PDA

View Full Version : help me charge my stick, please

elRey
06-07-2000, 10:41 PM
a 1700 sanyo 7.2v 6 cell stick pack
and
a old charger with a currnet adjuster and 15 min timer with a booster toggle
How should I go about charging my power pack?

Thanks,
Rey

SteveP
06-08-2000, 10:04 AM
Here's some basic information you can use to estimate charging time: The mAh rating is the capacity of the battery pack, much like the size of a fuel tank in a car. If a car has a 25-gallon tank and the filling station pump delivers 10 gallons an hour, it will take 2.5 hours to fill the tank (thankfully, pumps are a little faster than that!). Your 1700 pack has a capacity of 1700 mAh, or 1.7 Ah (amp/hours). Translated, it would take roughly one hour to charge you battery at a 1.7 amp rate (assuming the pack was fully discharged). Likewise, your battery will deliver 1.7 amps of current for one hour.

So, if you have a charger that can deliver up to five amps, it would deliver 5 amp/hours, or 5000 mAh (milliamp/hours) in 60 minutes. Your charger has a 15-minute timer however, so we need to figure out how many mAh it will deliver in 15 minutes. If the charger can deliver 5000 mA in an hour, and 15 minutes is 1/4 of an hour, 5000 mAh divided by 4 equals 1250 mAh. Divide the capacity of your battery (1700 mAh) by the amount of charge delivered in one crank of the 15-minute dial (1250 mAh) and you roughly know how many times around the dial it will take to charge your battery (1.36 times). Multiply 1.36 by the number of minutes on the dial and you've estimated approximate charge time (20.4 minutes @ 5 amps).
This is just a general rule of thumb, and you should never leave a charging battery unattended. There's a chance of overcharging the battery if the pack isn't complete drained before charging, or it may take 2 or 3 minutes longer. As soon as the battery become warm to the touch, it's fully charged and should be removed from the charger right away.

Hope this helps.

Steve

elRey
06-08-2000, 06:17 PM
you've been a great help all around.

Thanks