PDA

View Full Version : Ensuring a free drivetrain

Tc3-dude
09-09-2004, 09:06 PM
I've been racing onroad carpet cars for about 3 years now. I race with stock motors. So an smooth drivetrain is important. Can somebody give me some tips on how to free up a drivtrain and make it run smoothly. I run 4wd shaft cars.

Thanks,
Paul

thunderbt3
09-09-2004, 09:13 PM
make sure u maintain ur bearings cleaning and lubeing

dont over tighten the wheel nuts

dont crank down on diffcases and bearing holders (im assuming u run a tc3)

theres a section in one of the new rc mags on how to blueprint the tc3 drive train

pballdude
09-09-2004, 10:33 PM
Good gear mesh.

AudiTT-Quattro
09-10-2004, 12:53 AM
For the third time... August issue of Touring Car Mag...

MdRC
09-10-2004, 02:17 AM
i dont use oil, i use graphite powder.

make a bearing break in stand and make sure they are broken in good.
or pratice aorund with a modded motor in the car to get things lose.

mook
09-10-2004, 12:59 PM
sounds daft -but make sure the bearings are seated correctly.

ElectricThunder
09-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Make sure the gear boxes are free of any debris and are well lubricated/assembled.

highroller
09-12-2004, 12:33 AM
Read over the manual's instructions, reread again if it isn't clear the first time. Go over the parts or bags to get familar with the parts inside along with the steps you will be performing. I usually glue up the tires first (24-48 hours glueing each side and allowing for CA to cure). Then prepping chassis, pan cars sanding and sealing chassis edges with CA, polishing kingpins/axles, reaming out suspension arms etc. As I get to drivetrain components each part is test fitted, check for flashing or teeth on gears that may no mesh correctly - they are filed or sanded in the case of the TC3 endplay of gears and shaft are checked - if excessive play is noted a washer is installed or if too tight - again sanding of filing the area until it feels free. Occassional over the years I have overdone it and had to buy a replacement part - but mostly the extra work taken in assembly pays off with a smooth, quiet car.

After assembly is completed you can spin the wheels and note how long it tends to rotate how free it's going to be on certain cars. Check off each step in manual as you complete it. Many manuals include a parts suppliment, setup area for the vehicle in many cases that is a good starting point for a majority of different track layouts. Whenever I buy a new kit for racing, I also purchase alot of the aftermarket parts I feel enhances vehicle performance and encorporate them as I build it. For a new first time vehicle I generally run it as it comes and try aftermarket parts later.

Tc3-dude
09-12-2004, 09:04 AM
thanks alot for the guys. I'll look into that technique highroller.