably gave some people the wrong impression, like I'm a jerk to beginners. This is not the case, ask anybody who knows me. I meant it to mean "post strange stuff you've seen, like d'ohs that you've come accross" not what it ended up being.

Anyway, just be cool to people because we need more and more beginners. Hey you can always sell them stuff you don't need, just do it for a good price it really helps!

and when they hear a nitro switch to second gear they are like "uh yeah never mind i want one too! not fair!! :D "

Krasi_5000
07-28-2004, 12:19 PM
its true what has been said above that for every 10 Positive Comments you get from ppl you will get some guy who calls you a nerd or something but you just ignore em and keep on rollin!
I have tons of people complimenting me and then i get the skeptics and i tell them a little about it blablabla and they become interested all of the sudden lol.

Just ignore the dumb ones hehe

rocknbil
07-28-2004, 12:36 PM
Just remember this:

You know something* he doesn't.

:D

People only "pick" on other people out of a severe lack of self-esteem.

(*Uhh . . . in case you don't know what something I'm referring to . . . the ability to play is what keeps us young. I'm prolly older than most of you and can definately testify to this fact.)

cheerwhiner
07-28-2004, 02:27 PM
That is why Chris Chianelli has the best job in the world, getting paid to play with R/C stuff and tell people about it on TV!!!

_HUMAN_CLAY_
07-28-2004, 06:06 PM
I felt like I was 3 once driving a tyco car I got from a friend as a joke for my bday out front, when 2 hot chicks went by, that sucked, well a month latter I got a savage 25 wit hhummer body, now THAT was a turn around

space_doc
07-30-2004, 09:20 AM
Respirology..I hear you. I'll turn 28 in November, and when I take out my RC's I get looks too. (You mentioned scrubs, what do you do? I'm a first year intern.) I own two mini-t's and have only used one so far. The other has sat in its box since Christmas.

Anyway, being a doc I often feel silly playing with RC's. But you know what, who cares! If you're having fiun, thats all that matters. Its like playing Nintendo. I know lots of guys my age that play N64, PS2, etc. Whats the diff? None. RC's use handheld controllers just like the gaming systems do. And cost as much.

Dont pay no mind to anyone who has something negative to say. Drive on! :)

RespirologyRC
07-30-2004, 09:23 AM
intern pulmonary/thoracics

RespirologyRC
07-30-2004, 09:50 AM
I felt that I should just let you guys in on a little sophmoric behavier: I recently purchased a Tippman a5 paintball rifle with an eye scope and extended barrel for long range shots. Well while I was waiting for my dogs to finish eating their food I decided todo a little target practice...and there before me was the pizza guy opening up the store (who buys pizza at 8:40 in the morning?) So I fired off one shot and "WHAMM!!" Right in the middle of his back!! I was aiming for the back of his head but he moved a little and I pegged his back.hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahhahahahaa hahahahahahaahah It was unbelievably funny!! I can not even to begin to describe how funny it was!! Do you guys think that I should go and show him my newest toy? Do you think that he'll ask me if I'm having fun playing with it? hahahaha I think that conversation would go over really well!ahahaha My wife heard me laughing and asked what I did, she was soo surprised that I would do such an uncharacteristic thing. Who cares? I didn't hurt him, he can wash it out or something. My wife was late for work because she was scared that the pizza guy may know it's me and confront her about this. I'll keep you guys informed; I have to get some rest now.........Buy

RespirologyRC
07-30-2004, 09:54 AM
zzzzzZZZZzzzzzZZZZZ*Mini-t*ZZZZZzzzzzzzZZZZZZzzz*NitroMethane*ZZZZzzzzzzzz
*PizzaManNoLaughingNoMore*ZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZ ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz

cianhanrahan
07-30-2004, 10:22 AM
That's the reason I got out of the Mini-Zs great fun to run, but Zero percent respect. At least with the bigger (1:10) ones I can wheelspin and powerslide realistically so that gets more repsect. My Tamiya shell is a VW Polo just like my real car, only with a custom paint scheme and luminescent orange minilite alloys!!! RC in Ireland is a really small scene, most are just Nikkos or Tyco, or non propo rally cars. 1so a little polo parked next to a big polo is different..
On the flipside, when people see a grown man standing by him self in an empty carpark with a radio in his hand they slwo down to look as well.... he could be crazy !!

MicroMan
07-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Serves him right.

rocknbil
07-30-2004, 11:18 AM
Respirology you scare the hell outta me. I've followed your posts and with some of your actions and ideas, come to find out, you managed to get into the MEDICAL PROFESSION?

Folks if this is true we as potential patients in BIIIG trouble! No wonder I hate hospitals!

Any responsible paintballer doesn't just go shooting citizens on the street. I know he didn't have a mask on. You said he moved and you missed his head - what if he had TURNED and he lost an eye?

Oh yeah, not your problem, the eye is not thoractic.

:rolleyes:

Fluke
07-30-2004, 01:00 PM
RC in Ireland is a really small scene, most are just Nikkos or Tyco, or non propo rally cars.

Same here.
Generally i challenge them in a race:anyone of them running against my "toy" :cool:

W33dM4n99
07-30-2004, 09:38 PM
I used to feel kinda weird when kids would come up to me and tell me i looked stupid playing with "toys" as they said...Then I would just laugh when they asked to drive it!

Now I feel perfectly fine running my cars...except for the XMOD. I went to a big race they had in Dallas and I did feel like a nerd sometimes. But I had a heck of a time!

