PDA

View Full Version : Found my calling!

RCMayhem293
07-30-2004, 12:58 AM
Finally! A track in my area, and only 10 minutes away. It's a dirt oval, and it's sweet. There were about 8-9 guys there when I was there, but they said they usually have about 5-6 more. All the guys are really nice (which I sort of expected.) They all run B4's or XXX's, and it's 3 heats and 2-3 mains. I met this one guy and he let me take some laps around the track. It's harder than it looks! But still, it was a LOT more fun than I would have expected it to be. Looks like I have to get myself a buggy! Now the question is...Losi or AE? (I smell argument!)

Happy Racin'!

MicroMan
07-30-2004, 01:27 AM
Both will work good but I'd be more biased toward the XXX BK2 for oval. I've heard it works better for most applications, beside the fa that newer is cooler. Just be sure if you decide to do it, to re-position the battery and all the electronics all the way to the left side. MY .02 cents :)

C.J.OO
07-30-2004, 01:32 AM
Have you seen the RCCA dirt track article.?.
if you havent..Let me know and Ill send it to you Its a Great read and it tells you exactly what youll need it has three different speed way style set ups they look awsome...I wish there was one in Auss..lol..Id have to make my own RC is not verry big over here...But there are some Die hard RC mentals Me being one...

LasagnaCat
07-30-2004, 01:42 AM
There are oval conversion kits for the Losi buggies also, unless they're trying to keep them basically stock. The conversion kits are around $40 I think...? (And yes, of course.. on eBay) :)

RCMayhem293
07-30-2004, 02:07 AM
Yeah, they are trying to do a spec thing (but with stock motors). Yeah, I have the article on the "Dirt Outlaws," so I think I might try to start with a setup similar to the one mentioned in the article. Considering that it's all stock racing, what would be the best motor? I already have a Trinity Monster Stock. Would say an Orion or a Reedy be better?

Happy Racin'!

surfer
07-30-2004, 02:24 AM
AE, why? because AE owns all.

C.J.OO
07-30-2004, 03:18 AM
Yeah, they are trying to do a spec thing (but with stock motors). Yeah, I have the article on the "Dirt Outlaws," so I think I might try to start with a setup similar to the one mentioned in the article. Considering that it's all stock racing, what would be the best motor? I already have a Trinity Monster Stock. Would say an Orion or a Reedy be better?

Happy Racin'!

I am a NItro only guy so I have no idea about whats a good electric motor..
Its prolly best to ask on the other side of the tracks...lol.

ApriliaRacer
07-30-2004, 07:53 AM
Maybe you ought to consider one of the Custom Works cars.....

Years ago (late '80s) I bought a Custom Works Dominator 4. Great car specifically designed to run on dirt oval tracks. It was actually a converted Yokomo Dogfighter II.

But in any event it was a great car. Took many first places with it....

itdood
07-30-2004, 07:58 AM
I have a b4 but would recomend that you take a look at the LOSI. Some b4 guys have taken to switcing the front spindles to losi because we can't get decent rims. The only place I've found that makes them is pro-line and the rims suck. They wobble, bind and crack.

Check out this thread:

LOSI conversion (http://www.rc10b4.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=2931&highlight=losi+spindle)

I found out the hard way, I bought a set of pro-lines. Thankfully Tower took them back. Pro-line took 8 days to answer my email about them, by then I had decided to ship them back to Tower.

I now have to use B3 rims which have a different offset which I don't think is ROAR legal. I'm stuck with that until I do the conversion. The other benefit of the converion is a better LOSI design IMHO. Losi puts the bearings in the spindle instead of in the wheels.

baih
07-30-2004, 08:51 AM
who makes a oval conversion kit?

RCMayhem293
07-30-2004, 01:48 PM
Where can I find just a Losi XXX buggy? Everywhere I look it's just XXX-BK2 edition, and I can't see any plain XXX's. Did they stop making them since the BK2?

Happy racin'!