PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible?

RCMayhem293
08-08-2004, 04:46 PM
I have an old Tower Hobbies 420 AC/DC timer charger. Is it at all possible to make this into a power supply of some sort? I was thinking that I could switch the alligator clips with the charge leads. And then I could plug it into an outlet, and run my new DC Charger off of the "Power Supply." The only problem I see with this is that the "Power Supply" would not put out enough amps.

Any opinions or ideas? Thanks.

TC3B3L3T3GT
08-08-2004, 05:48 PM
In an AC/DC Charger there are usually two separate circuit boards, the power supply and the charger. If you can open it up and find which one is which, you can use it. Some of those things go up to around 4 or 5 amps, so you might be able to charge a pack at a decent speed. Just be sure to make a good place to mount it, because you don't want to screw it up by shorting it.

RCMayhem293
08-08-2004, 06:43 PM
Hrm...I don't think 5 amps would be enough. I would need to power an LRP Pulsar Competiton charger at 7 amps for 33 minutes...hmm...

RCMayhem293
08-08-2004, 07:22 PM
Ok, Test One: I switched the Alligator Clips with the Dean's plug I had on the charge leads. Just to check to make sure it would actually put out power, I hooked my motor up to it. As soon as I turned it on, the motor started spinning at full RPM. Considering that this is a Monster Stock motor, how many amps is my "power supply" sending through it?

Thanks.

Fluke
08-09-2004, 08:41 AM
I don't think it's a good idea to use the charger as power supply.better open it and use the power supply without the charger circuit