Hopefully my Ntc3 plus i ordered won't be as emabrassing..lol :rolleyes:

RespirologyRC
07-31-2004, 02:27 AM
Sorry about the paintball bit! Sometimes I type too much. Would it make you feel bette if I told you that he was 50-60 yards away? Hope it does. Either way the eyes are part of optimology, but if he did bleed and inhaled any then aspirated that would be considered ENT (Ears, Nose, and Throat) not exactly my side of the pole but somewhat of a grey area in medicine when it comes to coverage. Rocknbill I asure you I really was aiming at his abd. and not his head! Honest!

Tjappie
07-31-2004, 04:15 AM
It's always people between 15-25 saying things like 'toy' and 'kid' and 'nerd' to me, but almost every time time I can sence that there just jealous (spellcheck). Now that it's summer, I just take of my shirt uncovering my HUGE tattoo (covering my left-upperarm and part of my chest) and they shut up and go away. But when I'm playing with my nitro's nobody thinks I'm a kid, strange huh?

Spoon37
07-31-2004, 06:51 AM
oddly cost seems to shock people most. My neighbours dont mind my RC's in the back yard(except it drives their dog nuts?!), but they seemed to change their attitude when the discovered they cost about $300 a peice....and I have 18 RC's......(mostly MT's). :p

I'm 22 BTW - been into proper RC for 5years.

the respect factor, is a no brainer with a decent sized MT - when its big enough to run over all cars and buggies of the same scale(sometime bigger too) even if it only does 10mph most people find it impressive. then when they see the same thing doing 40mph they cant beleive it....suddenly the word "toy" dissappears.

my only problem is really kids who think it is a toy, and ask repeatedly to "have a go".....I always say no, cuz they will run it WOT into a curb or parked car, and either wreck it or damage someone else property. last I checked a 5kg missile doing 40+mph could do alot of damage.

depends if you actually like the pizza guy, if u want to(and if u trust him enuff) let him have a go for 5mins, it will likely change his opinion dramatically. then again if u shot him in the back of the head I guess you dont really care about being friends, eh? :p

but anyway who cares if your having fun....

rocknbil
07-31-2004, 12:05 PM
...I asure you I really was aiming at his abd. and not his head!...

You said head. Respirology you're missing the point, and that is, you're in the medical profession and this is so irresponsible it's unbelievable. I'm a paintballer myself, I love it, but wouldn't even think of loading up a marker off-field, much less take pot-shots at unsupecting citizens. You'd expect it of a 16-year old hothead over being bombed with water balloons (lol . . . inside joke there) but not an adult.

Basically, this bugs me because it makes paintballers look bad in the same way risky running of your RC makes RC'ers look bad. But it's your kharma, do as you will.

RespirologyRC
07-31-2004, 08:42 PM
Sorry I make you scared. It was one time and one time only!! I don't want to be arrested! My fam would kill me!!

surfer
07-31-2004, 10:03 PM
That comes with the hobby. For every 10 "Hey Cool"s, you'll get one "Nerd!" or "That's Dumb".

for me i have that backwords...

10 "cheap toys" for 1 "thats awsome!"

marvelousmatt
07-31-2004, 11:32 PM
I don't get any "Cool" or "Stupid" 's, I just get "Is that gas?" (All I drive is loud RC cars with smoke coming out the side)

rocknbil
08-01-2004, 12:02 AM
Guess it's time to bring this one back up again (http://www.radiocontrolzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96448) . . . .

RCMadMatt
08-02-2004, 12:04 AM
I'm old. 38 years old. I play with r/c cars. Have since 1987. 6'1'', 260 lbs. Nobody calls me names. At least not to my face. If they know what's good for them. :mad:

I can't stand it when I hear someone teasing another about their little "toy cars". They thinks it's funny to make fun of other people's hobbies while they smoke and drink themselves into an early grave. At least they won't be around forever to bug people... :rolleyes:

Matt

Figit090
08-02-2004, 01:01 AM
jeezer, i juess i should prepare myself for public running... i haven't really done it much yet... i guess i'll have to post once i do huh?

Rocknbil - lol...i remember that one. He sure got his revenge. I wouldn't want to mess with him...might throw another fit...lol who was that anyways?

C.J.OO
08-02-2004, 02:42 AM
Hey Im 27 and am Damn Proud Of all 13 of my RCs I live across the road from one of the toughest pubs In the land and I sometimes run them i their car park ( where the Fights happen)..It maybe that I'm 110kg 6ft2" and nobody wants get me angry but im a Gentle giant.and the people that have taken the time to come and talk to me when Im bashing have mostly ended up buying an RC some of these guys are 40+ married with kids..Its really funny they Finish work go tothe pub for a few beers and a Bash in the parking lot with their RCs it really is a sight to be seen..I live in a small village and have started a RC Craze with all the Kids..they mostly have electric RCs but I am proud to know I have done My bit for RC..If they have a problem they come banging on my door and I am more than happy to help them out..I bet If you gave the Pizza Guy a Shot of your'e RC he too would be hooked and you'll se him at 6am playing with his TOY in the lot....lol.

vtl1180ny
08-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Hey, I'm 34 I'll sit out in front of my home, that I bought, and play with my RC's... In my garage on one side is my C3 Vette and the other side is my R1, Vfr, CB1 and about 15 RC cars, 2 heli's and an airplane... I may be a big kid, but I busted my butt for my toys... Oh, my best friend on my block is 14... Hahahaha.... He's my semi adopted son... He's my son's best friend too...

Spoon37
08-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Its really funny they Finish work go tothe pub for a few beers and a Bash in the parking lot with their RCs it really is a sight to be seen..

rofl - thats sounds great, but does it count as Drink Driving/D.U.I.? :p