PDA

View Full Version : Any tips for removing stripped allen heads?

ler337
09-05-2004, 10:28 PM
Hello,

Well good old AE puts some of the WORST ALLENS in its cars...so anyboy got any tricks to gotting a stripped allen out?

Krasi_5000
09-05-2004, 10:37 PM
i dont think its the worst allens its the worst drivers wait did you mean drivers lol

I bought some good quality drivers and they work super, to get them out i suggest dremeleinng the top into a flathead and just use a screwdriver.

packerfan3022
09-05-2004, 10:43 PM
use a dremel and a cut-off wheel, notch the head and use a flat head screw driver.

HoLlOwPoInT
09-05-2004, 10:47 PM
Sometimes a little bigger allen wrench works too. Or try a mm wrench in a in screw or visa versa.

Hachi_Roku
09-05-2004, 11:45 PM
I have found a way to remove stripped screws from the chassis. Take a file or dremel and sand the screw head so that it is bare metal. Then apply a good amount of flux to it and apply some solder to the head of the screw. Make sure that the solder bonds with the whole screw head and not just parts of it. You can then solder a battery bar or some other metal object to the screw head. Once again make sure you have good contact and lots of solder for strength. You should than be able to remove the screw with pliers twisting the battery bar. It also works if you have ball ends that are broken in a part. You can add a dap of solder and solder something to it and twist it out. Good luck on removing your stripped screws:)

astainback
09-06-2004, 12:45 AM
the dremel idea is the best bet, but what if you strip the allen screw in a heatsink head on the engine??

Budman_222
09-06-2004, 01:09 AM
Then you're probably going to have to drill the head off the screw.

rccardude04
09-06-2004, 01:41 AM
If you're just using the crappy allen key drivers then go to your hobby shop and get some drivers that cost more than 5 bux apiece. By this i mean: Dynamite drivers, hudy drivers, RPM drivers, or losi drivers. Something DECENT. You'll be suprised to find out that most of it is probably your wrenches that are stripped and not so much the screws. Hope this helps.
-Eric

gotspeed_2000
09-06-2004, 03:36 AM
One set of good tools will last you along time along with saving you time dealing with striped screws. I have a set from bolink that I've had for over 10 years now. Three of them are still good, and the only one prone to breaking is a .50 driver. That's why I keep atleast two of them in my pit box. Quality tools from associated, trinity, hudy, etc(in no order) will last a long time and it's something you should really think about.

Krasi_5000
09-06-2004, 11:20 AM
lol i didnt bilieve you guys before but then i was starting to round off too many screws so i finally went out and bought some good LOSI drivers and now i havent stripped a screw since. Bilieve people when they say you should get new good quality allen drivers, i had the same expirience.

newracer
09-07-2004, 05:02 PM
The easiest way I have found to remove a stripped allen screw is to use an old, "L" allen wrench and glue it into the screw with CA then remove it and throw it away.

MORTER MAN
09-07-2004, 05:39 PM
If your stupid friend over tightened your head screws, you have to dremmel the heat sink head off, then dremmel a slot in the screws, then take them out with a flat head, this is the best way trust me I would know... :rolleyes:

Budman_222
09-07-2004, 07:37 PM
There's a brilliant plan. Save your dremmel, just use a hatchet to take the head off.

Disclaimer; Don't use a hatchet to take the head off.